Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ
Author Message
 Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ

The comp.lang.vrml FAQ (list of frequently asked
questions with answers) is at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~crispen/vrmlworks/faq/

Please read the FAQ before posting a question here.
I for one would like to see some of those questions
become a little *less* frequently asked around here.

Does anybody think I should add "Is vrml dead?" to
the FAQ? ;-)
--
Bob Crispen
Modeling & Simulation Technology

Speaking for me, not for us, and definitely not for them

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
: http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/faq/

: Please read the FAQ before posting a question here.
: I for one would like to see some of those questions
: become a little *less* frequently asked around here.

: Does anybody think I should add "Is VRML dead?" to
: the FAQ? ;-)

Please do.  I was giving a demo of a multi-User world here in the office
Friday and someone asked me, "But I thought VRML was dead."

I told them (don't ask me!) that because VRML was the only VR standard
that it had a good shot at prospering...  to create another standard that
would be implemented in authoring and realization would be problematic at
this point.  ("But what about Java3D the suit asked...").

Please provide me with a better answer than that... there is a general
vibe out there in Webland that VRML *is* dead.

Jeff Harrington   [--->>[[ New Zion Pastorale for Orchestra MPEG ]]<<-----]

http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ

Quote:

> : Please read the FAQ before posting a question here.
> : I for one would like to see some of those questions
> : become a little *less* frequently asked around here.

> Well, I checked it out, but couldn't find an answer to my problem... :-(

Then ask away.  We're all ears.  Not that any of us necessarily
knows the answer, but we'll give it a shot.

To tell the truth, folks around this little community don't
stomp on people the way they do in some newsgroups when
they ask a FAQ.  I kind of like that.  In fact, when I
post a one-line URL to a FAQ in answer to a FAQ that
comes up here, I hope nobody takes it amiss.  I'm just
coping the best way I can with too little time and too
much to do -- and Colony City isn't helping matters any.
Damn you, Blaxxun.  That's {*filter*}ive!
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

Donner, party of 12... er, 11...

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ

Quote:

> : Does anybody think I should add "Is VRML dead?" to
> : the FAQ? ;-)

> Please do.  I was giving a demo of a multi-User world here in the office
> Friday and someone asked me, "But I thought VRML was dead."

That's nothing.  I found out from a colleague today that
at a meeting I missed, I'd been *quoted* as saying that
VRML was dead and useless for database integration!

Fortunately nobody believed the person who alleged he
talked to me, and at the next meeting (which I'll also
have to miss due to the big boss coming to town and our
trotting out all our dogs and ponies) my colleague
promised to, uh, correct the record.

Since the cool stuff Daniel Lipkin -- a man I admire
intemperately -- has been doing with database integration
is now before the VRB and potentially on its way to
becoming a Recommended Practice, it was especially
annoying to be misrepresented this way.

Quote:
> I told them (don't ask me!) that because VRML was the only VR standard
> that it had a good shot at prospering...  to create another standard that
> would be implemented in authoring and realization would be problematic at
> this point.  ("But what about Java3D the suit asked...").

Java3D and VRML are, in my opinion, two roads to the
same place.  Now that Henry Sowizral and his colleagues
at Sun have been so generous in building an open source
VRML/Java3D browser, I think it ought to be clear to
everybody that what was once rivalry is now serious
collaboration.

Sun (I conjecture) hopes that VRML and Java3D will
each help boost the popularity and power of the other.
It's certainly what I hope.  More than a year ago, I
said -- and I was talking about an ideal world at the
time -- that if the geometry and scene is the most
important thing, use VRML; if the logic and equations
of motion are the most important thing, use Java3D.

Well, totally to my surprise, that ideal world seems
to be here.  We will help one another and we will both
grow.  And people building virtual worlds and scenes
will at last be able to use the right tool for the
job without having to learn a whole new way of
thinking and working.

Quote:
> Please provide me with a better answer than that... there is a general
> vibe out there in Webland that VRML *is* dead.

Not a chance.  35,000,000 browsers before Win98 shipped;
a VRML browser on the Win98 CD-ROM (and most OEMs are
installing it, from what I've heard); an active VRML
content community; VRML interest groups springing up
like weeds -- I'm just back from the Huntsville Alabama
VUG meeting tonight, and they're stoked on VRML;
mainstream business apps for VRML; the immense
presence of VRML at SIGGRAPH this year; large
corporations routinely packaging VRML plugins with
their web browsers and putting VRML on every desktop;
Sid and the Penguins -- the only Electronic Theater
presentation at SIGGRAPH that ran *live* every
night, because of VRML.

If that isn't alive, whatever it is will do for me.

Is VRML a solution in search of a problem?  In some
sense, yes.  Jim Blinn's keynote address at SIGGRAPH
listed as his final top 10 unanswered question in
graphics, "finding a use for real-time 3D" which
got a rueful laugh from everyone there.

So what that means is you've got a worse than even
chance today of making money from VRML.  Some
companies recently fell on the long side of those
odds and passed away, or were taken over.  Others
are doing more in other media than in VRML just
to keep the lights lit.

But is the endeavor we're all in a worthy one?
I never doubted it.  I believe that some time in
the near future human beings are going to grow in
ways they never believed possible because of the
capabilities this new medium will give them.

And if I can add a tiny bit to that -- be it a
comma in the spec or a person who caught fire
from my dim flame -- I'll look back on this time
in my life with some pride.

So should you.  So should we all.

There's one more thing.  I've had a chance to
meet some of the people who pledged their lives,
their fortunes, and their sacred honor to VRML.
These are giants.  To know them is sometimes
almost more than I can bear.  And to carry on
their work in some small way -- well, who could
see them and do less?

"And though we're neither wise nor good, we'll
do the best we know.  We'll build a house of
earth and wood, and make our garden grow."

Any questions?
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

Donner, party of 12... er, 11...

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ
: The comp.lang.vrml FAQ (list of frequently asked
: questions with answers) is at:
: http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/faq/

: Please read the FAQ before posting a question here.
: I for one would like to see some of those questions
: become a little *less* frequently asked around here.

Well, I checked it out, but couldn't find an answer to my problem... :-(

-- WEBPAGE : http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~chcc                           --
------------------ Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum -----------------

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Regular reminder: comp.lang.vrml FAQ

I still haven't gotten an answer as to why the location display HUD by Flounder
FAQ 5. Techniques #5
doesn't work (it stops moving) at a certain distance (like 10000 -- but it
varies)
from the origin.  I don't need a technical explanation, just some guidelines.

Quote:

> : The comp.lang.vrml FAQ (list of frequently asked
> : questions with answers) is at:
> : http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/faq/

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. comp.lang.vrml FAQ -- regular posting

2. comp.lang.vrml FAQ

3. comp.lang.vrml FAQ

4. The comp.lang.vrml FAQ has been updated

5. comp.lang.vrml FAQ updated

6. comp.lang.vrml FAQ

7. faq of comp.lang.vrml in Polish

8. comp.lang.vrml FAQ: monthly posting

9. comp.lang.vrml FAQ -- ahora en Espanol!

10. www-vrml mailing list to comp.lang.vrml?

11. comp.lang.forth FAQ-lite: A brief synopsis of the FAQ

12. Comp.Lang.Clarion and Comp.Lang.Clarion