VRML EAI loading problem on SGI
Author Message
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Hello,

 I am trying to get EAI to work on SGI Irix 6.5 with Cosmo 1.1.
However, everytime I load a vrml file with or without an
applet, I get the following error in the Java console:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vrml/external/Browser

Without this, my applet can never get the Browser. The needed
classes are located in /usr/CosmoPlayer/classes but nothing
seems to pick them up. I've tried everything from setting
CLASSPATH's to even copying the classes locally but the
plugin never seems to find them. I'm getting the error on all
versions of Communicator 4.x. I know that EAI is supported
in 1.1 and the classes are right where they should be! If anyone
knows how to resolve this, please let me know.

Thank You

--
Ashfaq

Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> Hello,
>  I am trying to get EAI to work on SGI Irix 6.5 with Cosmo 1.1.
> However, everytime I load a VRML file with or without an
> applet, I get the following error in the Java console:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vrml/external/Browser

Can I do this one, Gil? :)

First: forget the error message. It is completely harmless. The problem
has a different origin.

Apparently, when you use Netscape 4 under IRIX, the call to getBrowser
always fails - but only the first time. So what you need to do is create
a sacrificial world (this can be a very small one) and and an applet
that tries to get the browser but is doomed to fail. On the html page
that contains the world and applet, you put an automatic link to your
real world/applet page (i.e. the one that you really want to be working)
that loads after a few seconds (5 should be enough, but you must be sure
that the sacrifial world and applet have loaded completely, tried to
grab the browser, and failed). You can do this using a <META
HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5;URL=myRealPage.html"> statement that you
put at the end of your sacrificial html page, just before the </BODY>
statement. This should automatically bring up the page with your real
world and applet. The applet should now be able to get the browser
without any problems.

(All of the above is thanks to Gil Carter, who helped me out when I had
the exact same problem and posted it to this newsgroup just a week ago.)

NOTE: In my particular case, this solution did not work; I ended up
reverting to Netscape 3 which solved the problem. Normally, you should
be OK though.

Wilco
--
= Wilco Vertegaal                        = "A kingdom! A kingdom!     =

= homepage: http://stad.dsl.nl/~vertegaa =  -Richard III, afterwards  =

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> > Hello,
> >  I am trying to get EAI to work on SGI Irix 6.5 with Cosmo 1.1.
> > However, everytime I load a VRML file with or without an
> > applet, I get the following error in the Java console:
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vrml/external/Browser

> Can I do this one, Gil? :)

> First: forget the error message. It is completely harmless. The problem
> has a different origin.

> Apparently, when you use Netscape 4 under IRIX, the call to getBrowser
> always fails - but only the first time. So what you need to do is create
> a sacrificial world (this can be a very small one) and and an applet
> that tries to get the browser but is doomed to fail. On the html page
> that contains the world and applet, you put an automatic link to your
> real world/applet page (i.e. the one that you really want to be working)
> that loads after a few seconds (5 should be enough, but you must be sure
> that the sacrifial world and applet have loaded completely, tried to
> grab the browser, and failed). You can do this using a <META
> HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5;URL=myRealPage.html"> statement that you
> put at the end of your sacrificial html page, just before the </BODY>
> statement. This should automatically bring up the page with your real
> world and applet. The applet should now be able to get the browser
> without any problems.

> (All of the above is thanks to Gil Carter, who helped me out when I had
> the exact same problem and posted it to this newsgroup just a week ago.)

Thank you for the reply.

Well, after trying this suggestion, I am still getting the same errors. I'm

not sure how the applet can get the browser if both VRML and Java give
me ClassNotFoundException's for vrml.external.broswer? I think it should
have at least found the classes first and then given me an error about not
being
able to load the browser variable. I'm almost ready to give up on this and
perhaps just stick to NT which seems to work pretty well. Here's a stack
dump from the console. The first exception is from VRML and the second
one is from the applet.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vrml/external/Browser
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vrml.external.Browser
  at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:818)
  at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass1(AppletClassLoader.java:685)
  at
netscape.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:649)
  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:336)
  at com.vrml.ui.Vrml.start(Vrml.java:108)
* at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$StartAppletEvent.dispatch(DerivedAppletFrame.java:640)

  at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread$EventPump.dispatchEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:81)

  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:135)
  at
netscape.applet.DerivedAppletFrame$AppletEventDispatchThread.run(DerivedAppletFrame.java:911)

Quote:
> NOTE: In my particular case, this solution did not work; I ended up
> reverting to Netscape 3 which solved the problem. Normally, you should
> be OK though.

I'd like to try this however I'm using the swing library to do the UI. This

is only available in NS 4.04 or newer.

Thanks for your help.

--
Ashfaq

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> Apparently, when you use Netscape 4 under IRIX, the call to getBrowser
> always fails - but only the first time. So what you need to do is create
> a sacrificial world (this can be a very small one) and and an applet
> that tries to get the browser but is doomed to fail. On the html page
> that contains the world and applet, you put an automatic link to your
> real world/applet page (i.e. the one that you really want to be working)
> that loads after a few seconds (5 should be enough, but you must be sure
> that the sacrifial world and applet have loaded completely, tried to
> grab the browser, and failed). You can do this using a <META
> HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5;URL=myRealPage.html"> statement that you
> put at the end of your sacrificial html page, just before the </BODY>
> statement. This should automatically bring up the page with your real
> world and applet. The applet should now be able to get the browser
> without any problems.

