EAI and the Java 2 plugin
Author Message
 EAI and the Java 2 plugin

Hi all

I've read somewhere on this hallowed newsgroup that EAI applets won't
work if you've installed the Java 2 plugin. Could someone confirm this?

If I were to install the Java 2 plugin, would I be able to rollback to
using the browser's built-in VM?  I ask because I would quite like to
install it, but I don't want to run the risk of my EAI applets not
working any more.

I'm only really concerned with the situation as regards Netscape 4.x, as
I find the EAI extremely unstable when used with IE anyway, and
therefore tend not to use it for viewing EAI applets.

Apologies if this has been explained in a previous thread; rest assured
I did search the news archive for the info, but with no success.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Nick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and the Java 2 plugin
I don't know the answer for the latest Java 2 plugin but I suspect with
regard to EAI it is still broken.  I think you'll need to find out if the
latest Java 2 plugin supports Netscape LiveConnect, which facilitates
communication between plugins (e.g. vrml and Applet), at least in Netscape
the EAI is implemented on top of this.

Also you should be able to try it out and uninstall it if it doesn't work.
Be sure to post your findings...

good luck,

~~David

Quote:

> Hi all

> I've read somewhere on this hallowed newsgroup that EAI applets won't
> work if you've installed the Java 2 plugin. Could someone confirm this?

> If I were to install the Java 2 plugin, would I be able to rollback to
> using the browser's built-in VM?  I ask because I would quite like to
> install it, but I don't want to run the risk of my EAI applets not
> working any more.

> I'm only really concerned with the situation as regards Netscape 4.x, as
> I find the EAI extremely unstable when used with IE anyway, and
> therefore tend not to use it for viewing EAI applets.

> Apologies if this has been explained in a previous thread; rest assured
> I did search the news archive for the info, but with no success.

> Thanks in advance for any advice,

> Nick

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and the Java 2 plugin

I would like to hear that I'm wrong, but I've experimented with this and have
never been able to get the browser handle USING the Java2 plugin for the
browser's VM. I have however read that LiveConnect works with the Java2
plugin.

On Netscape, installing and enabling the plugin should not ( IME ) break
existing EAI apps ( that use the 'applet' tag in their HTML ). In order to
actually use the Java2 plugin, the HTML for an applet must be modified to use
the 'embed' tag rather than the 'applet' tag ( plus there are an assortment of
parameters and such that must be set up correctly ). There is a tool (
HTMLConverter ) that will do this automagically.

Bottom line - installing and enabling the plugin shouldn't cause you any
problems with your existing EAI apps. Using the plugin for EAI apps is another
( frustrating ) story.

But if anyone has gotten this to work, I'd like to see an example.

-Rex

Quote:

> I don't know the answer for the latest Java 2 plugin but I suspect with
> regard to EAI it is still broken.  I think you'll need to find out if the
> latest Java 2 plugin supports Netscape LiveConnect, which facilitates
> communication between plugins (e.g. VRML and Applet), at least in Netscape
> the EAI is implemented on top of this.

> Also you should be able to try it out and uninstall it if it doesn't work.
> Be sure to post your findings...

> good luck,

> ~~David

> > Hi all

> > I've read somewhere on this hallowed newsgroup that EAI applets won't
> > work if you've installed the Java 2 plugin. Could someone confirm this?

> > If I were to install the Java 2 plugin, would I be able to rollback to
> > using the browser's built-in VM?  I ask because I would quite like to
> > install it, but I don't want to run the risk of my EAI applets not
> > working any more.

> > I'm only really concerned with the situation as regards Netscape 4.x, as
> > I find the EAI extremely unstable when used with IE anyway, and
> > therefore tend not to use it for viewing EAI applets.

> > Apologies if this has been explained in a previous thread; rest assured
> > I did search the news archive for the info, but with no success.

> > Thanks in advance for any advice,

> > Nick

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and the Java 2 plugin
Thanks Rex and David - that told me what I needed to know!

Nick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and the Java 2 plugin
Ah-ha! This explains many SNAFUs I have been experiencing, recently. How
irritating...

How about this:
<script language="javascript">
if (navigator.appName=="Netscape") {       //NN3+ only
 java2=0;
 for (i=0;i<=navigator.plugins.length-1;i++) {
 plug=navigator.plugins[i].description;
 if (plug.indexOf("JDK/JRE")!=-1) {
  dot=plug.indexOf("."); pver=parseFloat(plug.substring(dot-1,dot+2));
  if (pver>=1.3) { java2=1; break; }
 }
 }

Quote:
}

//for this test...instead, write the APPLET (J1) or EMBED (J2) tag.
if (java2) { document.write("You are using Java2!"); } else {
document.write("You are NOT using Java2!"); }
</script>

Please note that I haven't bothered to go into the other room to turn on
my other machine and test this with Java2 installed (this one's got
1.2), so I don't know if it's strictly a plug-in problem or if the
underlying VM is actually doing the dirty deed...

James

Quote:

--
http://www.musicforhumans.com    - Music for Humans: Welcome Home -
http://www.isoc-losangeles.org   - Internet Society: Support Your Local

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Java 1.2 plugin and EAI

2. Java Plugin 1.1.2 & EAI

3. Java Plugin & EAI

4. Mixing Java EAI stuff with Java in Script nodes

5. Java Plugin 1.2 (Java 1.2)

6. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

7. IE5 and VRML2 microsoft plugin with EAI

8. EAI: Couldn't find vrml plugin...

9. EAI Java classes

10. VRML/EAI and Java

11. Animated Viewpoint with Java and EAI-Interface

12. EAI and Java apps