Animation in VRML
Author Message
 Animation in VRML

I have a question, I need to add animation to a piece of vrml and need some
advice.  I want to add interactivity to the VRML so that some objects on the
scene follow the mouse cursor (or maybe moves to the position when the user
clicks), I know this isnt directly possible in VRML but I believe it is if
you combine VRML and JavaScript. Can  I ask where I can find out about
combining the two and if any of you have seen a similiar thing done in VRML
?

Thanks

Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:49:32 GMT
 Animation in VRML
On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:49:32 +0100, "Colin Jack"

Quote:

>I have a question, I need to add animation to a piece of VRML and need some
>advice.  I want to add interactivity to the VRML so that some objects on the
>scene follow the mouse cursor (or maybe moves to the position when the user
>clicks), I know this isnt directly possible in VRML but I believe it is if
>you combine VRML and JavaScript. Can  I ask where I can find out about
>combining the two and if any of you have seen a similiar thing done in VRML
>?

The general principle's certainly possible using Javascript, sensors,
and Routing. No doubt someone can point you at a suitable tutorial.

I believe a TouchSensor is what you'd want here. That outputs
hitPoint_changed, being the point on the surface of the object the
sensor applies to that has a mouse pointer over it. Now use a script
to do sums to generate a position interpolator between where your
moving thing is and where the cursor is. And route the output of that
to a translation that contains the moving object.

But when I've tried it, it's been a bit more complicated than that,
trying to get all the events in the right order, and figuring out what
happens if the user moves before the interpolator's finished its job.

You might be better off moving towards a click. At least a click stays
put, if you see what I mean. Following a moving mouse pointer would be
non-stop processing.

Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:11:42 GMT
 Animation in VRML
But it is possible with VRML. Please see the many examples of behaviors
at...
http://www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/~mlewis/VRML/Class/w8.html

---
Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

http://philliphansel.com

--
---
Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

http://philliphansel.com

Quote:
> I have a question, I need to add animation to a piece of VRML and need
some
> advice.  I want to add interactivity to the VRML so that some objects on
the
> scene follow the mouse cursor (or maybe moves to the position when the
user
> clicks), I know this isnt directly possible in VRML but I believe it is if
> you combine VRML and JavaScript. Can  I ask where I can find out about
> combining the two and if any of you have seen a similiar thing done in

VRML

Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:52:29 GMT

1. Followup on animation of VRML

2. Novice want to make animation in VRML

3. Animation in VRML ?

4. ###### Put animation in VRML ????????

5. Using Java animation as VRML texture ?

6. Problems with the animation in VRML 2.0 files

7. Facial Animation in VRML

8. Synchronizing sound with animation in VRML 2.0

9. Responding to Events: WakeupOnAWTEvent & Human Animation with VRML & Java3d

10. VRML-Animation in PowerPoint?

11. VRML animation output files

12. VRML Animation