how to change colors of a 3d car?
Author Message
 how to change colors of a 3d car?

does anybody know the vrml codes
that would allow an 3d object to
changes its colors as specified by a user?

I've tried TouchSensor but ir doesn't work?
Would appreciate any help.......thank you

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:48:16 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?

Quote:
> does anybody know the vrml codes
> that would allow an 3d object to
> changes its colors as specified by a user?
> I've tried TouchSensor but ir doesn't work?

Setting colors need a SFColor datatype, but a TouchSensor only
deliver datatypes like SFVec3d.
You need a script to convert between the datatypes.

Don't forget, that SFColor are 3 floating numbers between 0 and 1,
while SFVec3d values are 3 floating numbers between -infinite and +infinite

#VRML V2.0 utf8

Transform
  {
  children
    [
    Shape
      {
      appearance       Appearance
        {
        material        DEF Material1 Material
          {
          }
        }
      geometry       Box
        {
        }
      }
    ]
  }

DEF PlaneSensor1 PlaneSensor
  {
  }

DEF Script1 Script
  {
  eventIn SFVec3f vec3f1_in
  eventOut SFColor color1_out
  url
    [
    "javascript:

 // eventOut SFColor color1_out

 function vec3f1_in(value)
    {
    // value  SFVec3f
    color1_out = new SFColor(value.x,value.y,value.z);
    }

"
    ]
  }

ROUTE PlaneSensor1.translation_changed TO Script1.vec3f1_in
ROUTE Script1.color1_out TO Material1.set_diffuseColor

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:18:50 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?
Have a look at this stunning example of how to change a colour on a
car.   http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/koenigsegg

Quote:
>does anybody know the vrml codes
>that would allow an 3d object to
>changes its colors as specified by a user?

>I've tried TouchSensor but ir doesn't work?
>Would appreciate any help.......thank you

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:29:41 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?

Quote:
> Have a look at this stunning example of how to change a colour on a
> car. http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/koenigsegg

In the same style, there is that one that can change colors too:
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact/examples/bmw/bmw_reflec...

Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:40:46 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?
  3d objects can be rendered & __ Changed __

  dynamically in your web browser,
  including changing the color of a car
  or animating a human player to play chess
  or Sign for the Deaf.

  Demo below, one with full source code.

  Visualization of Real & Abstract things
is helpfull for learning, selling & play
and Java is great language for capturing
and replicating 3d objects & movement.

  3d product demos are used by companies
including market leaders including
Palm and Nokia to show their products
in 3d on the 2d screen you're using now.

  Change the Color of Car: 3d Web Demos

Car: BMW, change the Colors, rotate, no plug-in required
http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/gallery-blaxxun3d1.htm
http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/bmw_mit_menu.wrl
http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/bmw_mit_menu.wrl.bx3d

| Whenever you touch one of the small boxes,
| the touchSensor will start a timeSensor,
| which then will force a colorInterpolator
| to change the color of the big box.

http://developer.blaxxun.com/samples/index.html#blaxxun3d/jsObserver/...
http://www.bitmanagement.de/demo/u10/contact_j/u10_tour.html
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/samples/java_eai/ex1/...
http://www.bitmanagement.de/

  ( Blaxxun3d /  Bitmanagement Software GmbH  )

Car: change colors, open & close doors, rotate
http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/3danywhere/megan/page/gallery-3dany2.htm

Car: Change Colors, Size & Shape, w/wo edge lines
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/car/Car.html
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/car/Car_java.html

  - Java, free source code available.
  from Ken Perlin,  New York University

  Dancing Girl, another Ken Perlin Interactive Demo
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/web3d/dancer/Dancer2.html
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/web3d/dancer/Dancer2.html
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/web3d/violet.html

Fashion Show: Girls Ghange their clothes & attitude
http://www.eyematic.com/Fashion/passport_piii_n.html
http://www.eyematic.com/Fashion/index.html

  Nokia, Palm, Nasa use Java for 3d on the web:

Commercial application of 3d with Java on the web
http://www.nokiausa.com/3dapplet/1,1600,9290,00.html

http://www.nokiausa.com/communicator/features
http://demo.kaon.com/nokia/n9290/popup.html

|  Real 3d Product Demo: Palm Color 515 PDA
|   ---------------------------( Java, rotate & zoom, Kaon.com )
|  http://www.palm.com/products/palmm515/3Ddemo/palmm515_3D.html
|
|  | 3D Model
|  | ( No plug-in req'd )
|  |

http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=3CC98D41.2050207%40rochester.rr...

| does anybody know the vrml codes that would allow
|
| a 3d object to changes its colors as specified by a user ?
|

| I've tried TouchSensor but it doesn't work.
|
| Would appreciate any help....... thank you

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&threadm=3e9fa924.689317%40n...

