3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )
Author Message
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )

 VR and interactive 3d on the web will grow with increasing speed
because we have a reached a critical point where sufficiently
fast machines are cheap and commonly used;  open and platform
independent standards are emerging including H-Anim and Java3d.

 "VR" on the web has grown much slower than expected because :

  - standards : antiquated, limited, splintered, or platform dependent
  - performance : speed, 3d worlds are horrible with slow machines.

  3d on the web falls into one of several categories (mostly) :

 - vrml
 - Java
 - Java3d
 - proprietary or platform dependent solutions

  VRML, Java, and Java3d can all work together or in
combination with each other.

  Presently they are often seen as rivals, but merged their
strengths combine and the weakness of one is replaced by
the strength of the other.

  VRML has a long history, and a wealth of models and expert
model builders exist, but being an older standard, it is difficult
to get it to interact and respond easily with the new networked
environment.

  Java3d looks great to those willing to invest a large amount
of time to learn the Object Oriented Programming System,
and the rest, but browsers don't support it ...  yet.

  The platform independent, open standard, OOPS benefits,
elegance, built in networking capabilities, and its huge backers
( Sun, AOL, Netscape, IBM, Hughes, Motorola, etc ), and
the four million Java Developers guarantee that Java3d will
be a successful, common solution to providing networked
interactive 3d worlds to the desktop, TV, phone, and PDA.

  Java3d can load and display VRML models, and it will
eliminate the problem of requiring users to install a plug-in
and it will eliminate the problem of vendors creating
incompatible VRML viewers, the bane of VRML creators.

  Java3d is not ready for prime time, it is rarely used.

  That will change.  VRML and Java 1.x can fill the gap until
then, and the expertise developers gain will transfer to the
new technology when it arrives ( being ubiquitous ).

"H-Anim"  Human Animation : An Open Standard, Platform Independent
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

 "Blaxxun Interactive" :
  - Largest 3d Chat Community (?),
  - limited "gesture" animations, not full H-Anim compliant
  - open source
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

"VR Telecom Holodesk"
  - VR Chat World based on H-Anim avatars
  http://www.*-*-*.com/
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

 "Imaging the Imagined : Interactive 3d  Modeling on the Internet"

   "Humanoid Avatar : a 3d Human Model you can control" ( VRML and Java
EAI )
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/HAnimPoser.html

   "3d Human Animation Model, Gait Analysis" ( Java 1.1 )
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/gait_model.html

   "Relatively Realistic Real-time 3d Rendering Engine" ( Java 1.0 )
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/java3dviewer.html

   "Server Serving the Client : Java Servlets"  ( Server Side Java )
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/servlets_intro.html

  I'm a Java Developer, I believe in Java for what I think are very
sound reasons, these opinions obviously have a bias in favor of
Java;  I realize others have reasons to believe in other tools.

Quote:
>  I'm building a 3d-chat program and is just struggling with
>  the 3d-world graphics...  Is anyone else doing ...

  Open standards and competition are better than having
MonopoliSts hurting consumers, and stifling competition.

  -- Have Fun & Good Luck;  Sincerely,  Paul Flavin.

 "Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/contents.html

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )
Thanks for that cool answer...Java3D for president!

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )

Hi, I am currently involved in project that needs a 3D interactive animated
model of a robot.
I have been trying to get information on rendering speeds of VRML compared
with Java 3D but I have not found anything yet.
You wouldn't have any statistics on the subject or any url's?

Quote:
>Java3d looks great to those willing to invest a large amount
>of time to learn the Object Oriented Programming System,
>and the rest, but browsers don't support it ...  yet.

Have You got any idea when this will happen?

Cheers, Matti

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )
Some of the old sayings got to be that way because what they
say is both true and practical.

The one I'm thinking about now is "horses for courses".

If your application is mostly about geometry, with a little
bit of interaction and animation, mostly expressable through
interpolation functions, it makes sense to use VRML or
something like it.

On the other hand, if the application is mostly about logic
and interaction, it makes sense to use Java3D or something
like it.

You pick the tool that gets the job done.

Of course, that's in an ideal world with both VRML and
Java3D (or their successor technologies) on every mom and
pop's desktop.  But I think we can expect that a day will
come (hopefully before wer'e all dead or broke) when two
ubiquitous 3D technologies will let us make this choice
rationally.

And to folks who want to get into an either-or war, please
try to remember why you got into this thing in the first
place.  3D is a Good Thing, no matter how you get there.
--
Bob Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )
Get yourselves over to www.parallelgraphics.com if you run Windows PC
This site has some great tools,avtars and a cool tank game!
Brilliant stuff for VRML!

Jake

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3d Chat Program & Avatars ! Resources & Reflections ( VRML / Java / Java3d )
Hello,

Quote:

> Hi, I am currently involved in project that needs a 3D interactive animated
> model of a robot.
> I have been trying to get information on rendering speeds of VRML compared
> with Java 3D but I have not found anything yet.

We observed that rendering speed of Java 3D is about half between
CosmoPlayer and CosmoWorlds, providing programmers with all the
flexibility of designing custom editing capabilities and providing
platform independence. Get a good OpenGL graphics card and driver for
best results.

bye,
Michael

--

| ARCiTEC               / /          http://www.arcitec.com/ |
| Annenstr. 29         / /'99                people/mpi.html |

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

2. Problem:VRML&Java&Performance

3. VRML in Java vs Java in VRML

4. YOU control human Avatar on the Web : VRML, Java, H-Anim

5. Java & VRML Project beginning

6. Java & VRML new project from Spain

7. VRML+JavaScript+Java&EAI error on NT (but not 95)

8. JAVA app & VRML

9. Java & VRML Primer Required

10. Java & VRML

11. Java & VRML