Commonality of VRML generators . . . ?
Author Message
 Commonality of VRML generators . . . ?

I invested some time into vrml about 2 yearsa ago, but abandoned it due to the
lack of language commonality between diferent  VRML viewers.  Potential
customers were unable to view my files, or they would load with errors.

My question being: has there been a fix? Has VRML been more standardized enough
for compatability across viewers?

Thank you in advance.

Fritz Gunter

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;<- check out my great 3-D military graphics!!!

Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Commonality of VRML generators . . . ?

Quote:

> I invested some time into VRML about 2 yearsa ago, but abandoned it due to the
> lack of language commonality between diferent  VRML viewers.  Potential
> customers were unable to view my files, or they would load with errors.

> My question being: has there been a fix? Has VRML been more standardized enough
> for compatability across viewers?

Yes and no.  When I gave a presentation at VRML 97 that's at
http://hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/color/sld001.htm
the state of the art in even such simple things as worlds looking the
same everywhere in their color and lighting was horrible.  It's gotten
better, but the splendid conformance tests that Mary Brady and her
group at NIST did at http://autumn.ncsl.nist.gov/vrml-conf/index.html
have gone largely unused, at least publicly, because of a political
problem the Consortium never realized they might have: if there
were teeth in the conformance testing process, they'd have to ask for
money for dues from companies with one hand while trashing those
companies' browsers' conformance with the other.

I've heard of content development companies charging $N for a VRML
world that's targeted to one browser and $N*1.7 for a world that
works and looks good on more than one.

Still, having done a VRML world that worked fine in the five VRML
browsers I used to test it:
http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/vrml98/vrml/monterey.wrl
I can testify that it is possible, and you don't have to live with
a very severly limited VRML world.

The best advice I can give is try it on a mockup of your application
with a few browsers and see how it does.
--
Bob Crispen

'T is with our judgments as our watches,--none
Go just alike, yet each believes his own.
-- Alexander Pope: _Essay on Criticism_

Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with VMS and g77 commonality attempt

2. VRML generators......

3. VRML Generators

4. prolog2vrml.pro BinProlog based VRML 2.0 generator

5. Graphical VRML generator/builder

6. VRML Fractal Landscape Generator

7. Perl-based auto VRML generator?

8. Ray Traced Texture Generator for VRML?

9. Free VRML generator

10. VRML Plugin specific link generator

11. VRML generator with perl

12. VRML Generator OCX....