Using QvLib as Inventor look-alike? or free Inventor look-alike?
Author Message
 Using QvLib as Inventor look-alike? or free Inventor look-alike?

Hi,

Is it possible to use QvLib as a sort of Open Invertor
library?
Once qvlib has parsed the vrml file is it possible to
modify the variables (translations, add/delete objects, move
cameras around, etc.)?
Is there a simple (very) vrml viewer done with qvlib?
(I looked at vrweb, but it is huge, and very complicated)

Or, is there an Open Inventor look-alike out there (like
the Mesa library has done for OpenGL)?

Thanks,
-martin

Wed, 28 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Using QvLib as Inventor look-alike? or free Inventor look-alike?

Hello Martin,

Quote:
> Is it possible to use QvLib as a sort of Open Invertor
> library?

As QvLib was extracted from Inventor, it gives you the data structure
in addition to the parser. Good starting point.

Quote:
> Once qvlib has parsed the vrml file is it possible to
> modify the variables (translations, add/delete objects, move
> cameras around, etc.)?

You may take a look at
http://www.sdsc.edu/vrml/dvsoftware.html
for useful code pieces.

Quote:
> Is there a simple (very) vrml viewer done with qvlib?
> (I looked at vrweb, but it is huge, and very complicated)

Is it? I admit not to have taken the time (fact: I don't have the
time) to split off the rendering library to be Inventor-like and
reusable. Main reason: large code parts were written before VRML.
If you dig deeper into the code you might find some reusable parts.

Quote:
> Or, is there an Open Inventor look-alike out there (like
> the Mesa library has done for OpenGL)?

This has several times been asked/discussed on the Mesa mailing list.
People investing that much effort into free libraries are very rare
(Brian Paul is such a person).

I personally would much prefer a free library that resembles Cosmo3D/
Java3D (the "next generation Inventor") -- once the interface is
public.

Quote:
> Thanks,
> -martin

cheers,
Michael

--

| Schieszstattgasse 4a               / /'96          Tel: +43-316-873-5627 |
| A-8010 Graz/Austria/EU-rope   towards infinity ...   Fax: +43-316-824394 |

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. EXCEL Look alike OCX

2. Looking for a Unix alike tar tool written in Python

3. Python sscanf() look-alike.

4. Using files from Robolab pilot as seed files for inventor level or lab view

5. Using Inventor inside a Tcl app

6. Any experience using tcl/tk with Inventor?

7. Object Persistence (OODBMS alike) for Smalltalk

8. How Create Browse + Form, alike C 3.1 child screen

9. ANN: PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook

10. Gauss-alike?

11. Need for VX/REXX alike on Linux?

12. list comprehensions alike Python ???