Using a mouse to navigate a 3D world
Author Message
 Using a mouse to navigate a 3D world

Hi,

could you please tell me some references of papers where
algorithms to map 2d (or even 3d) mouse movements into a
navigation inside a 3d world. I.e.: I'd like to know how
the navigation in vrml browsers or in the OpenInventor
viewers works.

Papers where usability of such or similar algorithms is
evaluated are also highly appreciated.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Ciao

    Jurgen Assfalg           http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~assfalg/
    Universita' di Firenze - Dipartimento di sistemi e informatica

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using a mouse to navigate a 3D world
Check out this site :

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/m/x/mxv146/mine.html

there's a section called Navigating through a 3D scene.  You'll have to
dig through the OpenGL code, but if you do, you'll get a real insight
into the transformations that happen when you click and drag in a VRML
browser.

Scott Hackett

Quote:

> [...]

dig through the
OpenGL code, but if you do, you'll get a real insight into the
transformations that happen
when you click and drag in a VRML browser.

Scott Hackett

Quote:

> Hi,

> could you please tell me some references of papers where
> algorithms to map 2d (or even 3d) mouse movements into a
> navigation inside a 3d world. I.e.: I'd like to know how
> the navigation in VRML browsers or in the OpenInventor
> viewers works.

> Papers where usability of such or similar algorithms is
> evaluated are also highly appreciated.

> I thank you in advance for your help.

> Ciao

>     Jurgen Assfalg           http://www.dsi.unifi.it/~assfalg/
>     Universita' di Firenze - Dipartimento di sistemi e informatica

Scott,

Please let me know next time you're going to the ATM / Cashpoint machine so
I can stand behind you and collect the six extra hundred dollars that come
out after you press the button repeatedly ;-)

Have a good weekend!

Barnaby
--
OECD Halden Reactor Project             Tel +47 6921 2200
PO Box 173                              Fax +47 6921 2460

Norway                                  http://www.ife.no

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. T-World 3D Chat World

2. navigating menus using Expect

3. Using Serial Port to send mouse actions to remote computers mouse port

4. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

5. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

6. A 3d world

7. People interested in developping a 3D world...

8. Multi User 3d Worlds in Elementary/Primary Education

9. 3d worlds on the fly

10. FS: CrystalEyes VR, 3D mouse & Headtracker

11. ANNOUNCEMENT: Free Beta for High Performance 3D Internet Worlds and Chat

12. 3d world