a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed
Author Message
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Hello,

Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
with which you can search for 3D model files by text as well
as shape (2D sketches, 3D shape,...)

We're slowly improving the site stability, and need some more hits.

Try it out at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Currently about 20,000 (mostly VRML) models have been indexed.

It would be great if you could also click on the 'feedback' link
on that page and leave us some feedback.

thanks,

Patrick Min

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 05:37:09 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:37:09 -0500, Patrick Min

Quote:

>Hello,

>Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
>with which you can search for 3D model files by text as well
>as shape (2D sketches, 3D shape,...)

>We're slowly improving the site stability, and need some more hits.

>Try it out at:
>http://shape.cs.princeton.edu

>Currently about 20,000 (mostly VRML) models have been indexed.

>It would be great if you could also click on the 'feedback' link
>on that page and leave us some feedback.

I just tried a look for the search term "duck", and I have a screen
full of ducks. Also an egret, a farm, and a picnic.

And if I click on a duck.... polygon count, the lot. Wow! This is
brilliant!

Experimentation will continue when I have some more time, but that
just became my default vrml search page.

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:02:19 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed
Excelent work so far

I got an error:

It seems you are running Netscape 3.01
This site requires Netscape 4.76 (or IE 4.0) or higher,
with Java and Javascript enabled.

Except I have IE 5.5 with Java and Javascript enabled.

Paul Aslin
http://vrml.at/vmlworlds/

Quote:
> Hello,

> Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
> with which you can search for 3D model files by text as well
> as shape (2D sketches, 3D shape,...)

> We're slowly improving the site stability, and need some more hits.

> Try it out at:
> http://shape.cs.princeton.edu

> Currently about 20,000 (mostly VRML) models have been indexed.

> It would be great if you could also click on the 'feedback' link
> on that page and leave us some feedback.

> thanks,

> Patrick Min

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:23:48 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
> Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,

1. Frames. (Evil.)

2. Black background. (Ugly.)

3. Checks my browser type. (It shouldn't matter.)

4. Requires JavaScript! (Do you think I'm an idiot? Or a major idiot?)

5. Bye.

Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:55:11 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:

> 1. Frames. (Evil.)

An alternative we used in an older version was to have the results
come up in a different window.
It's not a realistic option to have a single page reload every time,
because of the applet running on it (apparently Netscape doesn't like
frequent applet reloading, plus we'd like to save state)

Quote:

> 2. Black background. (Ugly.)

Do you have a suggestion for another colour? I think white is too
bright.
We are going to change the background of the thumbnails by the way (some
are hard to see against a black background).

Quote:

> 3. Checks my browser type. (It shouldn't matter.)

Unfortunately it does. First I wanted to compile the sketch applet
with the JDK 1.0.2, so it would run Netscape 3 and up, but the page
uses 'liveconnect' to allow the javascript to talk to the applet and
vice versa, and that didn't appear until later.

Quote:

> 4. Requires JavaScript! (Do you think I'm an idiot? Or a major idiot?)

Because?

Quote:

> 5. Bye.

bye, thanks for the feedback,

Patrick Min

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 00:00:38 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
>> Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
> 4. Requires JavaScript!

I detected it is easy to play human javascript interpreter 8-)

When you "Open Link in New Window"  with the model, you will get:

javascript:void(window.open('info.cgi?mid=3653&dataset=web&ip=why.my.ip.num&search_id=2&rank=7', 'title', 'scrollbars=1,location=0,status=0,width=800,height=500'))

but the following is enough to work:

http://shape.cs.princeton.edu/search/info.cgi?mid=3653

Some useless information processed here ?

so long
MUFTI
--
Beginnen Sie die Maschine ohne irgendein Gedruckte Schaltkarten Geschenk
wieder und Gedruckte Schaltkarten.

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:18:46 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
>> 2. Black background. (Ugly.)

Ugly is not the problem. Ever tried to print a nearly black webpage ?
Dont use black, save the plant, printer font is harvested from 8-)

Quote:
> Do you have a suggestion for another colour?

How about the default background colour of the users webbrowser ?

Quote:
> We are going to change the background of the thumbnails by the way (some
> are hard to see against a black background).

The background of the thumbnails and the background of the frame is not
the same....

Quote:
>> 4. Requires JavaScript! (Do you think I'm an idiot? Or a major idiot?)
> Because?

A lot of people say it is wise to surf in the web with disabled
any active scripting. Active scripting can be used in a lot of ways
to trick surfers to do things, they dont want to do.

For this reason, some (not widespread) webbrowser do not offer any JavaScript.

For the keyword search i see no need for active scripting.
If you want, you can detect there is no working active scripting
and forward people to a keyword search only page.

so long
MUFTI
--
Beginnen Sie die Maschine ohne irgendein Gedruckte Schaltkarten Geschenk
wieder und Gedruckte Schaltkarten.
           (Card Executive 2.0 for NT Diagnostics)

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:30:38 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed
Great work !! It's the larger free objects database I never tried !

