3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.
Author Message
 3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.

You * CAN * put interactive animated 3d objects into
your web pages without forcing people to install viewers

 The animations can be complex ( human animation, etc )
and surprisingly fast ... unless the machines are more
than a few years old ...

 Java does it ... yes, Java is more than 'bouncing text' ...

Quote:
> ... I thought that vrml viewers were supposed to be
> embedded into the leading browsers by now, so that
> we don't have to have visitors to our sites download the
> viewer (what a pain). Does anyone know what is going
> on regarding this ?

> Thanks for any info / help,

> Brad Strong

 These are Free VRML Viewers that display VRML animations.

 The primary Java Viewers are from anfy3d, blaxxun, & shout3d
( add the   www.   .com  ) Here some more interesting demos ...

 " Clinton Talks about Monica / Wag the Dog "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

 " Subway, NYC, with Train " - 'walk' with mouse drags
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

  " Rocket Train ? /  Target Practice "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~comptoir/guacamo.html

 " 3D Chess Player with IK:  e makes _ YOUR _ moves "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/H-Anim_Avatars.html

 " 3D Combat / Kick Boxing Game "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

" Kids at Play with 'Gestures' ( multiple animations ) "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

  " Garden Maze "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

" 3D Chat /  Adventure Walk Around Game  "
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

 The plug-ins offer higher speed ...

 So no, they are not built in now, but with Java you
can have them load & run safely & without hassles
( with the delay of the download time ) ... and  ...

  My hope is that the Microsoft anti-trust trial will end with a
settlement that would *** ALLOW *** the PC manufactures
to pre-install Java3d and all the libraries ( ie. OpenGL  )
so you could get all the advantages of  the Web3d's
VRML Loaders working with the Java3d and full support
of you graphics hardware acceleration so the browser
( at least Netscape / Mozilla ) to give you full speed /
full screen rendering of complex models without the
hassles of browser plug-in incompatibilities and the
limitations of the Javascript / VRML EAI interfaces
( Javascript is often 10 times SLOWER than pure Java
for scenes with complex animations --- like animating
people with all those little finger joints moving in
real time.

 -- Paul,  Java Developer & Web Animator.
"Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:37:38 GMT
 3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.
I'd love it if there were free VRML viewers in Java that didn't require
a plug-in, but unfortunately blaxxun's applet doesn't support the VRML
standard, just a subset, shout3d doesn't support the standard, and I
strongly suspect anfy3d is the same, but it wasn't as well documented on
their website.  So, as you correctly say, you CAN put interactive,
animated 3d into your web pages without requiring plug-in viewers, but
you CAN'T view much of the existing VRML content that way.  Maybe it
won't always be this way, but that's the way it is now.

While I can see a role for an official subset of VRML, as the X3D folks
are working on, I think *focussing* on a less-capable subset at the same
time that machines are getting better and the general user is getting
used to seeing more and more capable graphics is a big step backward for
the VRML community.

Quote:

> You * CAN * put interactive animated 3d objects into
> your web pages without forcing people to install viewers

> <stuff deleted

>  These are Free VRML Viewers that display VRML animations.

>  The primary Java Viewers are from anfy3d, blaxxun, & shout3d
> ( add the   www.   .com  ) Here some more interesting demos ...

>   -- Paul,  Java Developer & Web Animator.
>  -------------------------------------------------
> "Imaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:32:28 GMT
 3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.

Quote:
> VRML Loaders working with the Java3d and full support
> of you graphics hardware acceleration so the browser
> ( at least Netscape / Mozilla ) to give you full speed /
> full screen rendering of complex models without the
> hassles of browser plug-in incompatibilities and the
> limitations of the Javascript / VRML EAI interfaces"full speed / full

screen rendering of complex models"
That is so *not* going to happen with any of your Java creations. you are
taking a huge backward step in speed when you go to Java.

Quote:
> ( Javascript is often 10 times SLOWER than pure Java
> for scenes with complex animations --- like animating
> people with all those little finger joints moving in
> real time.

seems you know to much about Java (not sure about that...) and not enough
about VRML. why on earth would you run time calculate the animation of
bones. run time bones and IK are not really for VRML... you would most/all
it all precalculated using CoordinateInterpolators..
db

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:05:27 GMT
 3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.

:> VRML Loaders working with the Java3d and full support
:> of you graphics hardware acceleration so the browser
:> ( at least Netscape / Mozilla ) to give you full speed /
:> full screen rendering of complex models without the
:> hassles of browser plug-in incompatibilities and the
:> limitations of the Javascript / VRML EAI interfaces
:> "full speed / full screen rendering of complex models"

: That is so *not* going to happen with any of your Java creations. you are
: taking a huge backward step in speed when you go to Java.

What on earth makes you think that?  The Java 3D he mentioned
would offer hardware acceleration.  The only real issue I can
see with Java 3D graphics performance is that most incremental
GCs are probably not yet incremental enough for real time work.

I agree with the OP - Java3D in browsers would make a big difference.

Alas, Java 3D is huge.  Why Javasoft's support for OpenGL is
bundled with such a lot of other stuff I don't know.
--
__________                  http://alife.co.uk/  http://mandala.co.uk/

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:37:50 GMT
 3D Animation in Web Browser ( no plug-in ): yes, with Java.
So far the biggest problem with Java3D I've seen so far is the incredibly long
parsing time for complex scenes/models. As far as performance goes, once the
models are loaded, I haven't seen any difference in frame rate between Java3D
and CosmoPlayer.

Quote:

--
Aaron Bergstrom

WWW Site Developer
Plant Sciences - http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/abergstr/
Virtual Cell - http://vcell.ndsu.edu/
Archaeology Technologies Lab - http://atl.ndsu.edu/
North Dakota State University

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:25:19 GMT

1. : 3d Humanoid Animation with Java 1.1 - - DEMO s - -

2. Shout3d is Back: VRML animation without a plug-in with Java

3. java and 3d no plugin required..

4. LOGO-L> LCSI Web Browser PlugIn

5. Web browser plug-in for publishing a front panel

6. Eiffel web browser plugin?

7. Ruby/Tk web browser plug in

8. ANNOUNCE: Superscape Viscape Universal 3D Web Browser Available In Beta

9. Java Plugin and VRML Browser

10. adding Expect functionality to TCL web browser plugin.

11. Human Animation - - Ally McBeal Stick Figure Animation - - ( Java / Matrix / Interactive Modelling )

12. Video Streams in 3d VRML Web animations: Java empowers you