  Yes, Less, these 3 pages do that ( two with VRML one without ):

  http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/gallery-blaxxun3d1.htm
  http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/3danywhere/megan/page/gallery-3dany2.htm
  http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/car/Car.html

  The last does not use VRML, it's 100% Java and it's 100% available
for you to use for free ( ".java" source files ) and it also lets
you change the size and shape of the car, and it let's in on all
the mathematical secrets of how it's done, careful you may learn
something !

  You Control: Chess Player: You click he moves
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/H-Anim Avatars.html

   - Click on the chess board after the page fully loads,
   he reaches, grabs, lifts and moves the chess pieces.

|  example of how to change a colour on a car.
|
| http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/koenigsegg
| [
| http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/koenigsegg/main.html
| http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/koenigsegg/index.html
| http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/koenigsegg/data/car.wrl
|
| ]

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&threadm=3e9fa924.689317%40n...

  Uggg !  That's illustrative what we want to avoid ...

  I couldn't view it, it requires a plug-in I don't have & can't use.

  ( I'm using Mozilla & Linux -- on the web you can't assume people
  are using the browser, OS, CPU, and plug-in you're hoping they are. )

  The page says :

| Please note:
|
| Cortona VRML Client 4.1 is  ______ required _____
| ------- for viewing this demonstration.

  http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/koenigsegg/

  VRML is __ supposed __ to play on  ** any **  VRML player.

  If it fails on all but one, that's not odds I like.

  I and most people surfing the web don't want to
and won't bother installing programs for each of
the hundreds of types of content, risking our
data, and wasting our time.

http://developer.blaxxun.com/samples/index.html#contact/application/b...
| ]
| http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact/examples/bmw/bmw_reflec...

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&threadm=3e9fa924.689317%40n...

  Another VRML file for another VRML viewer, of course.

  Here's a info & examples using VRML & VRML EAI:

http://tlaloc.sfsu.edu/~yoon/csc890/VRMLfiles/examples/chap03/changec...
http://tlaloc.sfsu.edu/~yoon/csc890/VRMLfiles/examples/chap03/ChangeC...
http://tlaloc.sfsu.edu/~yoon/csc890/VRMLfiles/examples/chap03/

VRML EAI FAQ: VRML plug-in + Java for control & GUI
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html#examples

  The old style VRML plug-in viewers aren't used much
for commercial applications because most people
don't have them and won't install them so the
3d content becomes unseen & invisibible and
successfull companies like Palm & Nokia use: Java
as do Nasa, researchers, developers & me
  ... and people like you  ;^)

   Do 3d the way Nasa does 3d: with Java & VRML
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/terrain_rendering.html
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/terrain_rendering.html#Nasa_using...

  Java is a modern object-oriented language
that is safe & easily & modifiable & extensible.

  VRML can be animated in a web browser with Java3d with
the Sun VRML Loaders for important things like animating
Web3d.org's H-Anim Avatars for teaching Signing for the Deaf.

   -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
   --------------------------------------
  Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:36:07 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?

Quote:

> > In the same style, here is that one that
> > can change colors too:
> > http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact/examples/bmw/bmw_reflec...

> Another VRML file for another VRML viewer, of course.

The file loads fine in Cortona and Cosmo too (just some '404' errors
in Cosmo, i didn't look for what files but probably because it's too
old to support urn), because of the externproto implementations
especially made for respecting other viewers, you can see the model
but can't change the elements because the interface is in a layer.
But that example specifically made for exploiting to the best the
extensions/optimizations of Contact, it's logic that not everything
works in all viewers. But what you 'forget' to mention is that it's
possible to make a standard vrml version too.
And sorry if pushing the limits further like Bitmanagement &
Parallelgraphics do may require some sacrifices.