Some suggestions :
Upload :
How can we upload object with texture ? Will you accept the Zip files ?
It would be usefull to know who is the author and where is his web site.
These informations could be filled when you upload a new file.

Could you expose the terms of use of the objects ?

Who can we refer a broken link (missing wrl file) in the database ?

Great project !

Jean-Michel,
http://www.web3d-fr.com

Quote:
> Hello,

> Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
> with which you can search for 3D model files by text as well
> as shape (2D sketches, 3D shape,...)

> We're slowly improving the site stability, and need some more hits.

> Try it out at:
> http://shape.cs.princeton.edu

> Currently about 20,000 (mostly VRML) models have been indexed.

> It would be great if you could also click on the 'feedback' link
> on that page and leave us some feedback.

> thanks,

> Patrick Min

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 03:22:08 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
> but the following is enough to work:

> http://shape.cs.princeton.edu/search/info.cgi?mid=3653

> Some useless information processed here ?

No, the extra info is for logging purposes (measuring clickthrough
and so on)

Patrick

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:12:18 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

 > Ugly is not the problem. Ever tried to print a nearly black webpage ?

Quote:
> Dont use black, save the plant, printer font is harvested from 8-)

I see. Good point.

Quote:
> For the keyword search i see no need for active scripting.
> If you want, you can detect there is no working active scripting
> and forward people to a keyword search only page.

Ah well. Changing all this is pretty low-priority.

thanks for the tips though

Patrick

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:14:16 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
> How can we upload object with texture ? Will you accept the Zip files ?

thanks, I'll add it to the list of requests.

Quote:
> It would be usefull to know who is the author and where is his web site.
> These informations could be filled when you upload a new file.

Yes. For now the upload just does shape matching. It doesn't add the
model to our database or anything. A 'submit URL' feature could do that.

Quote:
> Could you expose the terms of use of the objects ?
>From the "free web models" collection, they're on the web. Of course

to be sure you can go to the actual site and see if there's anything
there that says you can't use the model.

Quote:
> Who can we refer a broken link (missing wrl file) in the database ?

In a future version of our crawler this'll be detected automatically.

Also, we have all models cached, both in original (VRML 1, Inventor and
VRML 2) form, and converted to VRML 2. The plan is to have a 'Cached'
link just like Google has.

Quote:
> Great project !

thanks,

Patrick

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:18:45 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed
Hello All,

Quote:

> > 3. Checks my browser type. (It shouldn't matter.)

> Unfortunately it does. First I wanted to compile the sketch applet
> with the JDK 1.0.2, so it would run Netscape 3 and up, but the page
> uses 'liveconnect' to allow the javascript to talk to the applet and
> vice versa, and that didn't appear until later.

> > 4. Requires JavaScript! (Do you think I'm an idiot? Or a major idiot?)

> Because?

I'm running Netscape 4.7 with Java and Javascript enabled - your page
won't run as it says it requires at least Netscape 4.72! I could fairly
easily upgrade to 4.72. I stopped 'upgrading' after trying NS 6 due to
its chronic performance problems on my 266Mhz Pentium II with 160MByte
memory! Those skins really soak up the MIPS! From my point of view I
think its unnecessary to have such prescriptive browser requirements.
Where I've used Javescript I made sure it worked from Netscape 2.02! Ok,
so can fairly easily upgrade to 4.72 (I've got a copy{*filter*} around
somewhere) but instead I suppose I'll just have to run up IE 5.5, though
I really shouldn't have to :-(! In any case running the search on my
browser caused it to lockup after one search. Anyway, many, many, many
others manage to get a search facilty to run without 'liveconnect',
right from the beginnings of the web. Personally I dislike fancy stuff
for the sake of it - if it *can* be done simply then do it simply.
Please, please, please only use extended functionality when you
ABSOLUTELY have to, not just because its 'faster', 'cleaner', and most
riduculously 'cooler' than the older way.

--
Bye,
Chris Boyce

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:06:40 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:
> For now the upload just does shape matching.

Shape matching based on what?
Do you analyze the wrl geometry or a screenshot of the geometry?
Is an analysis done of each shape or the overall wrl?

Interesting project.

s.

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:55:17 GMT
 a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Quote:

> Shape matching based on what?

A new method based on symmetry descriptors.

Quote:
> Do you analyze the wrl geometry or a screenshot of the geometry?

The geometry.

Quote:
> Is an analysis done of each shape or the overall wrl?

The whole file. It is very hard to segment a model into
its subparts (for example, to distinguish a single object
from a table with objects on it).

Patrick

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:10:22 GMT

1. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

2. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

3. search-engine indexing?

4. VHDL Model for HDLC transmitter & receiver engines

5. VHDL Model for HDLC transmitter & receiver engines

6. Looking for vrml models of car engines

7. searching and indexing engine [Q]

8. Inference Engine for CLOS models

9. setting the model of a TreePresenter in Dialog>>model:

10. Should ReferenceView<<model return referee model?

11. Data Modeling/Object Modeling (was Re: [OT] RE: help -- persuade my boss to adopt ruby)

12. c model convert to verilog/VHDl model