VRML or Java or anything else?
Author Message
 VRML or Java or anything else?

We need to provide our customers with a 3d VR rendering of physical
structures (streets, buildings, etc.)

Is vrml the best tool? Does it require a plugin? How difficult is it do
download a plugin? Is Java up to the task? Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance to all

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML or Java or anything else?

Apr 2000:

>We need to provide our customers with a 3d VR rendering of physical
>structures (streets, buildings, etc.)

>Is VRML the best tool?

If you want multiple people in different locations to view your scene
over the internet, and if navigation (e.g., walking through the scene,
automated "guided tours") and possibly animation are more important to
you than photorealistic depiction of a static scene from a single
viewpoint, yes, in my opinion.  As asked, the question imparts an
objective existence to "best" which I've seldom found to correspond
to anything in the real world.

>Does it require a plugin?

>How difficult is it do
>download a plugin?

Try it and see.  Harder than viewing a web page.  Easier than installing
a DOS game.

>Is Java up to the task?

There is a Java3D package which is very good, especially on a fast
machine.  I believe it currently requires that anyone who wants to view
the scene download the JDK and the Java3D classes.  You can also develop
your own 3D viewer in Java, and many people have done that.  As to
whether Java is implemented in every version of every Web browser in a
way that will make the experience pleasurable for your guests, I
wouldn't presume to answer.

>Are there any other alternatives?

http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/ -- click "Get Browser" and look at the
list on the bottom of the page.  You might want to pay particular
attention to Shout3D and Blaxxun's X3D demo, both of which will be quite
a bit like the emerging X3D standard.
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the
looting started.

Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML in Java vs Java in VRML

2. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

3. I'm allergic to anything Java

4. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

5. VRML generated from JAVA, not JAVA script?

6. vrml-java-generated vrml

7. VRML/java scripting example and vrml.* packages

8. Trying to find anything for VRML for FreeBSD

9. Anybody doing anything about serious physics in VRML?

10. Two VRML worlds (VRML+Java)

11. EAI version of VRML 2.0 Tic-Tac-Toe game (VRML + Java)

12. JAVA + VRML (VRML libraries)