Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall
Author Message
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall

Hi if I had a wall and I want to knock a window (or a hole) in it, how do I
do it? I've studied the Floppy's vrml tutorial but it never mentioned
anything about that... or am I supposed to create a block that penetrates
the wall and make it solid FALSE with 100% transparency?

Thanks, Jules

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:33:51 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall

Quote:
> Hi if I had a wall and I want to knock a window (or a hole) in it, how do I
> do it?

I would use a 3D Modeller which can do boolean operations.

AOI (Art of Illusion) is a example of a free java based modeller, that can
do boolean operations: http://www.artofillusion.org/

so long
MUFTI
--
Die 47800 ueblich-Beschluss-Fotos wollen pixelate leichter
als die 5400 Hallo-Beschluss-Fotos.

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:48:15 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:48:15 +0000 (UTC), Joerg Scheurich aka MUFTI

Quote:

>> Hi if I had a wall and I want to knock a window (or a hole) in it, how do I
>> do it?

>I would use a 3D Modeller which can do boolean operations.

If I had any sense, so would I. But I tend to find that it's faster to
knock out a quick IndexedFaceSet in Notepad than to load and learn a 3D
modeller.

Try hand-coding an IFS, if only for the learning experience.

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 03:03:46 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall

Quote:
>>I would use a 3D Modeller which can do boolean operations.
> If I had any sense, so would I. But I tend to find that it's faster to
> knock out a quick IndexedFaceSet in Notepad than to load and learn a 3D
> modeller.
> Try hand-coding an IFS, if only for the learning experience.

For the learning experience, i already hand-coded an IFS.

But even for a simple cube (with texture-coorinates), i was forced to
build 2 paper models of it 8-)

For me, it is very faster to build a IFS by learning a simple 3D modeller
or via a gawk, perl, whatever script.

There are really simple 3D modellers outside, not all 3D modellers are
icons/menu graves like maya or blender 8-)

so long
MUFTI
--
Pers?nlicher Benutzer - fr den einzelnen Benutzer hing der
Wunsch des kompakten, hohen Klarheit Kopfes SVGA-Bildschirmanzeigen

Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:07:17 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall
I was thinking to build a model of my flat (school project), should I create
a floorplan with x-section coords marking out the walls inc thickness or the
walls, then use extrusion to bring it up to 2.3m tall. Problem is I'd have
to 'knock' holes in the walls for windows and doors later on... is there no
easy way then? I need to code generate it (any lang) but can't use GUI 3D
Modeller, that's why I'm trying to know the VRML code behind it all. So
there's no VRML code to cut holes then? I'd have to do an IFS then? Right
now I'm building the left and right walls and the top and bottom walls of
the window and then fill the hole with a transparent box. What if I wanted
to do a window with an arc as the top edge? How to go about that?

Sorry for my inexperience.

Thanks, Jules

--
***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***

Quote:
> >>I would use a 3D Modeller which can do boolean operations.

> > If I had any sense, so would I. But I tend to find that it's faster to
> > knock out a quick IndexedFaceSet in Notepad than to load and learn a 3D
> > modeller.

> > Try hand-coding an IFS, if only for the learning experience.

> For the learning experience, i already hand-coded an IFS.

> But even for a simple cube (with texture-coorinates), i was forced to
> build 2 paper models of it 8-)

> For me, it is very faster to build a IFS by learning a simple 3D modeller
> or via a gawk, perl, whatever script.

> There are really simple 3D modellers outside, not all 3D modellers are
> icons/menu graves like maya or blender 8-)

> so long
> MUFTI
> --
> Pers?nlicher Benutzer - fr den einzelnen Benutzer hing der
> Wunsch des kompakten, hohen Klarheit Kopfes SVGA-Bildschirmanzeigen
>                                (aus einer Webseite fuer einen 3D

Datenhelm)

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:44:25 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall
Ignoring animations and script nodes for the moment, it may be useful to
think of VRML as a format for describing the static things that exist in
your world.  It is not a process language, so there aren't commands, and
therefore it can't "cut" anything (there's no "cut" command with a parameter
defining the window).  That's why there are 3D modeling tools with commands
to develop the world, which is then expressed in static VRML.  You can
define a solid to cut out of something already there.  The resulting VRML
code will be an indexed face set.  For your arched window top, it would end
up being coded as a series of line segments approximating the arc.  (I think
some VRML viewers support an extension with curve definitions, but that's
not part of the VRML standard).  So, if you're not able or willing to use a
modeler, you're doing it right the way you're doing it with IFS.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
> I was thinking to build a model of my flat (school project), should I
create
> a floorplan with x-section coords marking out the walls inc thickness or
the
> walls, then use extrusion to bring it up to 2.3m tall. Problem is I'd have
> to 'knock' holes in the walls for windows and doors later on... is there
no
> easy way then? I need to code generate it (any lang) but can't use GUI 3D
> Modeller, that's why I'm trying to know the VRML code behind it all. So
> there's no VRML code to cut holes then? I'd have to do an IFS then? Right
> now I'm building the left and right walls and the top and bottom walls of
> the window and then fill the hole with a transparent box. What if I wanted
> to do a window with an arc as the top edge? How to go about that?

> Sorry for my inexperience.

> Thanks, Jules

> --
> ***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***

> > > If I had any sense, so would I. But I tend to find that it's faster to
> > > knock out a quick IndexedFaceSet in Notepad than to load and learn a
3D
> > > modeller.

> > > Try hand-coding an IFS, if only for the learning experience.

> > For the learning experience, i already hand-coded an IFS.

> > But even for a simple cube (with texture-coorinates), i was forced to
> > build 2 paper models of it 8-)

> > For me, it is very faster to build a IFS by learning a simple 3D
modeller
> > or via a gawk, perl, whatever script.

> > There are really simple 3D modellers outside, not all 3D modellers are
> > icons/menu graves like maya or blender 8-)

> > so long
> > MUFTI
> > --
> > Pers?nlicher Benutzer - fr den einzelnen Benutzer hing der
> > Wunsch des kompakten, hohen Klarheit Kopfes SVGA-Bildschirmanzeigen
> >                                (aus einer Webseite fuer einen 3D
> Datenhelm)

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:21:34 GMT
 Newbie: Create a window/door/hole in a solid wall

Quote:
> to 'knock' holes in the walls for windows and doors later on... is there no
> easy way then?

No, VRML97 itself do not support boolean modelling for primitives or IFS.

VRML200x/X3D supports cutting hole into NurbsSurfaces via the TrimmedSurface
node, but according to the introdution for "The NURBS Book"
NURBS stands for "Nobody Understands non uniform Rational B-Splines" 8-)

Good look, if you want build NurbsSurfaces without a modeller...

so long
MUFTI
--
Beim Lesen Ihrer Erinnerungen ist ein Problem aufgetreten.
                     (Fehlermeldung von Micro$oft outlook)

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:18:59 GMT

1. Practical room modeling of walls with holes?

2. Practical room modeling of walls with holes?

3. solid walls?

4. VRML newbie (How to have holes)

5. Sockets - newbie at a brick wall

6. newbie help- creating windows "extension" dll

7. Windows 2000 security hole

8. SOLID WINDOWS

9. Solid Windows

10. Solid Windows