Kitchen VRML model
Author Message
 Kitchen VRML model

Hello
I am interested in doing a kitchen model in VRML.
Anyone has done anything similar or has any suggestion of the sites I
should visit related to the topics?/

Cheers

June

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model
In article

Quote:

>Hello
>I am interested in doing a kitchen model in VRML.
>Anyone has done anything similar or has any suggestion of the
sites I
>should visit related to the topics?/

Have you given any thought to, what you want to achieve by this ?
No offense meant, but depending on that, you might want to go
in varying directions.
  As an example, floorplan 3d (of which I own a copy) allows one
to create 3d models of houses/apartments and furnish/light them,
with an easy-to-use interface. There are 5 or so "similar"
programs for doing home-design, however I chose floorplan for its
ability to do vrml output  (with or without radiosity, that works
to some degree).
  One can do kitchens in Floorplan, but it is not specially
targetted towards that.
  Off the top of my head, there are at least 3 aspects of
"kitchen", that one could focus on:
 1) Detailed accurate design - the "CAD/CAM" way.
 2) The "immersive/walkthrough model" /VRML aspect
 3) The "looks" aspect, focussing on lighting and colours and
such.

VRML is interesting for (2), hard to use for (3), and not
not necessarily the best tool for (1).

I'd assume there are "kitchenoriented" software in the world,
since it's a whole industry/business. (Showing people 3d of
the customized kitchen they are considering buying)

Quote:

>Cheers

>June

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model
Check out
http://www.pd.org/~thatguy/gra/TrooIndex.html
by Steve Guynup....I'm sure he'd be willing to license it too you ;-)
Sandy

Quote:

> Hello
> I am interested in doing a kitchen model in VRML.
> Anyone has done anything similar or has any suggestion of the sites I
> should visit related to the topics?/

> Cheers

> June

Sandy Ressler
About.com Guide to Web3D
http://web3d.about.com

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model
Hi
Well, the Kitchen model i would be doing would be for a mini-project for
my VRML course. Students are supposed to spend around 10 hours of their
own time achieving it. I should think that I would focus more on the
'look'. The main aim of the project is to demonstrate understanding of
VRML.

so any sites??

EJ

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model

Quote:
>my VRML course. Students are supposed to spend around 10 hours
of their
>own time achieving it. I should think that I would focus more on
the
>'look'. The main aim of the project is to demonstrate
understanding of
>VRML.

>so any sites??

With some 3d tool, where you can drag/drop/reposition stuff,
and have a library of prebuilt objects, one could make a nice
kitchen in 10 hours.
  Starting from scratch (no knowledge of VRML), and without
tools, it would be a bit hard - it would probably be important
not to be too ambitious. Below is a crude example  just with
boxes:

#VRML V2.0 utf8
Viewpoint{position 0 1.6 10}

#floor
Shape{
  geometry Box{size 8 .05 8}
  appearance Appearance{material Material{diffuseColor .3 .4 .5
emissiveColor .5 .4 .3}}

Quote:
}

# "kitchen counter"
Transform{ translation 3 .5 -3 children Shape{
  geometry Box{size 2 1 .8}
  appearance Appearance{material Material{diffuseColor  .5 .4 .3
emissiveColor .3 .4 .5}}

Quote:
}}

# "cupboard above counter"
Transform{ translation 3 2.5 -3 children Shape{
  geometry Box{size 2 1 .8}
  appearance Appearance{material Material{diffuseColor  .5 .4 .3
emissiveColor .3 .4 .5}}

Quote:
}}

# table, centered
Transform{ translation 0 .85 0 children Shape{
  geometry Box{size 2 .05 1.5}
  appearance Appearance{material Material{diffuseColor  .7 .4 .3
emissiveColor .3 .4 .5}}

Quote:
}}

# 1 of 4 legs
DEF Leg Transform{ translation .72 .43 .72 children Shape{
  geometry Box{size .03 .85 .03}
  appearance Appearance{material Material{diffuseColor  .7 .4 .3
emissiveColor .3 .4 .5}}

Quote:
}}

# the 3 other legs
Transform{ rotation 0 1 0  1.5708 children USE Leg }
Transform{ rotation 0 1 0 -1.5708 children USE Leg }
Transform{ rotation 0 1 0  3.1416 children USE Leg }

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model
Checkout my kitchen at <www.erols.com/mmcgur/vrml.htm>.  The kitchen is one
of the worlds.  You may get some errors due to a known but in the old Cosmo
HomeSpace Designer I used to build it (and never bothered to clean up the
result), but at least with Cosmo it runs find and should give you an idea.
I did it to scan in floor, cabinet, and countertop patterns to see how
they'd look (and no, the world shown isn't the final result, and our
wallpaper is much nicer).
Quote:

> Hi
> Well, the Kitchen model i would be doing would be for a mini-project for
> my VRML course. Students are supposed to spend around 10 hours of their
> own time achieving it. I should think that I would focus more on the
> 'look'. The main aim of the project is to demonstrate understanding of
> VRML.

> so any sites??

> EJ

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Kitchen VRML model

Quote:

>Hello
>I am interested in doing a kitchen model in VRML.
>Anyone has done anything similar or has any suggestion of the sites I
>should visit related to the topics?/

>Cheers

>June

Go to www.parallelgraphics.com  d/l a trial version of ISB Internet
Scene Builder Dead easy! To buy it is only about 80 dollars, less if
you are a student I`ll bet!
Take you 20 minutes to knock up a half decent kitchen.

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML kitchen ?

2. EIP, Assertions, Modality, and the kitchen sink

3. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

4. Min vs Kitchen

5. ANS Forth - the kitchen sink manifesto

6. What to look out for when purchasing a new kitchen

7. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

8. Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

9. VRML TANK MODEL

10. Free VRML models?

11. Protect/Encrypt/Code VRML models

12. Open VRML models and sources