multi-user software - cheap?
Author Message
 multi-user software - cheap?

Is there such a thing as inexpensive multi-user software for VRML?

I want to buy sever and client software that I can run and manage on my own
server without having to lease expensive services from the company I bought
the software from.

Blaxxun wants about $7,000 for Instant Community, and even more (way more)
for Platform 5.  Of course, P5 has all the cool functionality you want....
Other companies offer similar deals, and none of them seem to want to
actually sell you the software.  It's like you have to rent space on their
server, and pay a fortune in annual fees, and of course they want to 'help'
you develop your site as well.

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:35:57 GMT
 multi-user software - cheap?
Blaxxun is a very nice product, but the $7000 price tag is crazy, especially
when other more mainstream technologies like shockwave and flash, are less than
$1000.

If you are doing this just for fun, I'd recommend DeepMatrix.   It's a good
product, but not as easy to use for the client as Blaxxun.    They call it
"open source", which has generated some contraversy, but it is free, and you
can download and modify the source code.

http://www.geometrek.com/products/deepmatrix.html

I have a deepmatrix installation up and running at:

http://www.lucidspace.com

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:54:46 GMT
 multi-user software - cheap?
Thanks for the tip!

I have looked at DeepMatrix before; it seems to be based largely on VNet,
the original MUS.  Unfortunately, neither one have the same functionality
that Platform 5 has.

I just got the most recent pricelist from Blaxxun, and now they want
$13,000! And that's only for the license fee and up to 50 simultaneous users
(not including $2,400 support fee). For the top-of -the-line model, they
want $1.3 million + $245,000 in support. Who are they kidding?!!!?!

FYI, your DeepMatrix server wasn't working when I went to your page.

Quote:
> Blaxxun is a very nice product, but the $7000 price tag is crazy,
especially
> when other more mainstream technologies like shockwave and flash, are less
than
> $1000.

> If you are doing this just for fun, I'd recommend DeepMatrix.   It's a
good
> product, but not as easy to use for the client as Blaxxun.    They call it
> "open source", which has generated some contraversy, but it is free, and
you
> can download and modify the source code.

> http://www.geometrek.com/products/deepmatrix.html

> I have a deepmatrix installation up and running at:

> http://www.lucidspace.com

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:38:27 GMT
 multi-user software - cheap?

Quote:
> I just got the most recent pricelist from Blaxxun, and now they want
> $13,000! And that's only for the license fee and up to 50 simultaneous users
> (not including $2,400 support fee). For the top-of -the-line model, they
> want $1.3 million + $245,000 in support. Who are they kidding?!!!?!

Yikes.

Quote:
> FYI, your DeepMatrix server wasn't working when I went to your page.

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up, but I checked and everything is running.

What browser / plug-in are you using?   Sometimes the plug-in isn't configured
correctly and the vrml does not embed (like an image) in the web page.   Other
times, the plug in installation does not install some of the java classes you
need.   The error I saw on the log seems to point to the latter?  Maybe
re-installing your plug-in, or updating to a newer version will do the trick?

I've been using Netscape 4.7, IE 5, and the Blaxxun 4.4 plug-in with no
problems.

Another possibility is that you are behind a firewall or have something else
running that is blocking the port DM is communication with? (:7411)

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:59:44 GMT
 multi-user software - cheap?

Quote:
> Thanks for the tip!

> I have looked at DeepMatrix before; it seems to be based largely on VNet,
> the original MUS.  Unfortunately, neither one have the same functionality
> that Platform 5 has.

> I just got the most recent pricelist from Blaxxun, and now they want
> $13,000! And that's only for the license fee and up to 50 simultaneous
users
> (not including $2,400 support fee). For the top-of -the-line model, they
> want $1.3 million + $245,000 in support. Who are they kidding?!!!?!

Hi,

fyi: blaxxuns Community Platform contains far more than the 3d Multiuser
server (which is not available standalone), thus the 'high' price tag.
Bernd

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:16:17 GMT
 multi-user software - cheap?
We use a Lambda MOO server(Multi-user Object Oriented domain) for our Virtual
Cell project. It's a type of mud that's free. I think you can find its download
site through google.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bergstrom

WWW Site Developer
Plant Sciences - http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/abergstr/
Virtual Cell - http://vcell.ndsu.edu/
Archaeology Technologies Lab - http://atl.ndsu.edu/
North Dakota State University

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:40:42 GMT

1. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

2. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

3. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

4. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

5. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

6. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

7. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

8. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

9. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

10. Multi-tasking and Multi-user

11. Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows

12. Multi user interface - picking user and work directory !