Quote:
> http://tlaloc.sfsu.edu/~yoon/csc890/VRMLfiles/examples/chap03/

It gives me a "forbidden" page btw.

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:40:21 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?
i've tried to declare javascript function in my html file like this:

<AREA shape="rect" coords="94,60,155,93" href="javascript:SetColor('Blue')">

#and then............

function SetColor(color)
{
stop();
Scene.Engine.Nodes(color).Fields("set_color") = true

Quote:
}

#and then, in VRML I did this:

DEF Blue Material {
   diffuseColor 0 0 1

Quote:
}

#the codes doesn't seem to work, can anyone
tell me where i went wrong?

Thanx
-Lee

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:57:34 GMT
 how to change colors of a 3d car?
The Color of a 3d object in a VRML or Java3d scene
can be changed dynamically, that is at run time,
while the end user is looking at it in his web browser.

| does anybody know the vrml
| codes that would allow an 3d object to
| changes its colors as specified by a user?
|
| I've tried TouchSensor but ir doesn't work ?
|
| Would appreciate any help.
|
| ......thank you

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2105f3...

   Yes, certainly.

   What you asked for is here:

| Car: BMW, change the Colors, rotate, ...
| ---------------------------------------------------------
| http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/gallery-blaxxun3d1.htm
| http://www.3d-test.com/gallery/blaxxun3d/bmw/bmw_mit_menu.wrl

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3EA1B2...

  This works with Cosmo, Blaxxun Contact, and / or
ParallelGraphics  Cortona installed, and ...
with none of them installed ...   ;^)

   First, consider the relative merits of
placing this run-time control in the VRML,
or using VRML and having the controlling logic
external to the mathematical description and
placing the "controlling" functions into an
a modern environment optimized for programatic
control: a modern object-oriented programming
language such as Java which is being taught
in high schools across the US and used in our
High School Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
( so it is not something "too hard" for mere
mortals to use ).

  VRML is good at describing geometric shapes
but it's native internal support for programming
is old, archaic, and the source of considerable
grief that has plagued animators and VRML developers
for years, and the old way described in boooks
long out of print have been replaced in many
applications with Java which enjoys strong type
checking in the developement time, modern encapsulation
of methods and variables, modern and extensible
data structures and other object-oriented
programming features.

  VRML EAI is a method of using the old style VRML plugin
while placing the contolling logic in a seperate location
facilitating a 'building block' approach where forinstance
Web3d.org's H-Anim Avatars can be loaded seperately and
controlled uniformly with code that is not intermingled
with the geometric data.

  VRML EAI has been used by Web3d board members
including Don Brutzman and Sandy Ressler for the
work in their respective federal agencies:
the US Navy Post Graduate School and NIST as
you can ( and should see ) in the VRML EAI Faq
( and yes, since you paid for their work, you can
get the source code  -- VRML & Java -- ) here:

VRML EAI FAQ: VRML plug-in + Java for control & GUI
| * VCom3d Speed Test   Reports on plug-in performance & conformance.
| * Tiny3D VRML World Builder: and other exmples: Add Remove Test, etc.
| * Morph Animation using Bezier Splines with control panel  ...
| * Bezier Surface to IndexedFaceSet Mesh using Script Node  ...
| * gcPoser
| * Pan-Scan Camera Model   NIST VR Group
| * Terrains / GeoVRML   with Documentation & Data Sets ...
| * Chess Game   with source files   ( Geometrek )
| * EAI Examples: site at Cosmo Software
| * Dis-Java-VRML: Combat Simulation   Don Brutzman, Web3D Head ...

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html#examples
  http://www.web3d.org/WorkingGroups/vrtp/dis-java-vrml/
  http://ovrt.nist.gov/jvedi/onecamera/
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/rgb-change/RGBChange.java

  Dynamic Node Creation, Moving Position with Click
| Dynamic Addition and Removal of Nodes
|
| This example shows, how to add/remove nodes
| on the fly.This functionality is once again
| achieved through an second applet, extending
| BS Contact J's functionality.

http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/samples/java_eai/dyn3...
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/samples/java_eai/dyn3...
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/samples/java_eai/ex3/...
http://www.bitmanagement.de/developer/contact_j/

  Set RGB Colors: interactive Demo: ( Material / Diffuse Color option )
  ---------------------------------
http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/demos/interactiveRenderDemo/i...
http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/codebase/models/
http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/codebase/models/interactiveRe...

