A problem with the extension WRL
Author Message
 A problem with the extension WRL

I have a Virtual World in text mode... done with a simple Editor... so it
is in ASCII normal mode... I put it on the server... and when I try to
load it... it not appears the world !!! netscape doesnt load the plug-in
!!! and appear only the source text...

Why ???

Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A problem with the extension WRL

Quote:

>I have a Virtual World in text mode... done with a simple Editor... so it
>is in ASCII normal mode... I put it on the server... and when I try to
>load it... it not appears the world !!! netscape doesnt load the plug-in
>!!! and appear only the source text...
>Why ???

the server has no mime type for *.wrl
it is serveing the file as text not as vrml.
ask the sysop to add
x-world/x-vrml to the mime type

this mime type might not be right
if i'm wrong i'll try to get back with u
but u can check the comp.lang.vrml    faq
it has this info in question #5

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A problem with the extension WRL

Quote:
> For VRML1 it is right. For VRML2 you could better use model/vrml. This is
> the standard and it removes confuses for people with a VRML1-browser.

No, for the time being, x-world/x-vrml should still be used. The model/vrml
type has been proposed, but it's very new and has been implemented in no
browsers as far as I know.

x-world/x-vrml is still the proper MIME type for vrml 2, per the VRML 2
spec. Hopefully, this will be changed to model/vrml as part of the ISO
standardization.

--

Home Page:  http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/
Home World: http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/home.wrl

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A problem with the extension WRL

Quote:

> >I have a Virtual World in text mode... done with a simple Editor... so it
> >is in ASCII normal mode... I put it on the server... and when I try to
> >load it... it not appears the world !!! netscape doesnt load the plug-in
> >!!! and appear only the source text...

> >Why ???

> ask the sysop to add
> x-world/x-vrml to the mime type

> this mime type might not be right

For VRML1 it is right. For VRML2 you could better use model/vrml. This is
the standard and it removes confuses for people with a VRML1-browser.

Bye,
        Marijn

 ros et vies dot rue dot enel
 Commercial and/or unsolicited email and/or spam will be
 processed for a NFL100 handling fee. Unsolicited sending
 constitutes acceptance.

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A problem with the extension WRL

says...

Quote:

> > For VRML1 it is right. For VRML2 you could better use model/vrml. This is
> > the standard and it removes confuses for people with a VRML1-browser.

> No, for the time being, x-world/x-vrml should still be used. The model/vrml
> type has been proposed, but it's very new and has been implemented in no
> browsers as far as I know.

> x-world/x-vrml is still the proper MIME type for VRML 2, per the VRML 2
> spec. Hopefully, this will be changed to model/vrml as part of the ISO
> standardization.

Whoops. After a brief conversation with Mr. Ros over e-mail, I've been
politely shown the error of my ways.<g> Mr. Ros is right, I'm wrong here.

"model/vrml" is indeed the preferred MIME type for VRML 2 (per the August 4
final spec), though "x-world/x-vrml" is still supported for backward
compatiblity.

However, I don't know yet what, if any, of the current VRML 2 browsers
support "model/vrml" as the MIME type.

Until VRML 2 becomes more established, it's probably best to set most
servers to send "x-world/x-vrml". But if you know that only VRML 2 will
appear on a server, it might be a good idea to go ahead and use
"model/vrml"--depending on browser support, of course.

--

Home Page:  http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/
Home World: http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/home.wrl
CSS Unsupported in IE3: http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/nostyle/

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with .wrl file - mack12.wrl (1/1)

2. Problem with .wrl file - mack12.wrl (0/1)

3. Converting wrl extension

4. Which Win95 Tool compress *.wrl to *.wrl.gz ?

5. EAI - timing problem between applet and wrl

6. new problems with old .wrl

7. IE4 and Cosmos Player .wrl problem

8. ALL READ-- .WRL PROBLEM SOLVED

9. Problem embedding a .wrl

10. Mac OS9 Sound in wrl Problem

11. HUD problems - hud_test2.wrl (0/1)

12. Extrusion node - plugin parsing problems (includes 4kb *.wrl)