help: js generated vrml
Author Message
 help: js generated vrml

I'm working on a project that involves dynamically creating
vrml with javascript, and have run into a problem when
generating vrml that uses remote files.

 I have written some javascript code that generates a vrml
file that contains inlines and externprotos. The code
generates valid vrml (works fine if i save it out and reload
it), but somehow when I pipe it to the vrml frame, netscape
pre-pends any remote file names with this text string:
"wysiwyg://vrml.89" (the number is different each time).
This prevents the vrml plug-in from finding the files,
because the filename is now wrong.
I have found some netscape documentation that says
"wysiwyg://" is a special url type for pages generated with
javascript, but why is it being inserted into my vrml text
string, and how can I fix this?

if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate help!

thanks,
peter gerstmann

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 help: js generated vrml

Quote:

> I'm working on a project that involves dynamically creating
> vrml with javascript, and have run into a problem when
> generating vrml that uses remote files.

>  I have written some javascript code that generates a vrml
> file that contains inlines and externprotos. The code
> generates valid vrml (works fine if i save it out and reload
> it), but somehow when I pipe it to the vrml frame, netscape
> pre-pends any remote file names with this text string:
> "wysiwyg://vrml.89" (the number is different each time).
> This prevents the vrml plug-in from finding the files,
> because the filename is now wrong.
> I have found some netscape documentation that says
> "wysiwyg://" is a special url type for pages generated with
> javascript, but why is it being inserted into my vrml text
> string, and how can I fix this?

> if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate help!

> thanks,
> peter gerstmann

 Hello,

I got the same problem. The solution I have found : give the absolute
path to all the files your call in your VRML file (images, sounds,
Inline...).

The probleme is that I have to put my documents on the Web and use them
on CD for presentations on PC or Mac, so I have to give all possible
URLs to the file ...

See the pages of my VRML tutorial
http://apia.u-strasbg.fr/vrml/tutoriel/ (sorry it is in french) for
instance this example :
http://apia.u-strasbg.fr/vrml/tutoriel/Part3/appearance.html

If someone have an other solution I am also interested.

Thierry Blandet
LSP/ENSPS
Louis Pasteur University
Strasbourg, France
French VRML mailing list, tutorial,...
http://apia.u-strasbg.fr/vrml/

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 help: js generated vrml

using absolute urls does the trick, thanks!
of course, like you, i still would like to be able to use relative urls...

[p]

Quote:
> I got the same problem. The solution I have found : give the absolute
> path to all the files your call in your VRML file (images, sounds,
> Inline...).

Sun, 31 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. NB. gray.js: a J verb that generates a grayscale postscript image from a 2d array

2. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

3. js.exception 3279.js

4. JS / VRML / HTML / camera binding

5. examples using JS to control vrml 2.0 wrls?

6. Piloting VRML from JS

7. Vrml to Window.open (JS)

8. vrml-java-generated vrml

9. PHP RSS 2 JS help?