vrml-> JAVA 
Author Message
 vrml-> JAVA

Hi there,
is there a software available for free that enables us to convert vrml file
to an Java applet that can be interactive?
Regards,
Alireza

--
-----------------------------------
Alireza Abouhossein
The University of Western Ontario
Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering
London, Canada
Tel: (519)661-2111 x:88252



Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA

Hello Alireza!

The question is what is your purpose:
- If you want to "get rid of" VRML (java applet that operates directly against
the graphical libraries) then I am not sure.
- If you want to add interactivity to a VRML world that is not yet as
interactive as you wish, using a java applet, then the answer may be the EAI
(http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html) which does exactly that.

Michael

Quote:

> Hi there,
> is there a software available for free that enables us to convert vrml file
> to an Java applet that can be interactive?
> Regards,
> Alireza

> --
> -----------------------------------
> Alireza Abouhossein
> The University of Western Ontario
> Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering
> London, Canada
> Tel: (519)661-2111 x:88252


  michael.preminger.vcf
< 1K Download


Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA
the JSAI would be better, and from what i have heard is less browser
dependant, feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
db


Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA

I will not correct you, as I'm not sure myself, but the JSAI is scripts
nodes written in Java, and in my impression they are not as flexible, in
the sense that your dynamics is confined to routing of events between
existing nodes, (which may be enough for many applications).

I have tried for example to access databases from JSAI and failed. I
queried, and received an answer (dont know how authoritative it was)
that this was not possible because of some security limitation. In EAI
you have an applet and can contact databases sub to the applet
limitations.

Quote:

> the JSAI would be better, and from what i have heard is less browser
> dependant, feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
> db

  michael.preminger.vcf
< 1K Download


Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA
rightio sounds cool
db

Quote:
> I will not correct you, as I'm not sure myself, but the JSAI is scripts
> nodes written in Java, and in my impression they are not as flexible, in
> the sense that your dynamics is confined to routing of events between
> existing nodes, (which may be enough for many applications).

> I have tried for example to access databases from JSAI and failed. I
> queried, and received an answer (dont know how authoritative it was)
> that this was not possible because of some security limitation. In EAI
> you have an applet and can contact databases sub to the applet
> limitations.


> > the JSAI would be better, and from what i have heard is less browser
> > dependant, feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
> > db



Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA

VRML content can be displayed with Java in several ways :

 1 ) VRML EAI : using a VRML plug-in with a Java interface.
 2 )  VRML / x3d Viewers -- good for the web, with Java 1.0, 1.1
 3 )  Java3D : faster but less portable, requires Java 2 and OpenGL.
 4 )  write your own or customize and extend existing Java programs.

Quote:
>  is there a software available for free that enables us to convert
>  vrml file to an Java applet that can be interactive ?


 The VRML is not converted, it is displayed by other programs.

 Generally the Java program reads the VRML as a data file;
on the web the Java applet is configured to accept the name
of the VRML file ( taking the filename as a parameter to the
applet in the web page's HTML ) then everything occurs
automatically : the program loads, starts, and displays the VRML.

VRML and Java is a great combination.

 I use VRML with Java three ways :

  - VRML EAI ( VRML plug-in with Java interface )
  - VRML Java 1.1 Viewers for Web Animation ( no plug-in )
  - VRML Loader with Java3D and OpenGL layer ( for speed )

 " YOU Control Avatars "  VRML Web Applet, Java3D Intro ...
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/H-Anim_Avatars.html

 " VRML EAI FAQ & DEMO "   ( People Poser )
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html

 etc ...
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3d_and_vrml.html

VRML with Java is good for :

 1 )  general web use where visitors may not have
 or be willing or able to install the plug-in.

 2 )  applications where there are complex behaviors
( games & human modeling ) ... the things that I find
most interesting.

" VRML Java Viewers "   ... a growing list, a growing trend ...
 http://www.anfyteam.com/dev/
 http://www.blaxxun.com/products/blaxxun3d/showcase/index.html
 http://www-4.ibm.com/software/net.media/
 http://www.shout3d.com/about.html
 http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/jet/examples/
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/great_3d_java.html

 " 3D with Java "  ( Tutorial, Demo & Java Source Code : Java World )
 http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-1997/jw-07-howto.html

 " Biggest, Best List of 3d Engines " ( Karl's 3d Engines List )
  http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html
 Next Up : Mozilla with Java3D ( expected this Summer )

Evgeny Demidov is actively exploring the alternatives :
http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/Test/Polyhedra.htm
http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/3DLab.htm

  -- Paul,    Java Developer & Web Animator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 " Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard "



Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA

Quote:
>  I use VRML with Java three ways :

>   - VRML EAI ( VRML plug-in with Java interface )
>   - VRML Java 1.1 Viewers for Web Animation ( no plug-in )

How interactive can you get it to be with this method? Can you all the Java
apparatus to utilize eventOuts and create eventIns?
Does it make EAI superfluous?
Quote:

>   - VRML Loader with Java3D and OpenGL layer ( for speed )

>  " YOU Control Avatars "  VRML Web Applet, Java3D Intro ...
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/H-Anim_Avatars.html

>  " VRML EAI FAQ & DEMO "   ( People Poser )
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html

>  etc ...
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3d_and_vrml.html

> VRML with Java is good for :

>  1 )  general web use where visitors may not have
>  or be willing or able to install the plug-in.

>  2 )  applications where there are complex behaviors
> ( games & human modeling ) ... the things that I find
> most interesting.

> " VRML Java Viewers "   ... a growing list, a growing trend ...
>  http://www.anfyteam.com/dev/
>  http://www.blaxxun.com/products/blaxxun3d/showcase/index.html
>  http://www-4.ibm.com/software/net.media/
>  http://www.shout3d.com/about.html
>  http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/jet/examples/
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/great_3d_java.html

>  " 3D with Java "  ( Tutorial, Demo & Java Source Code : Java World )
>  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-1997/jw-07-howto.html

>  " Biggest, Best List of 3d Engines " ( Karl's 3d Engines List )
>   http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html
>  Next Up : Mozilla with Java3D ( expected this Summer )

> Evgeny Demidov is actively exploring the alternatives :
> http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/Test/Polyhedra.htm
> http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/3DLab.htm

>   -- Paul,    Java Developer & Web Animator.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  " Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard "

  michael.preminger.vcf
< 1K Download


Wed, 08 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 vrml-> JAVA
 There is classes in both the Java 3D API and the VRML API for doing such

Roger Gregory

Quote:
> Hi there,
> is there a software available for free that enables us to convert vrml
file
> to an Java applet that can be interactive?
> Regards,
> Alireza

> --
> -----------------------------------
> Alireza Abouhossein
> The University of Western Ontario
> Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering
> London, Canada
> Tel: (519)661-2111 x:88252




Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VRML->Java->C++ ?

2. MIDI->JAVA->VRML

3. VRML in Java vs Java in VRML

4. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

5. DXF->VRML/VRML->DXF Converter

6. JAVA --> VRML

7. Java/VRML Program->Script communication

8. Good Java --> VRML Info Source

9. REQ>>>Web site using VRML...

10. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

11. VRML generated from JAVA, not JAVA script?

12. vrml-java-generated vrml

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software