We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance
Author Message
 We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our vrml performance.

Is Cosmo 1.x Open GL accelerated.  Will 2.0 be?

Are there any VRML browser that take advantage of open GL

Is Cosmo's browser multi-threaded such that a multi processor machine
would improve performance?

Would a high performance graphics adapter improve performance?

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

Quote:

> We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance.

> Is Cosmo 1.x Open GL accelerated.  Will 2.0 be?

Dejavu feeling, wasn't this posted on cosmo.sgi.com as well?
Anyway, CP 1.0 is based on Renderware, i.e. any graphics card
that supports RW HW acceleration should work. CP 2.0 is based on
OpenGL, so any card with OpenGL HW acceleration should work.

Quote:
> Is Cosmo's browser multi-threaded such that a multi processor machine
> would improve performance?

Don't know about CP 2.0 and multithreading, but you also need to
take into consideration the threading of the browser itself. NS
3.0.x didn't have much threading really.

Quote:
> Would a high performance graphics adapter improve performance?

Sure. CP 2.0 is actually targeted for decent to good performance
on a low end Pentium, with no HW acceleration. But if you have
huge worlds with lots and lots of polygons and texture maps, it
helps to to have more iron. Kent.

 --- "From action the diversity of the world is produced."

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

Quote:
>We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance.

>Is Cosmo 1.x Open GL accelerated.

Nope.

Quote:
> Will 2.0 be?

Yup.

Quote:
>Are there any VRML browser that take advantage of open GL

GLView (http://www.glview.com); that's the only one I know to be available
at present.

Quote:
>Is Cosmo's browser multi-threaded such that a multi processor machine
>would improve performance?

Dunno.

Quote:
>Would a high performance graphics adapter improve performance?

Not significantly for Cosmo Player 1.0. Probably will for 2.0.

--

Home Page: http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/
VRML97 Home World: http://www.shadow.net/%7Ebraden/home.wrl

Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

Quote:

> We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance.

Of course

Quote:

> Is Cosmo 1.x Open GL accelerated.  Will 2.0 be?

CP 1.0 use Renderware (no HW I think)

and CP 2.0 (should be release in september but nobody know which year)
will support OGL

Quote:

> Are there any VRML browser that take advantage of open GL

GLView ??

Quote:

> Is Cosmo's browser multi-threaded such that a multi processor machine
> would improve performance?

Not until Netscape is multi-threaded for it's plugins

Quote:
> Would a high performance graphics adapter improve performance?

Right now WorldView/Matrox Mystique is great for HW accc.

ciao
--
Digital Territories
|    |     |------- Internet/Intranet Site Builders
|    |                            |
|    45E, rte de Sous-Moulin      |--- http://www.dtland.ch --
|      CH-1226 Thonex/Geneva                                 |

|-- Tel +41 (0)22 860 1074 -- Fax +41 (0)22 860 1073

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

Quote:

> We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance.

Of course

Quote:

> Is Cosmo 1.x Open GL accelerated.  Will 2.0 be?

CP 1.0 use Renderware (no HW I think)

and CP 2.0 (should be release in september but nobody know which year)
will support OGL

Quote:

> Are there any VRML browser that take advantage of open GL

GLView ??

Quote:

> Is Cosmo's browser multi-threaded such that a multi processor machine
> would improve performance?

Not until Netscape is multi-threaded for it's plugins

Quote:
> Would a high performance graphics adapter improve performance?

Right now WorldView/Matrox Mystique is great for HW accc.

ciao
--
Digital Territories
|    |     |------- Internet/Intranet Site Builders
|    |                            |
|    45E, rte de Sous-Moulin      |--- http://www.dtland.ch --
|      CH-1226 Thonex/Geneva                                 |

|-- Tel +41 (0)22 860 1074 -- Fax +41 (0)22 860 1073

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML Viewer using D3D hardware acceleration ?

2. VRML and hardware acceleration

3. Hardware acceleration with Squeak Smalltalk?

4. CP2.1b rendering Hardware Acceleration?

5. Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

6. Hardware acceleration with Cosmo Player 2

7. HARDWARE ACCELERATION

8. Software versus Hardware Acceleration

9. LIVE3D and hardware acceleration

10. Hardware acceleration (Direct-3D)?

11. Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

12. PyOpenGL on Linux: waiting for hardware acceleration