Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5
Author Message
 Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

Quote:

> I can view vrml at other sites all day long--only my
>site does this.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  Does the server
>have to support VRML for it to work?  Any ideas will be much
>appreciated.  Thanks

I had exactly the same problem myself a couple of days ago, and I
solved it thanks to the advice of another person posting to this group
(not long ago in fact) - I'll repeat what he posted:

Quote:
>>You need to change a file called "mime.types" which you probably don't
>>have access to. However, the following usually works:
>>put a file called ".htaccess" in the directory where your homepage is,
>>and add the line:
>>AddType x-world/x-vrml wrl
>>This should tell the http server that when it encounters a file with the
>>extension .wrl it should send it as type x-world/x-vrml. If this doesn't
>>work, it's because your system administrator has disabled this function,
>>and you'll need to ask him to do that for you.

>>Aviram Jenik
>>G-Tek Technologies LTD.

It's quite possible that the AddType function is disabled on your web
server (I am told that it creates a security risk). If this is the
case, then the best thing to do would probably be to contact your
webmaster and get him/her to add the .wrl extension to the MIME types,
and you should have no problem after that (make sure you remember to
hit "reload" though :-) )

Martin.
--
Visit the Black and Offwhite Zone- http://www.*-*-*.com/
WARNING: walking through doors can be habit forming.

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

Quote:

>Howdy.  I spent about 8 hours converting my logo to VRML then uploaded
>it to my web site.  Well, the thing worked great when loaded with
>Netscape 3.0 beta 5 off the hard disk, but when I go to view it it just
>loads it as text.  I can view VRML at other sites all day long--only my
>site does this.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  Does the server
>have to support VRML for it to work?  Any ideas will be much
>appreciated.  Thanks
>http://www.wcc.net/~jon/outback.wrl/
>--
>Jon Lind                        INET Consultants

>wk (915) 949-2093               http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/inet/
>hm (915) 949-8308               http://www.wcc.net/~jon/
>Uniqely Texas Virtual Mall      http://www.UniquelyTexas.com/

Yes. As you can see above this question rises everyt once in a while:
you have to set up your mime types files so your server will know to
send the vrml file to netscape as "x-world/x-vrml" and not as text, to
do that, search for a file called "mime.types" and add a line that
associates .wrl files to x-world/x-vrml.

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

Quote:

> Howdy.  I spent about 8 hours converting my logo to VRML then uploaded
> it to my web site.  Well, the thing worked great when loaded with
> Netscape 3.0 beta 5 off the hard disk, but when I go to view it it just
> loads it as text.  I can view VRML at other sites all day long--only my
> site does this.  Any ideas on why this is happening?  Does the server
> have to support VRML for it to work?  Any ideas will be much
> appreciated.  Thanks

Yes, your server should support VRML.
It is easy to do: I have just added line

AddType x-world/x-vrml wrl

to srm.conf file and restarted the server.
I think the same effect would be reached by adding line

x-world/x-vrml wrl

to file mime.types

Best regards,
   Vladimir

--
--------------------------------------
Dr. V.Bulatov,  Research associate

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

Quote:

> Yes, your server should support VRML.
> It is easy to do: I have just added line

> AddType x-world/x-vrml wrl

> to srm.conf file and restarted the server.
> I think the same effect would be reached by adding line

> x-world/x-vrml wrl

> to file mime.types

> Best regards,
>    Vladimir

I've been having difficulties with my server also.  I edited my
.mime.types file and included the line:

        x-world/x-vrml wrl

after having made this change, I reloaded the .wrl file.  Before
it loaded as a text file, now it loads another text file that has
been "scrunched" together...it's almost as if all of the spaces
were taken out.  What happened?

--Greg

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

sounds like you dont have the vrml mime time loaded on your web server

--
**************************Borderlands of
Reality******************************

Fool, Madman, Artist, and Poet                http://faust.homecom.com
                                              (also:

Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Load .wrl Files, View it, centered in View

2. .WRL files viewed as ZIP files

3. file.wrl#view in Internet Explorer doesn′t work

4. How do I view my own wrl files???

5. No bind on variable View (801) attempting ot open the currewnt view

6. Controller/View question (dealing with view bounds)

7. Views, fields in views and run-time record declaration

8. View Position relative to Parent View

9. Orthogonal view / 2D view

10. C++/Views: A Model-View-Controller Library for C++

11. File I/O Operations on Secondary VIEW(ed) Files

12. Using files from Robolab pilot as seed files for inventor level or lab view