shadow
Author Message
 shadow

Quote:
> Is there any reason not to render shadows except for the speed?

thats about it, but more complex (and slower) processes, such as shadows,
come at a cost in programming as well, it would make the vrml viewer much
more complex than nescessary.
there are no VRML viewers that support shadows to my knowledge. although you
can 'fudge' basic shadows using Script nodes and dynamically created
semi-transparent polygons.
db

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:06:18 GMT
 shadow

Quote:
> > Is there any reason not to render shadows except for the speed?
> thats about it, but more complex (and slower) processes, such as shadows,
> come at a cost in programming as well, it would make the VRML viewer much
> more complex than nescessary.

In my opinnion shadows are very important in order to achieve the realism
that a 3d world is all about. I agree that the vrml-viewer would be more
complex, but not "more complex than nescessary".

Nikolaj

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:53:25 GMT
 shadow

Quote:

> In my opinnion shadows are very important in order to achieve the realism
> that a 3d world is all about. I agree that the vrml-viewer would be more
> complex, but not "more complex than nescessary".

many/most of the applications for VRML on the web aren't to represent
realistic scenes, but are for games, scientific analysis, among other
applications.
its just not possible to aim for 'realism' in a format such as VRML, there
are big programs like 3d Studio Max for those that want to create realistic
3d scenes.
db

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:02:07 GMT
 shadow
You have to realise that the realism you refering to is usually done in non
real time with techniques like ray tracing. Unless you dispose of supercomputer
(and even though), it cant be done in real time. Some simulation of shadow can
be done but still involve tremendous computation not in the reach of average
current machine. If you think of games, those usually use fake pre computed in
a very well defined controlled environment - nothing like the general arbitray
case you find in vrml. So yes, it is more complex than neccessary...

Sylvain Carette
VRML designer-composer

Quote:

> > > Is there any reason not to render shadows except for the speed?

> > thats about it, but more complex (and slower) processes, such as shadows,
> > come at a cost in programming as well, it would make the VRML viewer much
> > more complex than nescessary.

> In my opinnion shadows are very important in order to achieve the realism
> that a 3d world is all about. I agree that the vrml-viewer would be more
> complex, but not "more complex than nescessary".

> Nikolaj

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:33:51 GMT
 shadow
I'm way out of my league here, but is this still true with, for example, some of
the latest high-speed graphics cards?  Not full ray tracing and shadows for
everything, but the ability to selectively do real-time shadows and maybe even
reflections?  I see claims for shadow and reflection support in blurbs to new
cards.  Is the technology sufficiently advanced that it would be useful to add
shadow support to an updated VRML standard?
Quote:

> You have to realise that the realism you refering to is usually done in non
> real time with techniques like ray tracing. Unless you dispose of supercomputer
> (and even though), it cant be done in real time. Some simulation of shadow can
> be done but still involve tremendous computation not in the reach of average
> current machine. If you think of games, those usually use fake pre computed in
> a very well defined controlled environment - nothing like the general arbitray
> case you find in vrml. So yes, it is more complex than neccessary...

> Sylvain Carette
> VRML designer-composer

> > > thats about it, but more complex (and slower) processes, such as shadows,
> > > come at a cost in programming as well, it would make the VRML viewer much
> > > more complex than nescessary.

> > In my opinnion shadows are very important in order to achieve the realism
> > that a 3d world is all about. I agree that the vrml-viewer would be more
> > complex, but not "more complex than nescessary".

> > Nikolaj

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:12:15 GMT
 shadow

Quote:
> I'm way out of my league here, but is this still true with, for example,
some of
> the latest high-speed graphics cards?  Not full ray tracing and shadows
for
> everything, but the ability to selectively do real-time shadows and maybe
even
> reflections?  I see claims for shadow and reflection support in blurbs to
new
> cards.  Is the technology sufficiently advanced that it would be useful to
add
> shadow support to an updated VRML standard?

its interesting to hear of cards that have such support, i haven't read
about any personally. But VRML is still designed for the 'average user', and
as sylvain noted, VRML is not designed for realism. It wouldn't be bad to
have some sort of extension to VRML, maybe if a VRML plugin were to support
it using the current VRML language, so that it was backwards compatible.
db

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:19:07 GMT

1. BLT treeview's -shadow option: Fatal error when -shadow {}

2. popupmenu shadows persist in tabpanel

3. doing shadowed fonts

4. Putting a Shadow on Form

5. Box shadows - suggestions/help needed

6. shadow screens

7. Making box shadow in menu system in Clipper 5.3a/b

8. Shadow in 5.3a Graphics Mode

9. Shadow with 5.3

10. Screen Shadows

11. Clipper 5.3 Shadow Problems