from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar
Author Message
 from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

 This is my first vrml EAI ( Java control of your VRML plug in )
character.

  It's a 3d Girl and you can move her arms and legs with four slider
controls.

          http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/vrml_avatar.html

  There are just four joints, one per limb, and the rotations are limited
to one plane.

  But it's just day one and more joints and stuff will be added soon.

  > > >  NOTE :  With  _ Netscape _   you may have to do a reload or two (
Control - R ) ?

   > > I just discovered that,  it worked perfectly without reloads until I
uploaded it ...

   I'll try to fix that ...

  For this to work you need a VRML plug-in viewer and a Java enabled
browser.

   ... and a prayer ...

  Developed on Windows95 with Cosmo 2.1, tested with Netscape and MiSE.

  I   _ hope _  it will work on all platforms and combinations of
everything ...

   but don't bet on it.

  Pure Java : ( "Ally McBeal : Stick Figure Animation ) :  2d animation, 8
joints.

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/character_animation.html
        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/java3dviewer.html

 "Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~imaging/contents.html

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar
Hi Paul,

Slick looking Java controls; very intelligible layout!

But is there supposed to be a VRML girl here somewhere?

I don't know much about EAI and Java, so I just figured that there would be
a VRML program (the girl) and a java program (something.class).

But no model of a girl of any description appeared in the leftmost window.
So I checked your HTML code and the only *.wrl file referenced there
(root.wrl) just established a Viewpoint and Background - the Root Group{} is
empty.

Will you explain the basic arrangement of your program to a newbie, please?
(Is the girl-model generated after startup by the Java program, for
example?) I have so much to learn!

All I see at present is the controls, your text, and an empty, powder-blue
box.

Gracias!

Bob Greer

Quote:

> This is my first VRML EAI ( Java control of your VRML plug in )
>character.

>  It's a 3d Girl and you can move her arms and legs with four slider
>controls.

>   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_avatar.html

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

Quote:
> > my first VRML EAI ( Java controls your VRML plug in ) character.

> >  It's a 3d Girl and you can move her limbs with four slider controls.

        http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/vrml_avatar.html

 It's new and buggy :

  --  Netscape 4.5, Cosmo 2.1, Windows95 : Ok

  --  MiSE, " "       : problems ( on-line, it was fine off the net )

  --  everything else :  dunno

  I'm working on  it.

 - - - - - -

  Below are EAI examples on the net, including :

  - an industrial robot arm that you can control ( about five joints )

  - a VRML scene where you can ADD, Move, Rotate, & Color Vrml primitives

  Try these :

        http://saber.engineer.gvsu.edu/robot/SeikoVRML/

                ( Netscape ok, MiSE : no - go     --  the above --  ).

        http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/tiny3D-2/tiny3D-2.html

            Java source included :
                http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/examples/eai/tiny3D-2/

 - - -

   For added flexibility usually an empty "root" scene is first loaded and
then the target VRML objects are loaded :  this allows the _USER_ to
interactively CHANGE / ADD / REMOVE objects.

- - - -

  For it work the VRML plug-in, and the Java applet, and the two VRML
scenes must be loaded, and they programs must synchronize and communicate
back and forth, and there's a lot of things that go wrong ...  but when
everything works ... it's pretty neat ...

- - - -

  I'll be adding info, links to other examples & resources.

Something of mine that's more reliable ( human animation  )  :

  "Ally McBeal : Stick Figure Animation"  ( 2d, 8 joints, zoom & rotate )
Pure Java.

   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/character_animation.html

Quote:

> Slick looking Java controls; very intelligible layout!

> But is there supposed to be a VRML girl here somewhere?

> I don't know much about EAI and Java, so I just figured that there would
be
> a VRML program (the girl) and a java program (something.class).

> But no model of a girl of any description appeared in the leftmost
window.
> So I checked your HTML code and the only *.wrl file referenced there
> (root.wrl) just established a Viewpoint and Background - the Root Group{}
is
> empty.

> Will you explain the basic arrangement of your program to a newbie,
please?
> (Is the girl-model generated after startup by the Java program, for
> example?) I have so much to learn!

> All I see at present is the controls, your text, and an empty,
powder-blue
> box.

> Gracias!

> Bob Greer

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. EAI version of VRML 2.0 Tic-Tac-Toe game (VRML + Java)

2. VRML in Java vs Java in VRML

3. VRML EAI problems: Java3d solves many portabilty problems of VRML

4. vrml.eai.* vs vrml.external.*

5. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

6. IT-VRML: first Italian Vrml conference

7. NEW: VRML Harmonium - First VRML 2.0 Musical Instrument

8. IE6 +VRML + javascript in VRML trouble (was: problem using javascript window.open in VRML)

9. YOU control human Avatar on the Web : VRML, Java, H-Anim

10. vrml-java-generated vrml

11. VRML/java scripting example and vrml.* packages