official NURBS urn
Author Message
 official NURBS urn

Hi !

I currently try to write a GPL NurbsSurface PROTO based on
Stephan F. White's implemenation in javascript
see http://www.*-*-*.com/
(slow, not animation yet). At least this works with cosmoplayer 2.1
on SGI IRIX - don't ask me why it works 8-(

What urn has to be used in a EXTERNPROTO extension, so it will not
conflict with the cc3d or cortona (extend list here) build in
implementation ?

http://www.*-*-*.com/

so long
MUFTI
--
Gabeln nicht m?glich: zu viele Prozesse
       (deutsche Fehlermeldung von SCO OpenServer 5.0.4, Stichwort: fork)

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:48:03 GMT
 official NURBS urn
Blaxxun doesn't like some of ParallelGraphics extra files namely
exposedField MFFloat distance
 exposedField MFFloat quality

So leave those out.
Try this:

EXTERNPROTO NurbsSurface[
 field SFInt32 uDimension
 field SFInt32 vDimension
 field MFFloat uKnot
 field MFFloat vKnot
 field SFInt32 uOrder
 field SFInt32 vOrder
 exposedField MFVec3f controlPoint
 exposedField MFFloat weight
 exposedField SFInt32 uTessellation
 exposedField SFInt32 vTessellation
 exposedField SFNode texCoord
 field SFBool ccw
 field SFBool solid
 ]
["urn:inet:blaxxun.com:node:NurbsSurface",
 "urn:ParaGraph:NurbsSurface",

"http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/proto/Cortona/extensions.wrl#Nur...
ace",
 "http://www.blaxxun.com/vrml/protos/nurbs.wrl#NurbsSurface",
 "nodes.wrl#NurbsSurface"]

Or you could just  use my VrmlPad macro which does this :)
http://vrml.at/vrmlworlds/software/

Quote:
> Hi !

> I currently try to write a GPL NurbsSurface PROTO based on
> Stephan F. White's implemenation in javascript
> see http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/NurbsSurface_example.wrl
> (slow, not animation yet). At least this works with cosmoplayer 2.1
> on SGI IRIX - don't ask me why it works 8-(

> What urn has to be used in a EXTERNPROTO extension, so it will not
> conflict with the cc3d or cortona (extend list here) build in
> implementation ?

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...
tensions.html
Quote:

> so long
> MUFTI
> --
> Gabeln nicht m?glich: zu viele Prozesse
>        (deutsche Fehlermeldung von SCO OpenServer 5.0.4, Stichwort: fork)

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 08:48:02 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:
> Hi !

> I currently try to write a GPL NurbsSurface PROTO based on
> Stephan F. White's implemenation in javascript
> see http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/NurbsSurface_example.wrl
> (slow, not animation yet). At least this works with cosmoplayer 2.1
> on SGI IRIX - don't ask me why it works 8-(

> What urn has to be used in a EXTERNPROTO extension, so it will not
> conflict with the cc3d or cortona (extend list here) build in
> implementation ?

> http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...

See the added Clause G in:

  <http://web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/vrml97am1/fdam/index.html>

However, the closest thing I've been able to find to a registration of
the "web3d" NID is an expired Internet Draft; so I'm not sure if it's
really legitimate.

Braden

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:53:08 GMT
 official NURBS urn
Hello Mufti

I&#8217;m sorry &#8217;cause I won&#8217;t answer to your question,
but have you ever heard of the NurbsSurface PROTO developed by
cortona. You can see how it works at
http://www.geocities.com/kafarnom/projet/NurbsCortona.html

Good luck
Julien

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:55:15 GMT
 official NURBS urn
Look at this, could help:

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/index.html
http://libnurbs.sourceforge.net/

::VRMLsuck::Bart
http://www.neeneenee.de/vrml/

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:21:28 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:

> but have you ever heard of the NurbsSurface PROTO developed by
> cortona. You can see how it works at
> http://www.geocities.com/kafarnom/projet/NurbsCortona.html

It looks like, the examples only point to

http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/proto/Cortona/extensions.wrl#Nur...

which looks likes only a empty pointset:

PROTO NurbsSurface[
]
{
        PointSet {}

Quote:
}

blaxxun's implementation seams to use a IndexedLineSet...

Currently i have

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...

(Example: http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...)

but i found no way to smuggle the texCoord field over the interface
in a legal way. It runs only in cosmoplayer (tested with version 2.1.5
on IRIX and the version 2.1.1 on M$Windows).
With cc3d or cortona, it is useless, cause their build in implementation
is used.

so long
MUFTI
--
The following error was found:
We need your fax number in order to respect your wishes not to receive faxes.

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:32:40 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:
> http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/index.html

Wrong interface (no exposedField's and mixing controlPoint and weight as
"controlPoints").

