CSG and VRML ?
Author Message
 CSG and VRML ?

Hi

If I would like to use vrml as one of the input/ouput formats, is there a
common way of defining csg in vrml ? Or am I the only one, wanting to have
csg nodes in a scenegraph ?

Simple example: box minus sphere.

I could output it as the resulting polysoup, after csg is applied,
but then the world can't be changed anymore, as the information about box and sphere is lost.
This is no problem for exporting to other programs, but I want the editor to
know which csg operations are taken, on which nodes.

(In our 3d game editor we are using csg to build our worlds.
Datastructure is a scenegraph, with csg nodes (having an operand like
plus/add and minus/subtract, and left/right children, on which csg is
done).)

Sat, 21 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CSG and VRML ?

Quote:
>Hi

>If I would like to use vrml as one of the input/ouput formats, is there a
>common way of defining csg in vrml ?

No.

Quote:
> Or am I the only one, wanting to have
>csg nodes in a scenegraph ?

VRML was not designed as a scripting language for raytracing renderers, but
for real-time 3D. And the operations you're describing are sufficiently time
consuming as to be impractical in a real-time environment.

Quote:
>I could output it as the resulting polysoup, after csg is applied,
>but then the world can't be changed anymore, as the information about box

and sphere is lost.

Indeed... But this is basically what happens when you save a PhotoShop file
as a PNG or a JPEG--you lose any layering information, etc.

Quote:
>This is no problem for exporting to other programs, but I want the editor
>know which csg operations are taken, on which nodes.

>(In our 3d game editor we are using csg to build our worlds.
>Datastructure is a scenegraph, with csg nodes (having an operand like
>plus/add and minus/subtract, and left/right children, on which csg is
>done).)

Yes, but it's not dynamically changeable by the game engine, is it? Such
would be a requirement if this kind of thing were to be added to VRML.

Braden

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Req: CSG and VRML

2. Is it possible to do CSG in VRML?

3. On 22 Oct 91, giguere@csg.uwat

4. CSG modeler

5. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

6. IE6 +VRML + javascript in VRML trouble (was: problem using javascript window.open in VRML)

7. VRML 2000 : Platform Independence Keeps VRML alive

8. Rapid flipping between 2 VRML-1 files with VRML-2

9. VRML 2.0 to VRML 1.0 Converter

10. vrml-java-generated vrml

11. Comunication between a VRML and a embedded VRML

12. VRML/java scripting example and vrml.* packages