EAI and frames; EAI & IE 
Author Message
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE

Hello!

I'm trying to make a page with two frames: a
bigger one containing a world and a smaller one
containg navigation -- links to viewpoints in the
world. My first problem is that simple hrefs do
not work. I made a small applet to bind
viewpoints then. But, in IE (with MS vrml viewer)
getNode() fails, saying: plugin is null, restart
browser. At the same time (browser!=null) returns
true. And in Netscape my applet is not loaded
correctly when placed not in the same frame with
the world. What is that all: a normal behaviour
of yet not-perfect technologies or my lack of
knowledge? Please help me to find out.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE

Quote:

> Hello!

> I'm trying to make a page with two frames: a
> bigger one containing a world and a smaller one
> containg navigation -- links to viewpoints in the
> world. My first problem is that simple hrefs do
> not work. I made a small applet to bind
> viewpoints then. But, in IE (with MS VRML viewer)
> getNode() fails, saying: plugin is null, restart
> browser. At the same time (browser!=null) returns
> true. And in Netscape my applet is not loaded
> correctly when placed not in the same frame with
> the world. What is that all: a normal behaviour
> of yet not-perfect technologies or my lack of
> knowledge? Please help me to find out.

Hello!

I have never worked with the MS VRML viewer, but I have had plenty of
problems trying to get communication between the VRML viewer in one
frame and an applet in another frame to work.

In theory you are just supposed to use
browser=Browser.GetBrowser(this);
or, when that doesnt work
browser=getBRowser(applet Applet, String frame, int index);
i.e. browser=getBrowser(this,"theotherframename", 0);

In practice the second one worked fine with the combination
cosmoplayer/MSIE5

with the combination cosmoplayer/netscape it worked sometimes.

Personally the best results I have gotten with communication across
frames has been with the blaxxun browser, but then you have to write
some VBScript to send the vrml-browser to your applet.

In my case I have not found any way to avoid frames, but I sure wish I
could had managed to find a single-frame solution. EAI seems to be
plenty more platform independant when you don't try to communicate
across the frameborders.

---

Regarding the browser!=null result you got, right after you got hold of
your browser ... did you try to send a

System.out.println("Yeaman the browser has been found and it is" +
browser);

?

Regards
noxqs

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Thu, 21 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE
NOXQS!  You seem to be in territory that I am now trying to understand.  A
few questions (see [Q] below):

Quote:

>browser=Browser.GetBrowser(this);
>or, when that doesnt work
>browser=getBRowser(applet Applet, String frame, int index);
>i.e. browser=getBrowser(this,"theotherframename", 0);

>In practice the second one worked fine with the combination
>cosmoplayer/MSIE5

[Q] The name "theotherframename" is on a NAME= attribute, right?  In a
FRAMESET using two FRAMES, one for the applet and the other for an embedded
world?

Using Blaxxun, as you state, this doesn't work?

Quote:
>Personally the best results I have gotten with communication across
>frames has been with the blaxxun browser, but then you have to write
>some VBScript to send the vrml-browser to your applet.

[Q] This script is used to grab the embedded object yes and invoke the
Applet?  This must be in IE, since I think Netscape's support (if any) of VB
Script might exclude the automation interface to Applets on the page.

Quote:
>In my case I have not found any way to avoid frames, but I sure wish I
>could had managed to find a single-frame solution. EAI seems to be
>plenty more platform independant when you don't try to communicate
>across the frameborders.

[Q] Isn't the case where you  want one Applet to control two worlds in need
of the API that uses s framename and index?  Otherwise, wouldn't you need VB
script to do this? Which is IE only?

Thanks.



Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE
Thank you very much for your help.
But that solutions works on NC really sometimes,
and my case was a wrong time for it. Problem with
MS viewer also persists.



Quote:

> Regarding the browser!=null result you got,

right after you got hold of
Quote:
> your browser ... did you try to send a

> System.out.println("Yeaman the browser has been
found and it is" +
> browser);

> ?

Yes, I did. It returns type of browser variable

this). I used MS classes in my applet (in vain
hope they'll do better than Cosmo classes)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE


Quote:
> NOXQS!  You seem to be in territory that I am now trying to
understand.  A
> few questions (see [Q] below):


> >browser=Browser.GetBrowser(this);
> >or, when that doesnt work
> >browser=getBRowser(applet Applet, String frame, int index);
> >i.e. browser=getBrowser(this,"theotherframename", 0);

> >In practice the second one worked fine with the combination
> >cosmoplayer/MSIE5

> [Q] The name "theotherframename" is on a NAME= attribute, right?  In a
> FRAMESET using two FRAMES, one for the applet and the other for an
embedded
> world?

Yes. The code in the applet
browser=getBrowser(this,"theotherframename", 0);
refers to the name of one of the frames in the frameset.

Quote:
> Using Blaxxun, as you state, this doesn't work?

Well ... I didn't get it to work.

Quote:
> >Personally the best results I have gotten with communication across
> >frames has been with the blaxxun browser, but then you have to write
> >some VBScript to send the vrml-browser to your applet.

> [Q] This script is used to grab the embedded object yes and invoke the
> Applet?  This must be in IE, since I think Netscape's support (if
any) of VB
> Script might exclude the automation interface to Applets on the page.

Yup, I am basically forced to use MSIE.

Quote:
> >In my case I have not found any way to avoid frames, but I sure wish
I
> >could had managed to find a single-frame solution. EAI seems to be
> >plenty more platform independant when you don't try to communicate
> >across the frameborders.

> [Q] Isn't the case where you  want one Applet to control two worlds
in need
> of the API that uses s framename and index?  Otherwise, wouldn't you
need VB
> script to do this? Which is IE only?

Sorry, I have no experience with more than one VRML-world.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 EAI and frames; EAI & IE

Could you use tables instead of frames?

Jaha

Quote:
>Thank you very much for your help.
>But that solutions works on NC really sometimes,
>and my case was a wrong time for it. Problem with
>MS viewer also persists.



>> Regarding the browser!=null result you got,
>right after you got hold of
>> your browser ... did you try to send a

>> System.out.println("Yeaman the browser has been
>found and it is" +
>> browser);

>> ?
>Yes, I did. It returns type of browser variable

>this). I used MS classes in my applet (in vain
>hope they'll do better than Cosmo classes)

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. EAI & frames

2. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

3. EAI and coding to the EAI

4. EAI, VRML, IE Fix.

5. IE 4/5 with EAI received nullPointerException

6. EAI getBrowser() AND ie

7. IE 4.0 and Cosmo EAI

8. EAI w/ IE?

9. Using EAI with IE

10. EAI for IE?

11. EAI in Netscape and IE

12. Differences between EAI 1 and EAI 2

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software