How to maintain orientation when rotating an object with more than one transform?
Author Message
 How to maintain orientation when rotating an object with more than one transform?

Hi,
    I'm a student in a graphics course and am working on an assignment in
VRML97.

    What I'm attempting to do is create a vrml representation of  the famous
3D puzzle of many years ago, the RUBIKS Cube.  This is how I'm going about
it and the trouble I'm having.  Simply stated, each face of the cube is
composed of 9 smaller cubes, of which the ones on the edges and corners are
shared with one and two other faces, respectively.  Each face is rotated
with a cylindersensor, with the smaller cubes being added and removed from
the face transforms as they rotate to have a different face in common with
the one being moved.
    I'm at a loss how to keep track of which faces have which cubes in
common, and in particular when moving a smaller cube from one face to
another, how to maintain the proper orientation and position relative to the
whole.

    Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction you can provide.

David

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to maintain orientation when rotating an object with more than one transform?

Quote:
>     I'm a student in a graphics course and am working on an assignment in
> VRML97.

>     What I'm attempting to do is create a VRML representation of  the famous
> 3D puzzle of many years ago, the RUBIKS Cube.  This is how I'm going about
> it and the trouble I'm having.  Simply stated, each face of the cube is
> composed of 9 smaller cubes, of which the ones on the edges and corners are
> shared with one and two other faces, respectively.  Each face is rotated
> with a cylindersensor, with the smaller cubes being added and removed from
> the face transforms as they rotate to have a different face in common with
> the one being moved.
>     I'm at a loss how to keep track of which faces have which cubes in
> common, and in particular when moving a smaller cube from one face to
> another, how to maintain the proper orientation and position relative to the
> whole.

I think I know what your instructor has in mind.  Michael Wagner at
Arizona State University has the tutorial that he did at VRML 98 at
http://vienna.eas.asu.edu/~wagner/academic/vrml98/
and it just happens to mention Rubik's Cube.

If you don't happen to know quarternions already, be prepared to
learn them!  Hey, nobody ever said college was going to be easy.
And, trust me, your instructor knows Dr. Wagner's work, so be sure
to learn from it instead of copying it.
--
Bob Crispen

and establish thou the work of our hands upon us;
yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Transform: tranlation and rotate confusion!

2. Rotating Transform-nodes from a java node

3. Orientation Vector, How to rotate the right way?

4. Q: Condense two Transforms into one?

5. Maintaining integrity of objects with many references

6. how to use the rotation matrix when rotating on more than one axis

7. Maintain fsockopen handle, within object, across a session?

8. rotating an image does not rotate the canvas

9. Getting transformed coordinates of sensors and objects

10. trouble with USE of inner transform object

11. Transform Ada object into XML

12. Proposals for Object Orientation