How do I view my own wrl files???
Author Message
 How do I view my own wrl files???

This is probably an old question.

I've configured my Netscape so that I can open
and view other sites' wrl files, but when I try to view my
own wrl file in my directory, I just get ascii text. I even tried
downloading other sites' wrl files and tried to view them in my own
directory, but still just ascii text. Anyone know the problem??

Lost in VR??

Thu, 19 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I view my own wrl files???

You need to setup your web server (the MIME I think) so that it
recognizes what a *.WRL file is.
--
********* one of "The People Behind MicroStation" *******************
Ahmed F. Osman                                  690 Pennsylvania Dr.

CIS:  73400,233                                 fax: (610) 458-1056
********* We're now on the Web http://www.bentley.com ****************

Fri, 20 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I view my own wrl files???

 > You need to setup your web server (the MIME I think) so that it
 > recognizes what a *.WRL file is.

If the original poster wants to be able to view local .wrl files using
"file:/...." URL's, he needs to teach his *browser* what .wrl files
are.  (His browser didn't need to know what .wrl files are when it
retrieves a vrml document from a server since servers which know .wrl
files are VRML will send the appropriate "Content-type:" HTTP
header to the browser before the actual contents of the file.)

--

http://web.mit.edu/pshuang/.plan; PGP: 1906684DD1537EC4 30876EACC18ADFC5
          Disclaimer: unless explicitly otherwise stated, my

Sat, 21 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I view my own wrl files???

Quote:

> I've configured my Netscape so that I can open
> and view other sites' wrl files, but when I try to view my
> own wrl file in my directory, I just get ascii text. I even tried
> downloading other sites' wrl files and tried to view them in my own
> directory, but still just ascii text. Anyone know the problem??

Sounds like your server isn't configured to serve VRML. this is curable.
The system administrator can do it for you, or, if it's a UNIX server, you can fix it yourself the way I did:

create a file named .htaccess in the directories with the .wrl files containing this as ascii text:

AddType x-world/x-vrml wrl
AddType x-world/x-vrml vrml

and do: chmod 644 .htaccess

feel free to copy mine from http://www.imnet.com/~eisen/.htaccess
(it also enables serving Shockwave files)

Info on how to do this sort of thing on other servers is at:

http://www.macromedia.com/Tools/Shockwave/Director/getstart.html#server

Good luck,

Carl West

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I view my own wrl files???

S> This is probably an old question.
S> I've configured my Netscape so that I can open
S> and view other sites' wrl files, but when I try to view my
S> own wrl file in my directory, I just get ascii text. I even tried
S> downloading other sites' wrl files and tried to view them in my own
S> directory, but still just ascii text. Anyone know the problem??

As you can see other sites' VRML, your browser is properly configured
(.mailcap).

If you want to view local files you can pass them directly to the VRML
browser. If you want to use your webbrowser instead to access the
files (using it as a file browser) you need a mimetype setup (like for
servers) to tell it that .wrl corresponds to VRML:

~/.mime.types
type=x-world/x-vrml wrl
enc=x-gzip   exts=gz

--

| IICM, Graz Univ. of Technology      / /            Tel: +43-316-873-5627 |
| Schieszstattgasse 4a               / /'96            Fax: +43-316-824394 |

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

2. Load .wrl Files, View it, centered in View

3. .WRL files viewed as ZIP files

4. file.wrl#view in Internet Explorer doesn′t work

5. Problem with .wrl file - mack12.wrl (1/1)

6. Problem with .wrl file - mack12.wrl (0/1)

7. automating conversion from 2D .dwg-files to 3D and .wrl-files (VRML)

8. Defining my own browse view

9. How can view styles be done?

10. Which Win95 Tool compress *.wrl to *.wrl.gz ?

11. Migrate your own file to Open Database File (Microfocus)

12. File I/O Operations on Secondary VIEW(ed) Files