EAI : getBrowser stalls offline applet ?
Author Message
 EAI : getBrowser stalls offline applet ?

Hello, could someone help me out on this problem. Basically, with a PC
diconnected
from the net (as needed for a demo) my applet doesn't return from the
Browser.getBrowser(this) call for about five minutes, whereupon it does
happily
get the handle to the browser. It's not that it's getting null back and
pausing
& retrying as desired, it just isn't returning from that function.

With the net connected it works straight away and finds the browser upon
first attempt.
Is this a problem that someone has heard of ? Everything works fine when
on-line.

I'm using Win NT4.0 (with SP3), Communicator 4.04 , Cosmo Player 2.1,
JDK 1.1.4

It has the same problem when trying the old dirty JSObject method of
getting the handle
to the browser. Also the same in Cosmo Player 2.0.

For example, the indicated line below is where my applet 'pauses' :

  System.out.println("before calling getBrowser (new way - looping
attempts)");
  for (int count = 0; count < 10; count++) {
   try {
    System.out.println("attempt : " + count);
    vrml_browser = Browser.getBrowser(this); // **** PAUSES HERE ....
****
    System.out.println("trace: found browser");
    }
   catch (Exception e) {
    System.out.println("trace: got null browser exception");
   }
   if (vrml_browser != null) break;
   try { Thread.sleep(200); }
   catch (InterruptedException ignored) { }
   System.out.println("browser was null, trying again...");
  }
  if (vrml_browser == null) {
   throw new Error("Failed to get the browser after 10 tries!");
  }

  System.out.println("vrml browser located, details are ...");
  System.out.println("name : " + vrml_browser.getName() + ", version : "
+ vrml_browser.getVersion() );
  System.out.println("URL loaded : " + vrml_browser.getWorldURL() );
  vrml_browser.print("This Scene has been succesfully detected by the
bt_museum.class applet");

A clue would might lie in the debug=9 output from the java console,
which seems to suggest that the netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader is in
fact trying to load a URL from
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; This address does
not exist and
the applet is probably retrying the URL a number of times before a
timeout.
What might be causing this ? Certainly a puzzler ?! The console output
is
shown below :

  The bt_museum Applet v1.0 has loaded
  trace: before calling getBrowser (new way - looping attempts)
  trace: attempt : 0

  # codebase = http://www.*-*-*.com/
  # archive = null

  # codebase = http://www.*-*-*.com/
  # archive = null
  # mayscript = true

  # codebase = http://www.*-*-*.com/
  # archive = null
  # mayscript = true
  trace: found browser
  vrml browser located, details are ...
  name : CosmoPlayer, version : 2.1
  URL loaded : http://www.*-*-*.com/
  # Security Exception: checkpropsaccess.key
  connected OK
  # Applet bt_museum running

Any help would be appreciated. You can try the on-line version of the
code
on another machine at :
http://www.*-*-*.com/
(if you want to try the expt, type in a user id of 'train_1' and press
START)

and the source is at :
http://www.*-*-*.com/

incidentally, we have an extesnive archive of our own VRML models on :
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Cheers,

iain.

-------------------------------------
Iain G. McKay
Research Associate
Centre for Communication Interface Research
University of Edinburgh

Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)

2. Browser.getBrowser(Applet)

3. EAI: getBrowser

4. eai: getBrowser / start-stop TimeSensor question

5. eai getBrowser trouble

6. getBrowser problem (EAI)

7. EAI,Cosmo Player: getBrowser return NullPointerException!

8. getBrowser() problem in EAI

9. pb with EAI, getBrowser() doesn't work

10. ??? on EAI getBrowser()

11. Q: EAI getBrowser()

12. EAI getBrowser() AND ie