But more important:

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/README

| Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
| and its documentation for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes

Wrong license 8-(

so long
MUFTI
--
The following error was found:
We need your fax number in order to respect your wishes not to receive faxes.
                    - Fehlermeldung der Registration page von MSDN

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:36:21 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Why go from Java to Javascript ?

Java is faster more modular.

What's are the design goals ?

I understand you want the source code
with fewer restrictions ( GPL ), but
a re-write in Javascript is no more free of
copyright restrictions than a re-write in Java.
You have a clear claim it was re-typed
but if you're concerned about claims of
intelectual property constraints a
line by line tanslation to a syntacically
similar language wouldn't avoid legal problems.

If it just seams like a fun thing to do, fine.

I have some Nurbs stuff running in pure java
and in fact translated some Javascript to Java:

Nurbs, Bezier Curves & Level of Detail Modeling
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/nurbs.html
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/lod_modelling.html
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/Bezier.java
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/Nurbs/tall_ship_nu...

  If you're targeting an SGI IRIX, Java3d is a possibility.

Quote:
> Hi !

> I currently try to write a GPL NurbsSurface PROTO based on
> Stephan F. White's implemenation in javascript
> see http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/NurbsSurface_example.wrl
> (slow, not animation yet). At least this works with cosmoplayer 2.1
> on SGI IRIX - don't ask me why it works 8-(

> What urn has to be used in a EXTERNPROTO extension, so it will not
> conflict with the cc3d or cortona (extend list here) build in
> implementation ?

> http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...

> so long
> MUFTI

  -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
  --------------------------------------
"Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:41:27 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:

> Why go from Java to Javascript ?

I did not gone from java to javascript.
I gone from C++ to javascript.

There are two reasons to use javascript at this point:

- I want to have a solution without java too (e.g. for browsers without
  java support or java switched off).

- Today, this experimental code. It still have to find out, how to
  implement this node in a way as near as possible to the vrml standard.
  Currently there is still a open problem (using texCoord) and i have
  my doubts, if the the code is legal.
  It is very much easier and faster, to make large changes in a program
  written in javascript than in java.

Quote:
> Java is faster

If all problems are solved, i can think about a port to java.
Just see the javascript implementation as a rapid prototype.

Quote:
> more modular.

Not a big problem for 3 essential functions 8-)

Quote:
> What's are the design goals ?

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...

| NurbsSurface (and other Nurbs objects) are part of
| the coming VRML200x VRML standard. Some
| VRML97 browsers like cc3d or cortona already have the NurbsSurface Node
| available, while most other browser do not support it yet.

| White_dune support the NurbsSurface, but this would be useless for other
| browsers.

Quote:
> I understand you want the source code
> with fewer restrictions ( GPL ), but
> a re-write in Javascript is no more free of
> copyright restrictions than a re-write in Java.
> You have a clear claim it was re-typed

retyped ????
What you are talking about ?

As you can read in the copyright statement, i only modified a existing
c++ program. The c++ program itself is published under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...

| # Developed from NodeNurbsSurface.cpp of the vrml97 editor dune
| # Copyright (C) 1999 Stephen F. White
| #
| # PROTO interface and javascript port
| # Copyright (C) 2003 J. "MUFTI" Scheurich
| #
| # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| # it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
| # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
| # (at your option) any later version.

Quote:
> but if you're concerned about claims of
> intelectual property constraints a
> line by line tanslation to a syntacically
> similar language wouldn't avoid legal problems.

I see no legal problems to modify a source publiced under the GNU General
Public License . Cause javascript programs can not be used without to
public the source, all rules of the GNU General Public License has been
followed at any time.

Quote:
> I have some Nurbs stuff running in pure java
> and in fact translated some Javascript to Java:

8-)

Quote:
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/Nurbs/tall_ship_nu...

When you have a NURBS implementation, why don't you use it ?

|# Error parsing 'NurbsSurface' at line 67: node not found
|  Abort fetch: http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/Nurbs/tall_ship_nu...

| NurbsSurface { coord Coordinate { point [-2.2 .3 -.4 -1.21 .299 -

Not compatible to the new standard. At least not conforming to

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...

NurbsSurface do not have a "coord" field. Only controlPoint and weight
fields come close.

Quote:
>  If you're targeting an SGI IRIX, Java3d is a possibility.

But not, if the target is Cosmoplayer (and maybe other VRML browsers,
which do not support a native NurbsSurface implementation).

