MPEG/AVI/Quicktime movie from a VRML session?
Author Message
 MPEG/AVI/Quicktime movie from a VRML session?

Does anyone know if there is software available to save a
movie file (MPEG, AVI, or Quicktime format) of a vrml session?

I'm working with a geophysical modeling program which can convert
it's data from it's internal format to VRML 1.0, which I can then
convert to 2.0.  I need to be able to create a movie file with the
viewpoint moving over the model, along with some of the layers
being removed, exposing layers underneath.

I have access to both a PC and several SGI workstations (software
for the SGI's would be preferable).  I have access to Inventor,
which I don't know much about, but I believe it's possible to use
it for this purpose...

Can anyone give me any pointers to some software that would
help?

Thanks.

Mike Evans

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MPEG/AVI/Quicktime movie from a VRML session?

There's no such beast that I know of.  I would say your best bet is to
borrow someone's video camera, plug it in to your SGI and point the
camera at the monitor.  You can then use mediaconvert on your SGI to
convert it to MPEG.  (note, if you want even lower quality and you have
an Indy or an O2, you can turn your Indy cam at the monitor).

Not a very good solution, but I think it's the best you're gonna do.

-Dave

Quote:

--

A Silicon Graphics Company  |   http://reality.sgi.com/chamber
  Phone: (650) 933-6414     |          http://doh.engr/

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MPEG/AVI/Quicktime movie from a VRML session?

Quote:

> Does anyone know if there is software available to save a
> movie file (MPEG, AVI, or Quicktime format) of a VRML session?

You might be able to use Hypercam ( http://www.hyperionics.com ) - I did
a little playing around with this to try and make some MPEGs of VRML
scenes for MovieTextures - it does work (on a PC).  The following is a
quote from their web page:

"For best performance please set your machine in 8 bit color mode (256
colors). We have found out that in this configuration HyperCam can
capture up to 10 frames per second of 640x480 pictures on Pentium 133
machine. You may capture more if your capture area is smaller, or you
have a faster machine. In 16 bit color mode I could do about 5 fps of
320x240 frames."

Make sure you have plenty of available hard disk space to build the file
in - it's just like any image capture software in that regard.

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
VP/Creative Director, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Is there a way to make an mpeg or avi movie of my waveform chart

2. Is there a way to make an mpeg or avi movie of my waveform chart

3. Is there a way to make an mpeg or avi movie of my waveform chart

4. VRML to AVI/QuickTime ?

5. VRML to AVI or MPEG

6. FREE WAV/AVI to MPEG Encoders compatable with VRML

7. AVI to MPEG-1 encoders for VRML?

8. VRML to MPEG/AVI

9. MPEG movies in VRML

10. create movie from vrml session?

11. Quicktime movie volume?

12. Quicktime (zoom illusion with a movie)