Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?
Author Message
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?

Hi everyone,
    I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
texture). I've been able to do this just fine in vrml browsers, but I need a
way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to the
user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has anyone
come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but these
are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

Thanks,
Andrew Jorgensen

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 06:32:07 GMT
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?
whos gonna flame u, java is a perfectly reasonable thing to use if the
situation calls for it, which it seems to in your case.
i can't help u with the actual Java applets u need, but i'm sure P Flavin
will give u more than enough info in that area.
While i don't know of any programs already out there for scaling down an
ElevationGrid, i could probably make you a simple one if nescessary. and if
those Java 3d viewers are to slow, then u will probably have to just scale
down the mesh, Java is slower than native programs, not much u can do about
that..
db
Quote:
>     I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
> texture). I've been able to do this just fine in VRML browsers, but I need
> way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
> rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to the
> user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
> commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has
anyone
> come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
> geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but
these
> are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:00:31 GMT
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?

Hi Andrew,

height field rendering can be rendered using much simple techniques
compared to render arbitrary 3D poly soups.
E.g. scanline or simple polygon back to front sorting using a 2D draw
polygon
function.

I have no concrete links, but I am very shure that there are tons of "my
first cool Java applet" style demos in the NET or the techniques are
explained in basic 3d books.

-- Holger

Quote:
> Hi everyone,
>     I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
> texture). I've been able to do this just fine in VRML browsers, but I need
> way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
> rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to the
> user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
> commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has
anyone
> come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
> geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but
these
> are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

> Thanks,
> Andrew Jorgensen

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:32:39 GMT
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?
Hmm, I'm sure I need to scale the mesh down, but I'd like to do it without
loosing too much detail. I'm told that quality image scaling is done by
blurring the image by the right amount, then resampling. I could do this by
converting to an image, then back to a mesh. Any further ideas? Has anyone
done this with elevation data?

-Andrew

Quote:
> whos gonna flame u, java is a perfectly reasonable thing to use if the
> situation calls for it, which it seems to in your case.
> i can't help u with the actual Java applets u need, but i'm sure P Flavin
> will give u more than enough info in that area.
> While i don't know of any programs already out there for scaling down an
> ElevationGrid, i could probably make you a simple one if nescessary. and
if
> those Java 3d viewers are to slow, then u will probably have to just scale
> down the mesh, Java is slower than native programs, not much u can do
about
> that..
> db
> >     I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
> > texture). I've been able to do this just fine in VRML browsers, but I
need
> > way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
> > rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to
the
> > user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
> > commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has
> anyone
> > come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
> > geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but
> these
> > are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:47:36 GMT
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?
I'm not sure that would be the best way to go, but I'll run it by some
people here. It would involve heavy development. I'm fascinated though.

-Andrew

Quote:

> Hi Andrew,

> height field rendering can be rendered using much simple techniques
> compared to render arbitrary 3D poly soups.
> E.g. scanline or simple polygon back to front sorting using a 2D draw
> polygon
> function.

> I have no concrete links, but I am very shure that there are tons of "my
> first cool Java applet" style demos in the NET or the techniques are
> explained in basic 3d books.

> -- Holger

> > Hi everyone,
> >     I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
> > texture). I've been able to do this just fine in VRML browsers, but I
need
> > way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
> > rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to
the
> > user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
> > commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has
> anyone
> > come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
> > geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but
> these
> > are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

> > Thanks,
> > Andrew Jorgensen

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:49:27 GMT
 Terrain in VRML / Java3D ?

Hi Blakie,
        For terrain modelling there is a neat applet where you can model on line
and then save as VRMl. You have to go to the download page to get your file.
There are just numbered sequentially so you have to suck them to see if the file
is yours. Its at:-
http://www.irony.com/igmmte/

John

Quote:

> whos gonna flame u, java is a perfectly reasonable thing to use if the
> situation calls for it, which it seems to in your case.
> i can't help u with the actual Java applets u need, but i'm sure P Flavin
> will give u more than enough info in that area.
> While i don't know of any programs already out there for scaling down an
> ElevationGrid, i could probably make you a simple one if nescessary. and if
> those Java 3d viewers are to slow, then u will probably have to just scale
> down the mesh, Java is slower than native programs, not much u can do about
> that..
> db
> >     I need to render a piece of terrain (the real stuff, usgs dem w/
> > texture). I've been able to do this just fine in VRML browsers, but I need
> > way to do it without plugins. Don't flame me for asking about Java, I'd
> > rather use the plugin myself, but the customer wants it transparent to the
> > user, so it looks like java is the way to go. Are there any free (for
> > commercial use) applets that are optimized for ElevationGrids? Or has
> anyone
> > come up with a good way to scale down the resolution of the terrain
> > geometry? The customer might like to pay for Shout3D or Blaxxun3D, but
> these
> > are *way* too slow with real terrain geometry.

  softscan.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:17:09 GMT

1. VRML EAI problems: Java3d solves many portabilty problems of VRML

2. Q:Terrain following in VRML 2.0

3. Compared: VRML, Java & Java3d for Flocking & Fractal Terrain

4. Java3D vs VRML

5. Status of the VRML browser for Java3D?

6. Java application incorporating VRML and Java3D...

7. Thoughts about the Java3D-VRML browser...

8. Java3D and VRML

9. Differences bet Java3D and VRML?

10. Java3D VRML browser

11. What I should choose Java3D or Vrml?

12. VRML/EAI or Java3D?