Axometric projection in VRML?
Author Message
 Axometric projection in VRML?

Is it possible to have the 3D scene rendered in an axometric or
isometric view instead of the standard perspective projection? I would
need the axo/iso view to illustrate geometric theorems.

Thanks!
Flo

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Axometric projection in VRML?

Quote:

> Is it possible to have the 3D scene rendered in an axometric or
> isometric view instead of the standard perspective projection? I would
> need the axo/iso view to illustrate geometric theorems.

Technically, no - *BUT*, you can get awfully close to that by
positioning your viewpoint an ENORMOUS distance away and using a very
narrow field of view. Just be careful about immense distances: they
could push the limit of near-to-far visibility, but that may not factor
in if there's nothing in the foreground anyway. (Typically you shouldn't
have a near:far ratio greater than 1:10,000)

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Axometric projection in VRML?
Just an idea. How about scaling the object in one of the axes, say the Z axis.
This will "flatten" the object and give it no perspective. If I understand that
this is what you are looking for.

2001: A Space Odyssey in Virtual Reality
http://members.aol.com/Alprojects/2001/index.html

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Axometric projection in VRML?
Thanks for you answers.

It's a good idea to approximate the axometric view by moving the view
far away from the scene, unfortunately this means that I could no longer
walk tough the scene. :-(

cu
Flo

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Axometric projection in VRML?
Did you try...

Transform { scale 1 1 0.001 children [  "your object(s)" ] }

You can still rotate and move your objects inside the Transform but they will
always be flat with no perspective, and if you want to make them always face
you, you can billboard them probably or make them point at you with a script.

This works well on something I am working on for my site. I was able to flatten
a 3D scene to a 2D scene and shrink it down to a navigational{*filter*}pit display
for one of my spacecraft.  I am cleaning it up now but will upload it to the
web soon.

I hope this helps you...

2001: A Space Odyssey in Virtual Reality
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Axometric projection in VRML?
you need to view the model from afar with no perspective correction(very
litlle)
you can set the fieldOfView to a low value(it must be greater than 0 and to
low a value will cause flicker)
set your four iso's and rotate(30 down 45,-45,135,135 about Y) and scale the
parent transform(inaffect reducing the image size)
some browser you may need to write a zoom in/out script
because you will need to move greater distances?

#VRML V2.0 utf8
DEF ISO1 Transform {
  children Viewpoint { fieldOfView 0.01 description "iso1"}
  rotation -.5299 .8191 .2195 .9363
scale 10000 10000 10000}
DEF ISO2 Transform {
  children Viewpoint { fieldOfView 0.01 description "iso2"}
  rotation -.1066 .9604 .2573 2.384
scale 10000 10000 10000}
DEF ISO3 Transform {
  children Viewpoint { fieldOfView 0.01 description "iso3"}
  rotation -.1066 -.9604 -.2573 2.384
scale 10000 10000 10000}
DEF ISO4 Transform {
  children Viewpoint { fieldOfView 0.01 description "iso4"}
  rotation -.5299 -.8191 -.2195 .9363
scale 10000 10000 10000}
Viewpoint {
  description "perspective"
position 0 0 700

Quote:
}

Transform {
  children Shape {geometry Box{size 50 100 150}}

Quote:
}

Quote:
> Is it possible to have the 3D scene rendered in an axometric or
> isometric view instead of the standard perspective projection? I would
> need the axo/iso view to illustrate geometric theorems.

> Thanks!
> Flo

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Projection in Clarion

2. 3D->2D perspective projection

3. Orhogonal Projection

4. 3D rotation and projection in Assembler

5. Ada-based design analysis tool needed (SLOC projections)

6. parallel projection

7. Orthographic/Parallel Projection with Layer2D in Blaxxun Contact

8. Need map projection algorithms

9. Looking for map projection algorithms/code

10. AN ENROLMENT PROJECTION PROBLEM

11. Help: Increased Lagrange algorithm with projection

12. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar