Okay I'm really dense but....
Author Message
 Okay I'm really dense but....

Hello,

 Dumb question. I'm trying to use Lodestar to reduce polygons counts. The
suggestion has been made to use just 1 LOD to get the reduction.
 I can't make the command line work at all. I've read the docs but there is
not example.
Could someone please type in just one example of what this command line
should look like. Any typical sequence should get me on the road.
Thanks,
Frank Heflin

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Okay I'm really dense but....

Quote:

> ... I'm trying to use Lodestar to reduce polygons counts. The
> suggestion has been made to use just 1 LOD to get the reduction.
>  I can't make the command line work at all. I've read the docs but there is
> not example.
> Could someone please type in just one example of what this command line
> should look like. Any typical sequence should get me on the road.

Remember that it only works on vrml 1.0 files. Then you specify the
number of the LOD you want output with the -x parameter. Start with 1 or
2, then increase the number until you get something awful and you know
the one before that is what you want.

example: lodestar -x 2 myvrml.wrl

That'll produce "myvrml.lod.wrl" with only level 2 calculated

(There are a few sample commandlines and results on the Lodestar site
at:
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/vr/lodestar/results/index.html
Granted, these don't demonstrate exporting only a single level, but they
do show that you should put a space between an option [-x] and its
parameter [2])

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Okay I'm really dense but....
Thank you, Paul.

That's just what I needed.

Frank Heflin

Quote:

> > ... I'm trying to use Lodestar to reduce polygons counts. The
> > suggestion has been made to use just 1 LOD to get the reduction.
> >  I can't make the command line work at all. I've read the docs but there
is
> > not example.
> > Could someone please type in just one example of what this command line
> > should look like. Any typical sequence should get me on the road.

> Remember that it only works on VRML 1.0 files. Then you specify the
> number of the LOD you want output with the -x parameter. Start with 1 or
> 2, then increase the number until you get something awful and you know
> the one before that is what you want.

> example: lodestar -x 2 myvrml.wrl

> That'll produce "myvrml.lod.wrl" with only level 2 calculated

> (There are a few sample commandlines and results on the Lodestar site
> at:
> http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/vr/lodestar/results/index.html
> Granted, these don't demonstrate exporting only a single level, but they
> do show that you should put a space between an option [-x] and its
> parameter [2])

> - Paul
> ***********************************
> Paul S. Hoffman
> Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

> Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
> Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
> 609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Okay I'm really dense but....
I've tried your suggestion Paul, but still having a problem.

I have confirmed that the files I am using are V1.0

1. I type in "lodestar -x 2 gantry.wrl" from the DOS prompt from within
Windows 98 and just get the options list returned.

2. I restart 98 in the DOS mode and type the same and get a system lock up
with a Stack Exception.

Yes the files and lodestar are all in the same directory(folder).

Do I need to get another version of DOS?

I've tried this with several different 1.0 files

Quote:
> Thank you, Paul.

> That's just what I needed.

> Frank Heflin

> > > ... I'm trying to use Lodestar to reduce polygons counts. The
> > > suggestion has been made to use just 1 LOD to get the reduction.
> > >  I can't make the command line work at all. I've read the docs but
there
> is
> > > not example.
> > > Could someone please type in just one example of what this command
line
> > > should look like. Any typical sequence should get me on the road.

> > Remember that it only works on VRML 1.0 files. Then you specify the
> > number of the LOD you want output with the -x parameter. Start with 1 or
> > 2, then increase the number until you get something awful and you know
> > the one before that is what you want.

> > example: lodestar -x 2 myvrml.wrl

> > That'll produce "myvrml.lod.wrl" with only level 2 calculated

> > (There are a few sample commandlines and results on the Lodestar site
> > at:
> > http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/vr/lodestar/results/index.html
> > Granted, these don't demonstrate exporting only a single level, but they
> > do show that you should put a space between an option [-x] and its
> > parameter [2])

> > - Paul
> > ***********************************
> > Paul S. Hoffman
> > Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

> > Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
> > Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
> > 609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Okay here it goes (was help for the Dense)

2. System Bug, Or Am I Really Dense?

3. Okay, okay.

4. Okay, I'm stumped.

5. Okay, I've made progress...

6. okay, all you Tcl'ing fools...

7. Some help for the dense

8. A new method to solve the large dense linear equations

9. Public-domain dense matrix module in f90

10. Vectorized real symmetric dense matrix diagonalization subroutine

11. possible dense Q on regexp problem

12. ANNOUNCE: TkMan 2.0: dense visualization of manual pages