Conversion of Tessellated Models into VRML Objects
Author Message
 Conversion of Tessellated Models into VRML Objects

Does anyone know of an existing (or currently being developed) algorithm
which will convert a complex Tessellated Model (from CAD program) into vrml
objects. This would involve object recognition of components of the model
which then be converted into cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc.

Evan Westermann
AEA Technology Engineering Services, Inc.

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Conversion of Tessellated Models into VRML Objects

Quote:
>Does anyone know of an existing (or currently being developed) algorithm
>which will convert a complex Tessellated Model (from CAD program) into VRML
>objects. This would involve object recognition of components of the model
>which then be converted into cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc.

While such a program may have its uses, it doesn't strike me as very likely
to generate well-optimized models. In that regard, I think your best bet is
still to use IndexedFaceSets in concert with LOD and a polygon reduction
tool.

Prismatic Booger

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Conversion of Tessellated Models into VRML Objects

You may have the answer to this by now or you may not....
I am using a copy of SolidView by Solid Concepts which I use to convert STL
files to VRML 1.0 and 2.0 format.  Unfortunately it isn't cheap.  We got it on
an educational deal.

This has been discussed in the mailing list rp-ml (rapid-prototyping).  There
were other options.  Try searching through the archive
http://ltk.hut.fi/archives/rp-ml/ though VRML may not appear in front of title.

here are a few that resulted from a query to yahoo (rp-nl VRML):
http://ltk.hut.fi/archives/rp-ml-96.05/0181.html
http://ltk.hut.fi/archives/rp-ml-96.05/0249.html
http://ltk.hut.fi/archives/rp-ml-96.05/0269.html

John

Quote:

> Does anyone know of an existing (or currently being developed) algorithm
> which will convert a complex Tessellated Model (from CAD program) into VRML
> objects. This would involve object recognition of components of the model
> which then be converted into cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc.

> Evan Westermann
> AEA Technology Engineering Services, Inc.

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

2. Object models, Domain models, Application models, and MVC?

3. VRML 2.0 models of military objects

4. Data Modeling/Object Modeling (was Re: [OT] RE: help -- persuade my boss to adopt ruby)

5. Models and ABEL to Verilog Conversion

6. Conversion of VHDL Model to SW Simulation Nucleus

7. Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

8. Kitchen VRML model

9. VRML TANK MODEL

10. Free VRML models?

11. Protect/Encrypt/Code VRML models