EAI : How to get notified that a node has finished loading ?
Author Message
 EAI : How to get notified that a node has finished loading ?

Quote:

> > Hello.

> > I wrote a vrml 2.0 world where I download scenes incrementally, based
> > on
> > the user position, using a Javascript script triggered by a Proximity
> > Sensor. In the script, I load a "subscene" using the
> > createVRMLFromURL().
> > It works fine. Now, I would like to access the nodes created this way
> > from an applet, using EAI. The problem is, I don't know how to detect
> > the
> > fact that the nodes are loaded and created. So either i access them
> > too
> > early, throwing an exception, either they finish to load but the
> > applet
> > is not aware of it. The problem should be similar with Inline nodes.
> > How
> > to get notified that all the nodes are loaded and created ?

> > I am sure some of you EAI gurus already faced and solved the problem
> > in a
> > simple and elegant way ; ) If so, please let me know.

I did three months ago a quick test where I loaded vrml nodes from EAI
using createVrmlFromURL, and I also installed a callback to the
Transform (or Group) children_changed, so I got a notification when this
was triggered, i.e. the entry was in the scene graph. I don't know how
bullet-proof this is, i.e. if the entry is fully configured when you get
the callback. If that does not fully work (seemed to work fine in the
small test I did) is then to maybe install entries to a Switch node, you
get the notification callback, and then you switch the entry in. Anyway,
that's just a special case if the direct callback is not a full
indication that the entry is valid. There are so many browsers out
there, so it's good to have all kinds of possible workarounds... --Kent

--
---
"From action the diversity of the world is produced."

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting the name of a Node with EAI ??

2. EAI: Problem with getting EventIn of a PROTO node

3. EAI: How to add nodes to the Switch{} node

4. Tkinter: Getting notified of widget size request changes

5. Getting notified of size request changes

6. getting notified when window is resized

7. Telling when an image has finished loading

8. EAI to change picture in ImageTexture-node??

9. Mixing Java EAI stuff with Java in Script nodes

10. Faking user selection in EAI and the Anchor Node

11. EAI and deleting nodes

12. Accessing EAI nodes