behavior to reload a single geometry in a VRML world ?
Author Message
 behavior to reload a single geometry in a VRML world ?

Hi

I am looking for an efficient method to give the vrml client user the
possibility of reloading an updated version of one geometry in a VRML world.

I have one small VRML world in which one single object (a plant) is growing.
The plant files are stored on a server and updated by some scripts. I would
like to give the visitor the possibility to "update on demand" the plant.

How could it be achieved please in VRML ?
Can it be done with a VRMLscript associated with a touchsensor ?

thanks

Web3D

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 behavior to reload a single geometry in a VRML world ?
Hi,

I think there are two ways to do this with VRMLscript:

1) e.g. field SFNode Transf USE trannsformnode
   And then work with .removeChildren and .addchildren

2) Make different worlds (*.wrl or createVrmlFromString) and then use the
Browser.replaceWorld()

For more details about these functions, check the tutorial
www.vapourtech.com/vrml

Gerry

Quote:

>Hi

>I am looking for an efficient method to give the VRML client user the
>possibility of reloading an updated version of one geometry in a VRML
world.

>I have one small VRML world in which one single object (a plant) is
growing.
>The plant files are stored on a server and updated by some scripts. I would
>like to give the visitor the possibility to "update on demand" the plant.

>How could it be achieved please in VRML ?
>Can it be done with a VRMLscript associated with a touchsensor ?

>thanks

>Web3D

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 behavior to reload a single geometry in a VRML world ?
replacing the world is a bit excessive, especially if you are trying to do
it with a createVrmlFromString, and be able to do it an large number of
times, because the entire scene would need to be nested inside a string, and
then it would need to be nested again if that scene were to load another
scene, a better solution may be just to have an empty group node, and
replace its contents on demand

Quote:
> Hi,

> I think there are two ways to do this with VRMLscript:

> 1) e.g. field SFNode Transf USE trannsformnode
>    And then work with .removeChildren and .addchildren

> 2) Make different worlds (*.wrl or createVrmlFromString) and then use the
> Browser.replaceWorld()

> For more details about these functions, check the tutorial
> www.vapourtech.com/vrml

> Gerry

> >Hi

> >I am looking for an efficient method to give the VRML client user the
> >possibility of reloading an updated version of one geometry in a VRML
> world.

> >I have one small VRML world in which one single object (a plant) is
> growing.
> >The plant files are stored on a server and updated by some scripts. I
would
> >like to give the visitor the possibility to "update on demand" the plant.

> >How could it be achieved please in VRML ?
> >Can it be done with a VRMLscript associated with a touchsensor ?

> >thanks

> >Web3D

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 behavior to reload a single geometry in a VRML world ?

Quote:

>Hi

>I am looking for an efficient method to give the VRML client
user the
>possibility of reloading an updated version of one geometry in
a VRML world.

What that Blaikie guy below said is true,
I do it when I edit something "on-the-fly":

I have a "container" scene with a TouchSensor.
When the TouchSensor is clicked, a group node's
children field is cleared, and a CreateVRMLFromUrl
is used to re-add something to the children field.

Mail me back if you need an example file, it is quite simple.
It has some benefits, and some drawbacks.

Benefits are:
a) quick loading
b) I get to keep my camera angle

Drawbacks:
a) some things, like the sky, only
work in the container file and not from the loaded one.
b) sometimes it is irksome to try to keep the
clickable TouchSensor in the view.

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML world RELOAD

2. How to change class instances behavior via reload?

3. Reload an inline in current world

4. ANN MeshMart's VRML Update Mar 31 and World of WOrlds

5. VOTE VRML WORLDS: ITALIAN VRML COMPETITION

6. Two VRML worlds (VRML+Java)

7. How to reload the vrml

8. Gcc's odd behavior with Single precision Complex variable

9. adding geometry progressively to VRML

10. VRML 2.0 Shape and Geometry Nodes

11. VRML change textures and geometry

12. Q: VRML geometry to OpenGL C code?