newbie with a question
Author Message
 newbie with a question

hello,

i'm miker.  i'm just wading into the vrml world and i'm playing with a
trial version of Internet Space Builder from parallel graphics right now.
i've done some crude character animations in povray, so i do have
a working knowledge of 3D math and objects.

what vrml generator would you recommend i use?  my price range is
about $100 US.  the rev crispen mentioned spazz3D.

i've been surfing looking for vrml development sites.  many of them
are years old, unmaintained, and filled with broken links.  can you
steer me to some good sites?  what are some good books on the
subject (that are still in print, that is.).

and this question should have been first:  does the newsgroup have a
faq page that i should be reading before posting newbie questions?

thank you, miker

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:11:08 GMT
 newbie with a question
Yup, sure is. Rev. Bob maintains it.  It's part of
<http://hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrml/>.
Quote:

> and this question should have been first:  does the newsgroup have a
> faq page that i should be reading before posting newbie questions?

> thank you, miker

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:11:02 GMT
 newbie with a question
best places to start learning VRML, are a basic text editor and this web
site:
http://www.sdsc.edu/siggraph96vrml/
best tutorial, the only one i needed to learn VRML. after that a good
reference to have handy is the VRML 97 speicification downloadable in
various formats from www.vrml.org
oh yeah VRMLPad from www.parallelgraphics.com is really usefull for writing
VRML.
db

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:25:58 GMT
 newbie with a question
You should also learn Javascript and maybe Java as these are the inbuilt
programming languages available in VRML for more complex tasks.

I will be putting some tutorials on some vrml and javascript things that
haven't been covered else where.

Quote:
> hello,

> i'm miker.  i'm just wading into the vrml world and i'm playing with a
> trial version of Internet Space Builder from parallel graphics right now.
> i've done some crude character animations in povray, so i do have
> a working knowledge of 3D math and objects.

> what vrml generator would you recommend i use?  my price range is
> about $100 US.  the rev crispen mentioned spazz3D.

> i've been surfing looking for vrml development sites.  many of them
> are years old, unmaintained, and filled with broken links.  can you
> steer me to some good sites?  what are some good books on the
> subject (that are still in print, that is.).

> and this question should have been first:  does the newsgroup have a
> faq page that i should be reading before posting newbie questions?

> thank you, miker

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:53:33 GMT
 newbie with a question
Quote:
> You should also learn Javascript and maybe Java as these are the inbuilt
> programming languages available in VRML for more complex tasks.

> I will be putting some tutorials on some vrml and javascript things that
> haven't been covered else where.

learning general JavaScript (or JavaScript for HTML) might not be the best
idea, as i find VRML has a far better structure for JavaScript which would
be more usefull to know. the tutorial i sited in my last msg has a basic
intro to JavaScript in VRML, and the VRML spec has more info on objects and
methods that are available.
db

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:55:37 GMT
 newbie with a question
thank you for the comments and suggestions.  i was going to work hard
evaluating parallelgraphics internet space builder before the trial ran out,
but i looked at the docs again and i don't think it runs out... its just
limited.
and i guess it is a good idea to walk thru that tutorial and at least knock
some code by hand.  although almost the first thing i started doing in
povray
was writing little C++ programs to generate meshes and such...  it doesn't
take long in 3D work before a gui starts looking good, but i know that if
you can't write the code by hand then you really don't know what the
language
can do.

i've ordered a couple books on the subject.  i think the vrml 2 sourcebook
and i can't remember the other one.

i actually had a brief intro to vrml about 3 years ago.  i am amazed at some
of the capabilities now!  all the talk about scripting in java and
javascript...
i can even run a flash swf thru it!  way cool.

thanks again, miker

Quote:
> hello,

> i'm miker.  i'm just wading into the vrml world and i'm playing with a
> trial version of Internet Space Builder from parallel graphics right now.
> i've done some crude character animations in povray, so i do have
> a working knowledge of 3D math and objects.

> what vrml generator would you recommend i use?  my price range is
> about $100 US.  the rev crispen mentioned spazz3D.

> i've been surfing looking for vrml development sites.  many of them
> are years old, unmaintained, and filled with broken links.  can you
> steer me to some good sites?  what are some good books on the
> subject (that are still in print, that is.).

> and this question should have been first:  does the newsgroup have a
> faq page that i should be reading before posting newbie questions?

> thank you, miker

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:28:08 GMT
 newbie with a question

Quote:
> but i know that if
> you can't write the code by hand then you really don't know what the
> language
> can do.

very true.
db

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:35:29 GMT
 newbie with a question

saying on 01 Mar 2001:

Quote:
>best places to start learning VRML, are a basic text editor and this
>web site:
>http://www.sdsc.edu/siggraph96vrml/
>best tutorial, the only one i needed to learn VRML.

Dave says he likes the one at
<http://www.sdsc.edu/~nadeau/Courses/Siggraph98vrml/> better than that
one.  I think the examples are a little nicer for sure, and it seems to
be a little better organized.

In absolute agreement with you about Dave's course, though.  It's a
real gem.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:47:31 GMT
 newbie with a question
Quote:
> Dave says he likes the one at
> <http://www.sdsc.edu/~nadeau/Courses/Siggraph98vrml/> better than that
> one.  I think the examples are a little nicer for sure, and it seems to
> be a little better organized.

yeah i found that one when i went to find the old one i did. checked out
some of the Java stuff, but i never could get JSAI n stuff to work properly
neway...
that tutorial seems to have alot more in it, looks good
db

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:43:47 GMT

1. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

2. Newbie, View Composer question.

3. Newbie assembler language question,pls help.

4. Newbie assembler language question,pls help.

5. Newbie PC370 simulator question

6. Newbie Sprite Surface Questions

7. Newbie Sprite Surface Question...

8. Newbie GemStone server questions

9. NEWBIE ATTACK:Some questions

10. Newbie, File generating question and mailing list problem..

11. Newbie Forth OS question

12. Newbie's question: equivalent of .s for floating-point stack