is VRML the only Web3D??????
Author Message
 is VRML the only Web3D??????

Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
there any other system. Please reply!

sunny

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:43:04 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
Hi, you can try FastScript3D for viewing and animating 3D files
on the internet:

http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov

Patti Koenig

Quote:

> Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
> there any other system. Please reply!

> sunny

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:30:21 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
But this once again uses Java3D.....

sunny

Quote:

> Hi, you can try FastScript3D for viewing and animating 3D files
> on the internet:

> http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov

> Patti Koenig

> > Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
> > there any other system. Please reply!

> > sunny

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:18:33 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????

Quote:
> Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
> there any other system. Please reply!

There are zillions of  other 3d on the web options, some are already gone
again.
Most other solutions are tied to a proprietary format, are requiring
the purchase of specific builder tools, and are tied to a special
sub-domain.

-- Holger

Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:00:52 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????

Quote:
>Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
>there any other system. Please reply!

>sunny

Stick to vrml the rest are just bandits trying to emulate what you
have already.  There are some brilliant folk out there with great
ideas for vrml. The big boys are worried that vrml takes 3D to the
masses and out of the proprietary box.  How else do you get high end
stuff on a web browser?  Solid works Pro Engineer and the rest are
twitching I`ll bet, being able to share what was once the domain of
the expensive on a common web browser! ;-)  Now they are coming out
with E-Visuals  aye right!!!  Stick with the vrml and cut the
bullshit!  Now we even can get data from MRI Scanners into vrml!
I just wish the big players in vrml would get their acts together and
pull as one and come up with a solution to harmony and unity, cos the
emulators love confusion.

Jake

Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:03:21 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
  How interesting. Not that I beg to differ or anything, but I am
working with a project that requires much, much 3D over network
protocols. Maybe VRML is the way to go. I haven't looked at it since
about 1997. I was thinking game engines. My project is OpenSource.
http://nexxus.sourceforge.net  Maybe you have a little bit of advice?
Quote:

>>Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
>>there any other system. Please reply!

>>sunny

> Stick to vrml the rest are just bandits trying to emulate what you
> have already.  There are some brilliant folk out there with great
> ideas for vrml. The big boys are worried that vrml takes 3D to the
> masses and out of the proprietary box.  How else do you get high end
> stuff on a web browser?  Solid works Pro Engineer and the rest are
> twitching I`ll bet, being able to share what was once the domain of
> the expensive on a common web browser! ;-)  Now they are coming out
> with E-Visuals  aye right!!!  Stick with the vrml and cut the
> bullshit!  Now we even can get data from MRI Scanners into vrml!
> I just wish the big players in vrml would get their acts together and
> pull as one and come up with a solution to harmony and unity, cos the
> emulators love confusion.

> Jake

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:42:36 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????

Quote:
>  How interesting. Not that I beg to differ or anything, but I am
> working with a project that requires much, much 3D over network
> protocols.
> Maybe you have a little bit of advice?

| An Open Source environment to connect systems, users, and
| networks into one audio/visual entity. This project is intended to
| bring networking of users into a 3D conglomerate, with support of
| infrared technologies and intelligent routing/ maintenance.

I see not much need for "much, much 3D over network protocols."

When you compare it with things like "VNet", you will start by sending
avator informations at startup to the clients (i think, e.g. VNet simply
distribute the URLs or the VRML files of the avatars).

Later you only send updates of the information from you infrared sensors
(with whatever network protocol) and let your client program account the
avatar changes.

I think, even if you decide not to use VRML, you will end with a "other fat
client with good connection to the 3D Hardware/graphiccard" that handles the
3D accounting by itself (instead of let the server do much more than
distributing the sensor information).

Quote:
>>>Is VRML/X3D the only method of viewing 3D files on the internet or is
>>>there any other system. Please reply!

BTW: If you have a account on the Internet server, you can also view
     3D files from the net with a working OpenGL/UNIX/X11 system 8-)

so long
MUFTI
--
Every Array object has a length property whose value is always an
integer with positive sign and less than 232.

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:40:32 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
Oh! to have the resources and the brain power to keep up with you
guys. Great ideas out there for vrml. My ideal world would be one
browser one plugin sees all.
Oh! and set to bin all Flav {*filter*};-)

Jake the old but still e{*filter*}d Scotsman

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:04:59 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
Scotsman? Scotsman? I'm a Donald!
Quote:

> Oh! to have the resources and the brain power to keep up with you
> guys. Great ideas out there for vrml. My ideal world would be one
> browser one plugin sees all.
> Oh! and set to bin all Flav {*filter*};-)

> Jake the old but still e{*filter*}d Scotsman

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:58:57 GMT
 is VRML the only Web3D??????
Actually, I need to rewrite that phrase today. It seems to be confusing
everyone. The webpage itself is more to the reality.
  The support of wireless (what I called IR) is to eventually connect
the user. Not in the cards for the first four development turns.

I will look at VNet and find out what that is.

Thanks!

Quote:
>> How interesting. Not that I beg to differ or anything, but I am
>>working with a project that requires much, much 3D over network
>>protocols.

>>Maybe you have a little bit of advice?

> | An Open Source environment to connect systems, users, and
> | networks into one audio/visual entity. This project is intended to
> | bring networking of users into a 3D conglomerate, with support of
> | infrared technologies and intelligent routing/ maintenance.

> I see not much need for "much, much 3D over network protocols."

> When you compare it with things like "VNet", you will start by sending
> avator informations at startup to the clients (i think, e.g. VNet simply
> distribute the URLs or the VRML files of the avatars).

> Later you only send updates of the information from you infrared sensors
> (with whatever network protocol) and let your client program account the
> avatar changes.

> I think, even if you decide not to use VRML, you will end with a "other fat
> client with good connection to the 3D Hardware/graphiccard" that handles the
> 3D accounting by itself (instead of let the server do much more than
> distributing the sensor information).

> BTW: If you have a account on the Internet server, you can also view
>      3D files from the net with a working OpenGL/UNIX/X11 system 8-)

> so long
> MUFTI

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:02:10 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: VRML site evolution to Web3D site

2. Article: Test of BS Contact VRML 6.1 (Web3d-Fr.com)

3. New VRML/Web3D Forums

4. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2001.02.04

5. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2001.02.19

6. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2001.02.11

7. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2001.01.28

8. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2001.01.14

9. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2000.12.25

10. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2000.12.17

11. Info: Web3D-VRML Repository updates 2000.12.10