How to do textual info "popup"?
Author Message
 How to do textual info "popup"?

I've seen a couple of questions lately that come close to this, but
don't quite hit the nut I'm trying to crack.

I'd like to be able to store textual information in a node, and have
it displayed in some way when the user requests it.  For example, if
the world was a 3D representation of an assembly, I might want the
part number of the piece being pointed at to be displayed (this isn't
my actual application - just something off the top of my head).

Someone mentioned doing this with Anchor nodes, using the description
field.  But I see a couple of problems:

  1.  Are browsers required to show the description?  The spec seems
  to leave this up to the browser.

  2.  With the only browser I've used extensively (Cosmo), it appears
  that anchors and other sensors have priority over navigation wrt
  mouse buttons.  If the entire field of view is made up of anchors,
  how would one navigate?  Is there a way to "override" the buttons
  for navigation?

I don't really want to make every piece be a sensor node either,
because of the extra overhead I imagine this would cause (there will
be quite a few pieces).

Is there a way in, say, javascript, to detect that the cursor is over
a non-sensor node, and extract a field from the node?  Given that,
there would be a number of ways to display the info.
--
John A. Breen         | I teleported home one night with Ron & Sid & Meg.

                      |                            - Douglas Adams

Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to do textual info "popup"?

The only pointer aware objects are sensors. If the area
is totally covered with these objects then its difficult
to distinguish and navigate, as you said.

One solution is to make for each referrable object a "tag" --
small easily notisible geometry that would not be in the way.
If fact there may be several of these: one for description,
other for action like delete, replace, move etc.

Moreover, you can bulk enable or hide these "tags".

Quote:

>I've seen a couple of questions lately that come close to this, but
>don't quite hit the nut I'm trying to crack.

>I'd like to be able to store textual information in a node, and have
>it displayed in some way when the user requests it.  For example, if
>the world was a 3D representation of an assembly, I might want the
>part number of the piece being pointed at to be displayed (this isn't
>my actual application - just something off the top of my head).

[...]

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Popup menus"

2. popup window with "anchor" node

3. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. Info please -- "High Level Assembler"

6. DDE info, a "stand-alone" MSG()

7. "INFO wanted : Eiffel and Tuxedo"

8. Any info on "super-ASCII"?

9. Info on "TRILOGY"