  VRML EAI: Change RGB Color, "Tiny3D" add & remove editor.
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/rgb-change/rgb-change....
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/rgb-change/sphere.wrl
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/rgb-change/RGBChange.java
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/rgb-change/
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/tiny3D-2/

  More complicated animations can be done as demonstrated
by the NSF, & Nasa Funded projects using Java3d & VRML
as you can see here:

  NSF funded Virtual Chemistry Lab, Nasa Robots with Java3d
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/virtual_chemistry_lab.html
  http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery.html

http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/terrain_rendering.html#Nasa_using...

   You Control: Chess Player, Fashion Show Models
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/H-Anim_Avatars.html
   http://www.eyematic.com/Fashion/passport_piii_n.html
   http://www.eyematic.com/Fashion/index.html

  Girls in Underware Jumping ( NIST / Caesar ) with VRML & Java3d.
| http://ovrt.nist.gov/projects/wear/caesarsegment/index.html
| http://ovrt.nist.gov/projects/wear/caesarsegment/csr0099a/csr0099a.wrl
| http://ovrt.nist.gov/projects/wear/caesarsegment/caesar0099.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_loaders_working.html#vrml_ja...

  Web3d.org's VRML based H-Anim Avatars can & have been
  animated in web browsers with the Sun VRML Loaders
  without "Certificates" as is required by the Yumetech loaders.

http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/demos/javascript_texture_chan...

http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/demos/interactiveRenderDemo/i...
http://www.eyematic.com/Shout3d_runtime/demos/

   VRML EAI FAQ & Demos
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html#examples
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html

  Pure Java Solutions ( with source code )
  --------------------
  Car: Change Colors, Size & Shape, w/wo edge lines
  http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/car/Car.html
  http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/car/Car_java.html
  http://www.idx3d.ch/idx3d/demo8.html
  http://www.idx3d.ch/idx3d/idx3d.html
  http://www.idx3d.ch/idx3d/download.html

  For goodness sakes, start with something that
works, and add functionality to it.

  To learn the modern methods get a book
  that is not out of print or out of date:

http://webreference.com/3d/books/shout/index.html

| Top 9 Web3D BooksGuide Picks
| ----------------------------
|
| Here is a list of great Web3D books ...
|
| 3) Interactive Web Graphics with Shout3D
| by Rob Polevoi
|
| A fabulous book about an innovative
|  Web3D technology, Shout Interactive's
| Shout3D. Shout3D is a plugin-less browser
| (pure java renderer) that consistantly amazes
| with it's ever improving rendering and performance.
|  Polevoi is an accomplished author and
|  content developer and it shows in this
| terrific book that is a great way for 3D
| authors to learn Java. Paperback

http://3dgraphics.about.com/cs/web3di3d/tp/Books.htm
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&group=comp.lang.vrml&se...

  Avoid books from Prentice-Hall & Aaron Walsh
as they contain known, uncorrected, false and
fraudulent claims related to the best and most
modern methods of animatin VRML with Java
including animating Web3d.org's VRML based H-Anim
Avatars with the Sun VRML Loaders.

  That's why things like the VRML EAI FAQ
have links to examples with source ...
try the examples, find one you like,
download & expand on it and you're
on your way, web demos with source code
available are also available including
using VRML & the Shout3d & Blaxxun3d
examples and pure-stand alone Java
implementations were also provided.

  For successful web animation avoid
solutions that needlessly shut out people
just because they have a "different"
VRML plug-in viewer or are using a "different"
OS or browser than you.

  The Web is bigger than your desktop,
don't limit your artistic endevours.

  -- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
  --------------------------------------
Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:20:40 GMT

1. color ramp not changing to reflect interactive seting of hi/low color boxes

2. Changing font color/size and background color with Tile

3. Why is (eq? car car) false in MacScheme

4. Color Ramp for 3D Parametric Surface Graph?

5. How do I use the color table from an intensity plot for a 3d surface graph

6. using more than 256 colors in 3D graph?

7. 3D-colors

8. Tk's choice of colors for 3D borders

9. 3d colors?

10. 3D border colors on 16-bit display

11. Text String Conversion Program for Changing Syntax of Triangular 3D Mesh

12. Changing Color Palette