> (All of the above is thanks to Gil Carter, who helped me out when I had
> the exact same problem and posted it to this newsgroup just a week ago.)

> NOTE: In my particular case, this solution did not work; I ended up
> reverting to Netscape 3 which solved the problem. Normally, you should
> be OK though.

Wilco, what do you consider to be 'normally'?
Both you, Ashfaq and I tried this 'solution' but it did not work for any of
us?

Btw, I was using NS4.04 with CP (1.1 on Irix 6.3) and EAI without any
problems, then I installed NS4.06 and EAI didn't work anymore:
Failed to get browser: netscape.javascript.JSException: unable to reflect
embed with index 0 - not loaded yet?

So I went back to 4.04, but now I get the same error there.
Thinking logically, this means that something in my setup must have changed,
but I don't know what... it's driving me mad :-/

Any other suggestions?

Herbert

--
Herbert Baerten
E-mail:         hbaerten at luc dot ac dot be

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI
I think I found a workaround that works for me: instead of first loading a
dummy world with dummy EAI applet, just load a dummy world *without* EAI
applet.
After that, the EAI works (for me). I've done this twice, so it could still
be coincidence :)

I'll try the same with NS4.06 later.

Herbert
--
Herbert Baerten
E-mail:         hbaerten at luc dot ac dot be
Personal web:   http://www.luc.ac.be/~hbaerten/
GSM in Belgium: http://come.to/gsm.be = http://www.luc.ac.be/~hbaerten/gsm/

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> I think I found a workaround that works for me: instead of first loading a
> dummy world with dummy EAI applet, just load a dummy world *without* EAI
> applet.
> After that, the EAI works (for me). I've done this twice, so it could still
> be coincidence :)

> I'll try the same with NS4.06 later.

Hello again,

   Well, it looks like I am making some progress. I finally resolved the
ClassNotFound errors by copying /usr/CosmoPlayer/classes over
to ~/.netscape/plugins. But now I have another problem. :(

I now get the browser just fine, however, I can't do anything with it! The
first thing I do after getting it is to get a node using browser.getNode().
I then get an error from EAI saying:

java.lang.RuntimeException: External Interface could not access Browser. Try
<Shift>-Reload.

Doing <Shift>-Reload didn't work (of course). Any call to a method
in Browser generates this error! The only methods that seem to work
are getName() and getVersion(). Another odd thing is that getVersion()
is returning "1.0.2 for Irix 6.2 and Irix 6.4" even though I'm running
Cosmo 1.1 on Irix 6.5!!!

All of this happened on NS4.06 and 4.5beta1. I wanted to try this on
4.04 or 4.05 with JDK 1.1.5 support but apparently Netscape has
removed them from their ftp site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Ashfaq

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> All of this happened on NS4.06 and 4.5beta1. I wanted to try this on
> 4.04 or 4.05 with JDK 1.1.5 support but apparently Netscape has
> removed them from their ftp site.

Hi,

It's me again, taking the risk of confusing you again :)

As far as I'm told, NS4.06 will NEVER work with Cosmo 1.1 on IRIX. I'm
not sure about 4.05beta1. Reverting to 4.05 should help. You only need
to find a copy of it ...

Quote:
> Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure? :)

Quote:
> Thanks
> Ashfaq

Wilco
--
= Wilco Vertegaal                        = "A kingdom! A kingdom!     =

= homepage: http://stad.dsl.nl/~vertegaa =  -Richard III, afterwards  =

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML EAI loading problem on SGI

Quote:

> I think I found a workaround that works for me: instead of first
> *without* EAI applet.
> After that, the EAI works (for me). I've done this twice, so it could
> still be coincidence :)

Hey, I wish I had tried that before reverting to NS3!

Quote:
> I'll try the same with NS4.06 later.

As far as I know, the EAI will NOT work with NS4.06. Better stick to
NS4.05.

Quote:
> Herbert

Wilco
--
= Wilco Vertegaal                        = "A kingdom! A kingdom!     =

= homepage: http://stad.dsl.nl/~vertegaa =  -Richard III, afterwards  =

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML EAI problem on SGI

2. VRML EAI problems: Java3d solves many portabilty problems of VRML

3. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

4. EAI classes loading problem

5. Having Problems Loading GNAT on SGI

6. Cortona VRML Client 2.1 with IE4: EAI problem

7. Problem with vrml- and java-time (using EAI)

8. New VRML content at VRML.SGI.COM

9. EAI version of VRML 2.0 Tic-Tac-Toe game (VRML + Java)

10. New Cafe VRML resource section at vrml.sgi.com

11. New Cafe VRML community pages at vrml.sgi.com/ register for a link

12. vrml.eai.* vs vrml.external.*