Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ
Author Message
 Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ

A couple of months ago, someone had posted a link to a FAQ (Bob Crispin
maybe?) which went into a fair amount of detail on how to build a
directory structure to manage the installation of multiple vrml browser
plugins on the same browser (Netcape in particular).

The information seemed fairly logical, but just complex enough that I
don't quite recall the main jist of the approach off-hand.  Of course, I
filed away the information somewhere, and now that I seem to need it, I
can't rememorize where I put it. Does anyone recall seeing this how-to
and/or know where I might find it?

Thanks!
-dpm

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ

Quote:

> A couple of months ago, someone had posted a link to a FAQ (Bob Crispin
> maybe?) which went into a fair amount of detail on how to build a
> directory structure to manage the installation of multiple vrml browser
> plugins on the same browser (Netcape in particular).

It's a little bit out of date nowadays, unless you're using
Netscape Navigator 3.  The main difference is that Cosmo
Player now puts its java classes in the plugins directory
and they don't conflict with other browsers.

The URL is: http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/multi_plugin.html
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

Music shouldn't be held responsible for the people who listen to it.

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ

Actually, the reason I asked was because I've recently had to migrate back to
a different system which had some VRML problems earlier this spring that I
assume were related to multiple browsers, but at the time, I was fortunate
enough to have another system to use for VRML development, so like many lower
priority problems, I never quite resolved this one.  Of course, my situation
has now changed and I need to get this system working in order to continue to
develop vrml programs...

The problem is that I can no longer run Cosmo player (consistently anyway)
either v2.0 or v2.1 with Netscape Communicator v4.04.  Most vrml internet
sites seem to load OK, but the problem only seems to occur when I attempt to
load a local vrml file, such as the Cosmo Player Chomp example program.  This
problem makes it a little difficult to do any sort of [local] development,
although I suppose the workaround would be to edit files on a remote system's
website or something like that.

The error message is "Error Loading Blaxun CC3d."  Now, I thought I had
completely removed the Blaxun plugin from my system a while ago, but
apparently there are still some bits flipped here and there associating *.wrl
files to the CCD3 plugin somewhere.  Oddly, enough, there doesn't seem to be
any sort of Windows filetype associated with "*.wrl" files, nor do there
appear to be any obvious suspects in my Netscape settings.  My Netscape
Preferences-> Navigator-> Applications list lists a "VRML World" Description
with "Extension:" set to "WRL WRZ", "MIME Type:" set to "model/vrml", and
"Handled By:" set to "Plugin".  Looking in my Program Files-> Netscape ->
Communicator-> Program-> Plugins directory, I don't see anything obviously
related to the [supposedly since removed] Blaxun plugin, unless it might be
hiding in a directory called "InterVU" or "MPlayer".  I am not real sure what
these plugins are anymore, but I hesitate to remove them.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
-dpm

Quote:

> > A couple of months ago, someone had posted a link to a FAQ (Bob Crispin
> > maybe?) which went into a fair amount of detail on how to build a
> > directory structure to manage the installation of multiple vrml browser
> > plugins on the same browser (Netcape in particular).

> It's a little bit out of date nowadays, unless you're using
> Netscape Navigator 3.  The main difference is that Cosmo
> Player now puts its java classes in the plugins directory
> and they don't conflict with other browsers.

> The URL is: http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/multi_plugin.html
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

> Music shouldn't be held responsible for the people who listen to it.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ

I seem to have fixed this problem.  Apparently the vrml problem was due to a
large quantity of apparently stray Netscape plugin parts (miscellaneous jar, dll,
and class files) which were still lying around in my Program Files-> Netscape ->
Communicator-> Program-> Plugins directory.  I noticed a large quantity of old
Plugins still showing up in the Help-> About Plugins list, so this prompted me to
take a closer look at the Netscape directory structure.

Some of these stray files were apparently Blaxun-related which caused problems
since I had previously attempted to remove Blaxun by hand (and had obviously
missed a few things).  I moved all files (other than npcosmop21.jar and
npcosmop21.dll) out of this directory and Chomp now works.   In the process, I
probably broke a few other valid plugins, but I figure I'll fix them as needed.

Quote:

> [...]

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need location of multiple vrml plugin FAQ

Quote:

> The problem is that I can no longer run Cosmo player (consistently anyway)
> either v2.0 or v2.1 with Netscape Communicator v4.04.  Most vrml internet
> sites seem to load OK, but the problem only seems to occur when I attempt to
> load a local vrml file, such as the Cosmo Player Chomp example program.  This
> problem makes it a little difficult to do any sort of [local] development,
> although I suppose the workaround would be to edit files on a remote system's
> website or something like that.

> The error message is "Error Loading Blaxun CC3d."  Now, I thought I had
> completely removed the Blaxun plugin from my system a while ago, but
> apparently there are still some bits flipped here and there associating *.wrl

That one sounds like a Registry problem.  Back up your
Registry then try regedit.exe.

Look for ".wrl" in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  Open the little folder
and you should see:

        (Default) "something"

Scroll down some and look for "something" -- whatever it is
on your system (perhaps "wrlfile").

Expand the folder by "something" and expand "Shell", expand
"open" and look under "command".  You should see the path
to Netscape Navigator.

If any of those little folders is missing, I'd download
another version of Cosmo Player, uninstall the old one,
and reinstall.  That's much safer than trying to create
classes by hand.

You might also want to download Netscape Navigator 4.05
since I believe there's a version that comes with Cosmo
Player pre-installed, and there's a couple of bug fixes
in it including, I dimly recall, a patch for a security
hole.

BTW, after all my installing and uninstalling I seem to
have three classes for VRML files, two of them unused,
but it still seems to work OK.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

Music shouldn't be held responsible for the people who listen to it.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. In need of a VRML plugin or viewer

2. Need location of FAQ!

3. Multiple Locations for Data