Lighting of shadows
Author Message
 Lighting of shadows

just double checking,  vrml does not support shadows right?

Larry

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lighting of shadows

Quote:

> just double checking,  vrml does not support shadows right?

I've done a few things that simulated shadows in VRML, e.g.,
http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/vrml98/webbanner/webbanner.html
but they were kind of hokey.  I imagine it's possible to make
far better shadows than I've done.  Gavin Bell did a shadow
generator ages ago that took care of the math.  You might
find it on the www-vrml archives.

There's a browser out there by Beyond-3D at http://www.beyond-3d.com/
I haven't tried it, but they allege they can produce real shadows.

There's no requirement in the spec to produce real shadows -- in
fact, it takes a liberal reading of the color and lighting model to
allow them -- but I'm inclined not to be too strict about something
that's so cool.  Ditto if you want to build a browser that makes
little oval bright spots with fuzzy edges for spotlights.  I'll
personally wrestle Mary Brady into letting it pass. ;-)
--
Bob Crispen

'T is with our judgments as our watches,--none
Go just alike, yet each believes his own.
-- Alexander Pope: _Essay on Criticism_

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lighting of shadows

Quote:

> There's no requirement in the spec to produce real shadows -- in
> fact, it takes a liberal reading of the color and lighting model to
> allow them -- but I'm inclined not to be too strict about something
> that's so cool.  Ditto if you want to build a browser that makes
> little oval bright spots with fuzzy edges for spotlights.  I'll
> personally wrestle Mary Brady into letting it pass. ;-)

Shadows are really a rendering issue so I don't think that they belong
in the spec. Having said that it might be appropriate to set shadows
treu/false in the WorldInfo node, with default false, otherwise, all of our
current vrml models with 'shadow objects' in them will look  funny in
the future, when our (x3d?!) browsers have real-time shadows, reflections,
etc. On SGI, the Performer renderer has options for real-time shadows on
the more powerful SGI machines. Real shadows (or at least fuzzy grey
patches that resemble shadows) are one of the things that make game
engines look impressive compared with the current batch of VRML browsers.
Maybe someone will add shadows to Cosmo Player when the source is available.
Simple shadows aren't all that difficult to implement.

Michael.

--
Personal Home Page: http://home.telia.no/mlouka/
Tel: +47 69 21 22 54 (direct), Fax: +47 69 21 24 60

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. texture lighting and shadow ??

2. want access to light/shadow calculator

3. BLT treeview's -shadow option: Fatal error when -shadow {}

4. Economical/cheap bicycle light? Re: Bicycle Lighting

5. Economical/cheap bicycle light? Re: Bicycle Lighting

6. lighting Ive done / do you know other (complex) lighting examples

7. Turn the lights of/Light behaviour

8. How do you get rid of the shadow and lighting effects on a boolean switch in version 6.1

9. Simulate complex lights & shadows ?

10. popupmenu shadows persist in tabpanel

11. doing shadowed fonts

12. Putting a Shadow on Form