BTW: has anyone tested

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...

with the Mac port of cosmoplayer ?

so long
MUFTI
--
Wenn Sie ein Videospiel benutzen, das am Bildschirm angeschlossen
ist, sollten Sie entsprechend der Anschlusskabellaenge Abstand vom

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:43:17 GMT
 official NURBS urn
I'm sorry I misunderstood,
I thought you were looking at the Ocnus
Java implementationa and re-writing it in
Javascript:

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/index.html
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsSurface.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsCurve.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/BezierSurface.wrl

Nurbs in VRML had only gotten to
the proposal stage and I thought the
proposals differed, and hence no VRML standard
for it at this time ( that's my understanding ).

Some of the Bezier & Nurbs stuff I did was
based on Evgeny Demidov's work with Javascript
which I converted to Java which works on the
page below using his Nurbs variation.

| A VRML Spline Editor that is free, portable, & open source
|
| is an effort started by Evgeny Demidov ...
|
| 3D VRML Lab & Java Arts are Dr. Demidov's
|  excellent illustrated ( and interactive )
| tutorial & overview of 3d modeling with
|  sample programs, VRML files, and opinions.
|
| The Splined Shark ( above ) is based on his program
| ( Bezier.java )...
|
| To understand it, please see his pages which
| you will enjoy ! !
|
| * Splines & 3D Sculptures for Web

http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/nurbs.html

  Evgeny is still doing interactive Web 3d,
but he's gone from using VRML with a plug-in
to mostly using Just Java, and doing fractals
and more more purely mathematical things.

I would disagree ( would that suprise you ? )
that Javascript is faster for developing new
code: Java has better support for integrated
developement environments ( IDEs ) that do
type checking, syntax senstive editing,
debugging, & etc that makes the developers
time more productive.

  You can always compile Java into compiled
code so you don't need Java VM on the target
machine so the idea that C++ has advantages
in that respect is not true.

  I'm sorry I was mistaken in my understanding
of what you were doing.

Quote:

> [...]

>>and in fact translated some Javascript to Java:

> 8-)

>>http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/Nurbs/tall_ship_nu...

> When you have a NURBS implementation, why don't you use it ?

> |# Error parsing 'NurbsSurface' at line 67: node not found
> |  Abort fetch: http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/Nurbs/tall_ship_nu...

> | NurbsSurface { coord Coordinate { point [-2.2 .3 -.4 -1.21 .299 -

> Not compatible to the new standard. At least not conforming to

> http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...

> NurbsSurface do not have a "coord" field. Only controlPoint and weight
> fields come close.

>> If you're targeting an SGI IRIX, Java3d is a possibility.

> But not, if the target is Cosmoplayer (and maybe other VRML browsers,
> which do not support a native NurbsSurface implementation).

  I thought your post about " Wrong license 8-( "
meant you liked the code but not the license:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&selm=b0m385%24gjg%242%40news.uni-...

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsSurface.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsCurve.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/BezierSurface.wrl

Nurbs in action with Java with Shout3d & without with IDE shown
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_script_dev.gif

  -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
  --------------------------------------
"Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:02:13 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:

> Currently i have

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...
bsSurfacePROTO.wrl
Quote:

> (Example:

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/dune/docs/vrml200x_nurbssurf...
bsSurface_example.wrl)

Quote:

> but i found no way to smuggle the texCoord field over the interface
> in a legal way. It runs only in cosmoplayer (tested with version 2.1.5
> on IRIX and the version 2.1.1 on M$Windows).
> With cc3d or cortona, it is useless, cause their build in implementation
> is used.

Well what is the problem exactly ?

If you need to access any number of PROTO exposedFields from a script use
this. Basically use a new PROTO to access/route to and from, any number of
fields. Legal ? yes of course. Some of the fallback PROTOs are starting to
use it  :)

#VRML V2.0 utf8
PROTO NurbsSurface [
exposedField SFNode  texCoord NULL
]
{
 Group {
  PROTO _fields_ [
   exposedField SFNode  texCoord NULL
  ]{Group {}}
  children [
   DEF Fields _fields_ {
    texCoord IS texCoord
   }
   DEF Scr Script {
 field SFNode fields USE Fields
 directOutput TRUE
 # ....

Quote:
}
]
}
}

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:00:50 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:
>> but i found no way to smuggle the texCoord field over the interface
>> in a legal way.
> Well what is the problem exactly ?
>  PROTO _fields_ [
>   exposedField SFNode  texCoord NULL
>  ]{Group {}}
>  children [
>   DEF Fields _fields_ {
>    texCoord IS texCoord
>   }

AFAIK, it is not legal to use a texCoord field without a geometry node.

And with a geometry node, there are rules like the following for
IndexFaceset:

| If the greatest index in the texCoordIndex/coordIndex field is N,
| then there shall be N+1 texture coordinates in the TextureCoordinate node.

