DEM -> VRML ?
Author Message
 DEM -> VRML ?

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a tool (preferably freeware / opensource) that I can use
to convert USGS DEM data to vrml elevation grid. Specifically one that can
merge DEM's and select a smaller region to export. Would be most helpful if
it could convert to a lower resolution too.
    I realize this is asking a lot. One idea that's been suggested to me is
to use one tool to merge the DEM's, another to convert it to a image w/
colors for elevation, then, having cropped the image, another to convert
from image to DEM again, then DEM to VRML. (I already have some good DEM to
VRML tools, it's the image -> DEM that I don't have).
     Regards,
    Andrew Jorgensen
    BYU RIVIT Lab: rivit.cs.byu.edu

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DEM -> VRML ?

Quote:

>Hi everyone,
>    I'm looking for a tool (preferably freeware / opensource)
that I can use
>to convert USGS DEM data to VRML elevation grid. Specifically
one that can
>merge DEM's and select a smaller region to export. Would be
most helpful if
>it could convert to a lower resolution too.
>    I realize this is asking a lot. One idea that's been

suggested to me is

Hi. Have you looked at Bob Crispens VRML pages ?
There are quite a few DEM / elevation grid tools
available free/shareware. Leveller is one, I do not
know if it can do what you ask. (I have used some
(leveller again is one) to make a generic landscape,
and read about some of them accepting the 70 something
and/or DEM).

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DEM -> VRML ?

Hi Andrew,
    I have toyed with it. I used VistaPro to export DXF files then used POV to
convert to VRML. The results were buggy with elevation spikes. Bob Crispens site
has tools for despiking. His link can be found by searching this chat list.
Do you know where I can get hi-res DEMs of Australia ?

Hope this helps
John

Quote:

> Hi everyone,
>     I'm looking for a tool (preferably freeware / opensource) that I can use
> to convert USGS DEM data to VRML elevation grid. Specifically one that can
> merge DEM's and select a smaller region to export. Would be most helpful if
> it could convert to a lower resolution too.
>     I realize this is asking a lot. One idea that's been suggested to me is
> to use one tool to merge the DEM's, another to convert it to a image w/
> colors for elevation, then, having cropped the image, another to convert
> from image to DEM again, then DEM to VRML. (I already have some good DEM to
> VRML tools, it's the image -> DEM that I don't have).
>      Regards,
>     Andrew Jorgensen
>     BYU RIVIT Lab: rivit.cs.byu.edu

  softscan.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. large DEM files to VRML

2. DEM to VRML

3. Freeware DEM to VRML

4. VRML 2.0 & DEM

5. DXF->VRML/VRML->DXF Converter

6. REQ>>>Web site using VRML...

7. VRML 2.0 compliant version of LodeStar or VRML 2.0->1.0 converter

8. VRML->Java->C++ ?

9. MIDI->JAVA->VRML

10. HELP>>>>>>>Fortran-Pascal Linking

11. >>>>>>>FROM SMTK TO C++