Point me in the right direction
Author Message
 Point me in the right direction

Hi,

I'm new to VRML.  I'd like to develop a Java applet that would allow one to
drive through a predefined terrain on a fixed path (railroad track.)  What
software tools are available to create the terrain and path?  Are any
freeware?

Thanks,
Karl Berger

http://www.*-*-*.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 04:14:43 GMT
 Point me in the right direction
GeoVRML is a Working Group within Web3D.org  ...

 it helps develop the standards & practices of
generating, rendering & moving in 3d terrains:

 |   GeoVRML  [ a Web3D.org Working Group ]
 |
 |       Goal: To discuss means for representing
 |        geo-referenced data in VRML, and to
 |        develop tools, recommended practices
 |        and standards necessary to generate,
 |        display and exchange such data.

http://www.web3d.org/fs_workinggroups.htm

 " GeoVRML : Examples & Welcome "
  http://www.geovrml.org/1.0/examples/welcome.shtml

 Generating and Rendering are two different problem
domains and generally are resolved separately.

 For rendering relatively low-polygon models free
vrml Viewers are available which can run without
a plug-in, and without the problems of plug-ins on
Windows, Linux, Macintosh, Be, Symbian EPOC
and *any* other device with a standard java enabled
browser.

  For rendering more complex scenes Java3d is
an excellent choice ( though less portable ) it
can fully utilize your graphics card and OpenGL
or DirectX libraries.

 Alternately you can use a VRML plug-in with a
VRML EAI Java interface though there are inherently
more problems with that more complex interface of
Browser-Plug-in and OS ( ambiguous standards,
non-conformant browsers and non-conformant
browsers, buggy browsers and buggy plug-ins,
Security issues with Script interface etc ...
problems avoided by not using the plug-ins.

 Free VRML viewers that don't require a plug-in
are available from:

 __ demos for Navigating Terrains in Train , etc ___

" Subway, NYC, with Train " - 'walk' with mouse drags
 http://www.ismarvr.cz/shout3d/sub.htm

 " Rocket Train ? /  Target Practice "
http://home.worldnet.fr/~comptoir/guacamo.html

 " Walk Around Game Engine Demo "
 http://anfyteam.com/game/

 " Garden Maze "
 http://www.geometrek.com/members/kamil/shout3d/parks3d.html

 ** Look at the demo, if you want to find out about the plug-in
__click __  on the banner ( Anfy3d, Blaxxun3d, Shout3d ).

 " Java 3D --- Windows, Linux, Unix Workstations from SGI, IBM, etc."
  http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html

" Moving & Rotating in VRML: portable across plug-in, java, java3d "
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3d_and_vrml.html
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/shout3d/models/
     H-Anim/darts_animation_VRML.wrl

 The above file has a Dart that moves and rotates through
space ( as your train would ) you can see how the VRML
Position and Orientation Interpolators work.

 It also works in a game, using Web3d's H-Anim Avatars.

 This is the future ( don't look for books that out of print ! )

"Distributed Virtual Worlds:... Using Vrml, Java, and Corba"
|  everyone connected to the Internet can directly
|  enter a virtual world __ without __ installing
|  a new kind of software. The VRML technology offers ...
|  interactive three-dimensional ... [ coming March 31, 2001 ]
|
| Stephan Diehl, author & General Chair of __ Web3D __2001__

>  I'm new to VRML.  I'd like to develop a Java applet that
> would allow one to drive through a predefined terrain
>   on a fixed path (railroad track.)

>  What software tools are available to create the terrain and path?

 Then There's This:

 " Train Set " ( with working switches & movable track )
 http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/train_set.html

  The Win API is :  1900's Technology.

  The Web API is :  HTML, IP, VRML, Java & Linux.

  Be Free ...  Let your Data & Programs move freely on the web

  to run on any  browser & device :  avoid proprietary standards.

  --  Paul,  Java Developer & Web Animator.
 " Imaging the Imagined " : Modeling with Math & a keyboard.

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:53:03 GMT
 Point me in the right direction
Paul,

Thanks for the info.  You gave me a lot to look at!!!

Regards,
Karl

Quote:
> [...]

> |  a new kind of software. The VRML technology offers ...
> |  interactive three-dimensional ... [ coming March 31, 2001 ]
> |
> | Stephan Diehl, author & General Chair of __ Web3D __2001__
> |
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3540676244/

> >  I'm new to VRML.  I'd like to develop a Java applet that
> > would allow one to drive through a predefined terrain
> >   on a fixed path (railroad track.)

> >  What software tools are available to create the terrain and path?

>  Then There's This:

>  " Train Set " ( with working switches & movable track )
>  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/train_set.html

>   The Win API is :  1900's Technology.

>   The Web API is :  HTML, IP, VRML, Java & Linux.

>   Be Free ...  Let your Data & Programs move freely on the web

>   to run on any  browser & device :  avoid proprietary standards.

>   --  Paul,  Java Developer & Web Animator.

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 05:48:12 GMT
 Point me in the right direction
Quote:
> I'm new to VRML.  I'd like to develop a Java applet that would allow one
> drive through a predefined terrain on a fixed path (railroad track.)  What
> software tools are available to create the terrain and path?  Are any
> freeware?

sorry can't help with terrain and path creation, but its pretty easy to
import that data to VRML. once u have that information, creating a VRML
scene that can allow a user to 'drive' the train is not difficult and can be
done without the complexities of any Java, with some small JavaScripts (or,
depending on complexity, perhaps even without JavaScript). there was a
really nice website somewhere around with a trainset ppl could use in VRML,
i'll see if i can find it, but i doubt i will.
db

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:57:20 GMT
 Point me in the right direction
found something u might like to take a look at...
http://vrml.fornax.hu/train/track.wrl
dosn't allow you to be in the train, but pretty much anything else :-)
db

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:30:26 GMT

1. Any Help Appreciated : Point me in the right direction

2. ABSOLUTE NOVICE NEEDS POINTING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

3. beginner needs pointing in the right direction!

4. Extremely Newbie wants to program and pleads to be pointed in the right direction

5. Can somebody point me in the right direction, please?

6. A favour, or pointer in the right direction!

7. Canvas: Am I headed in the right direction?

8. sort points in circle rotation direction

9. Point an MS Access / VB developer in the right direction...

10. Help! ---Need the right embed point

11. how to point to right version of python?

12. Type/Class Distinction (was: RE: Future floating point directions? [was Re: floating point in 2.0])