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/vrml97/part1/nodesR...

so your can not simply use something like

PROTO _fields_ [
   exposedField SFNode  texCoord NULL
  ]
{
    Shape
      {
      geometry       IndexedFaceSet
        {
        texCoord IS texCoord
          {
          }
        }
      }

Quote:
}

8-(

so long
MUFTI
--
Aushilfsappart Anschluss
                     (Meldung Maxtron Maustreiber, Stichwort: auxillary)

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:28:55 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:
> >> but i found no way to smuggle the texCoord field over the interface
> >> in a legal way.

> > Well what is the problem exactly ?

> >  PROTO _fields_ [
> >   exposedField SFNode  texCoord NULL
> >  ]{Group {}}
> >  children [
> >   DEF Fields _fields_ {
> >    texCoord IS texCoord
> >   }

> AFAIK, it is not legal to use a texCoord field without a geometry node.

Sure it is. There's no restriction on what an arbitrary SFNode field
can contain.

Of course, a TextureCoordinate node will not be *rendered* unless it
is associated with a geometry via Shape.

Braden

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:22:29 GMT
 official NURBS urn

Quote:
> and hence no VRML standard
> for it at this time ( that's my understanding ).

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/Part0...
s/nurbs.html#NurbsSurface

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...
ef.html#NurbsSurface

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:25:05 GMT
 official NURBS urn

As Joe Williams points out X3d has Nurbs ...

| X3D Specification, ISO/IEC 19775-1:200x, Part 1 - 27 NURBS ...

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/Part0...

  My minor point was that the VRML-97 Spec did not,
though there were proposed extensions.

  Some code including the refered to Ocnus Java implementation
predates the X3d spec as does Evgeny Demidov's and mine.

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/index.html
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsSurface.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/NurbsCurve.java
http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/BezierSurface.wrl

| Nurb Surfaces are proposed extensions to future versions of VRML:
|

|  Nurbs Surface   Blaxxun's proposed Extensions :
|
| |  NurbsSurface { ...
| |                 exposedField MFVec3f  controlPoint  [ ]  ...
| |                 field        SFBool   solid         TRUE ...
| |  }     |

|  X3D proposed extensions ( web3d.org ) :
|
| |  Draft Specification Extension
| |
| |  NURBS Overview and Proposal from Holger Grahn, blaxxun.
| |
| |

http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/nurbs.html

Quote:

>>and hence no VRML standard
>>for it at this time ( that's my understanding ).

> http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/Part0...
> s/nurbs.html#NurbsSurface

> http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_14772-All/p...
> ef.html#NurbsSurface

  VRML is small subset of the Mathematheical World.

  Splines, Bezier Curves, Nurbs Patches exist in
Math, Java, and VRML -- not just VRML -- and
VRML / X3d implementations trail developments in
Math & Java3d.

  Joe, please ask Justin Couch and Alan Hudson to
stop lying about the Sun VRML Loaders, if you're
not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

  Web3d.org's VRML based H-Anim Avatars can be animated
with the Sun VRML Loaders in a browser without certificates
and the Prentice-Hall book, Justin Couch & Aaron Waslsh
tried & failed and are unreliable, unethical, and unprofessional.

If the 'new' X3d Loaders Fail use the Reliable Sun VRML Loaders
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_loaders_working.html

Joe D. Williams was quoting from my comment __ about VRML ___
__ not __ about __ x3d __, the subject of his reply.

Joe was quoting from this text:

| Nurbs in VRML had only gotten to
| the proposal stage and I thought the
| proposals differed,
|
| ___ and hence no VRML standard for it at this time
| ___ ( that's my understanding ).  ___
|
| Some of the Bezier & Nurbs stuff I did was
| based on Evgeny Demidov's work with Javascript
| which I converted to Java which works on the
| page below using his Nurbs variation.
|
| A VRML Spline Editor that is free, portable, & open source
|
| is an effort started by Evgeny Demidov ... ...

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/nurbs.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&selm=9mUX9.37267%24KA6.1708%40twi...

  which links to Nurbs example on the web that
works without a VRML plug-in, but as it predates
the X3d spec, it is not in compliance with it,
but the math is the same, and sometimes
implementations precede formalized specifications.

  -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
  --------------------------------------
"Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:04:15 GMT

1. urn scheme

2. ISO: A generalize enhancement to Tcl file accessing to handle URI/URN/URLs

3. URNs, URIs, URLs, content negotiation and all that

4. Splines, NURBS, B├ęzier curves

5. VRML browser for NURBS

6. Blaxxun VRML NURBS plug-in also in R3???

7. Cosmo player 2.1 under MacOS and nurbs

8. NURBS

9. NURBs in VRML?

10. vrml+nurbs again

11. cool NURBS modeling program that can export VRML 2.0 -- free beta --

12. vrml+nurbs