Universal Coordinate map
Author Message
 Universal Coordinate map

I create a block but no mater where I place the block in the vrml world, it
will have a coordinate position of 0,0,0.

So If I create a block in the upper left hand corner, then its position
will be 0,0,0.
Likewise, If I place a block in the bottom right hand corner, its position
will be the same, 0,0,0. Is there a way to create a universal coordinate
map in which to place objects.  Maybe even on a small plane that has a
defined set of coordinates that automatically translates an objects
position to the correct position.

Jayfus

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Universal Coordinate map

Hey there, Jayfus!

Quote:
>I create a block but no mater where I place the block in the VRML world, it
>will have a coordinate position of 0,0,0.

    Not really.

    Each object has a "local" coordinate system that is located (for the
basic ones, like boxes) at the center of the object.

    This is _not_ the coordinate system for the world, though.  That is
remains constant for the world, and it can't be changed.

    Also, every Transform defines a "local" cordinate system.

    Every object and Transform will have a locus (a coordinate position) in
the world. These locii can be changed, i.e., the objects and Transforms can
be moved relative to the world.  The origin of the world is stationary.

    In {*filter*}space, there _is_ an "ether."   Einstein doesn't work here.

    (Incidentally, every object is created at the origin of the world
_unless_ it is created within a Transform that defines a different locus for
the object.  You have to offset everything yourself or the objects just pile
up at the world origin.)

Quote:
>So If I create a block in the upper left hand corner, then its position
>will be 0,0,0.
>Likewise, If I place a block in the bottom right hand corner, its position
>will be the same, 0,0,0. Is there a way to create a universal coordinate
>map in which to place objects.  Maybe even on a small plane that has a
>defined set of coordinates that automatically translates an objects
>position to the correct position.

It's really unclear _how_ you created the box "in the upper left hand
corner" - as well as how you discovered the coordinates of the box
afterwards.  So I can't help you any more now.

But the world _is_ a coordinate map in which to place objects.  That part is
done before you even start!

-  Bob Greer

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Universal Coordinate Map

2. Problems with exporting mapping coordinates from MAX

3. Canvas inverse coordinate mapping

4. 3d-coordinate to 2d coordinate

5. Universal Disassemblers vs. Universal MIILs

6. vrml model coordinates to screen coordinates...

7. VRML 2 (extracting coordinates, colour and texture coordinates for all vertices)

8. universal joins, universal stransmission shaft

9. Universal integer or universal expression

10. Converting canvas coordinates to window coordinates.......

11. Converting canvas coordinates to window coordinates in tkinter.........

12. Smalltalk coordinates to screen coordinates