Routing question (not so difficult, i guess :) )
Author Message
 Routing question (not so difficult, i guess :) )

Hello,

I'm a beginning VRML97 user...

I have to make a robot in VRML97 for school, each axis has to be rotatable
by pressing a button.
I know U have to do this by using a touchsensor, (I have made six buttons: 2
for each axis - one to increase the rotation and one to decrease it...)

So you have to make a route between the output event (touchsensor I guess)
and the input event (rotate X degrees)

Now the problem is: I don't know how to do this.

A second problem for all you vrml wizards out there:

The robot has to pick up blocks... I wanted to do this by linking the blocks
to the hand with a prowimitysensor maybe? I don't know how to do it:

It has to pick up the blocks from the ground if the had reaches it, and has
to put them down again when reaching the ground?

I hope this isn't to difficult

Please help me out as soon as possible!

Thanks!

ps: I'm adding the vrml file to this message, please have a look at it!
(soory for the commants: they are in dutch)

Bye!

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Routing question (not so difficult, i guess :) )
: Hello,

: I'm a beginning VRML97 user...

: I have to make a robot in VRML97 for school, each axis has to be rotatable
: by pressing a button.

I believe most people around the comp.lang circles don't like helping
people with school assignments. Perhaps u might want to be more specific
with ur questions, eg something syntax related instead of a general
question.

: So you have to make a route between the output event (touchsensor I guess)
: and the input event (rotate X degrees)

: Now the problem is: I don't know how to do this.

First of all, get a good VRML book, I recommend the VRML Sourcebook 2.0.
Secondly, visit http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~crispen/vrmlworks/faq/index.html
which answers quite a large number of nagging VRML questions.

: A second problem for all you VRML wizards out there:

: The robot has to pick up blocks... I wanted to do this by linking the blocks
: to the hand with a prowimitysensor maybe? I don't know how to do it:

: It has to pick up the blocks from the ground if the had reaches it, and has
: to put them down again when reaching the ground?

A prox sensor is for sensing the viewer, not between objects. What
u're talking about is infinitely harder, ie collision detection. U'll
have to code this up urself.

----  WEBPAGE : http://www.{*filter*}junkie.com/arcana  UIN : 9157402  ----
------- "You and me, and you and you, simultaneously.." : Chef -------

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Routing question (not so difficult, i guess :) )

Quote:

> I have to make a robot in VRML97 for school, each axis has to be rotatable
> by pressing a button.
> I know U have to do this by using a touchsensor, (I have made six buttons: 2
> for each axis - one to increase the rotation and one to decrease it...)

> So you have to make a route between the output event (touchsensor I guess)
> and the input event (rotate X degrees)

> Now the problem is: I don't know how to do this.

With a ROUTE statement.  Read the spec, or get a VRML book.

Quote:
> A second problem for all you VRML wizards out there:

> The robot has to pick up blocks... I wanted to do this by linking the blocks
> to the hand with a prowimitysensor maybe? I don't know how to do it:

> It has to pick up the blocks from the ground if the had reaches it, and has
> to put them down again when reaching the ground?

> I hope this isn't to difficult

Actually, it is fairly difficult.  First, since you didn't mention
this, I can only hope that you've got a proper hierarchy for the
robot's limbs.  It takes some thought to puzzle out, but if the
robot's shoulder joint moves, you want the upper arm, the forearm,
the hand, and all the fingers to follow along.  You customarily
do this by nesting transforms so that the forearm is a child of
the upper arm, and so on.

Second, you'll need to do a fairly advanced thing: remove the
block from the scene graph where it was before you picked it up and
place it into the hierarchy of the robot body below the fingers.
The alternative, moving the block separately so that it's in sync
with the position and orientation of the fingers, is much more
difficult and runs into problems (e.g., gimbal lock, inversions
as you pass over zeros) that are best avoided altogether.

You absolutely need to read a good VRML book to discover how to
do these things, and you have to be very familiar with the VRML
spec.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/ can get you started
in finding the lay of the land you're about to explore.
--
Bob & Kelly Crispen

A polar bear is just a rectangular bear in a different coordinate system.

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie question, I guess.

2. Pretty mundane question I guess: DLL blues

3. More difficult F-PC assembler question

4. Difficult timing question

5. debuger question (very difficult)

6. Very difficult aliasing question

7. Difficult Sockets Question

8. A difficult question about implementing object security and access

9. ROUTE question

10. button question (not a beginner question?)

11. Need INC,CLW File... I guess

12. I guess it's a bug? CW4