Command line converter vrml97 -> POV-Ray 
Author Message
 Command line converter vrml97 -> POV-Ray

Hi,

I am looking for a command line program (for Windows) to convert
VRML97 files to POV-Ray.

Any suggestions?



Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:34:33 GMT  
 Command line converter vrml97 -> POV-Ray



Quote:
> Hi,

> I am looking for a command line program (for Windows) to convert
> VRML97 files to POV-Ray.

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/paul/vrml2pov/

leaps to mind, but it's a bit old and the author doesn't seem to be
improving or maintaining it.

also,

http://home.europa.com/~keithr/Crossroads/

but I don't think it runs on the command line.  If neither of those is
sufficient, see what you can find in the Web3d repository:

http://www.web3d.org/vrml/vrml.htm

--Steve



Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:50:29 GMT  
 Command line converter vrml97 -> POV-Ray
I should pointout you will need a copy of POV-Ray for some of the common
materials used are refered to in files. For instance "metals.inc" etc. copy
these files to the same directory.


Quote:



> > Hi,

> > I am looking for a command line program (for Windows) to convert
> > VRML97 files to POV-Ray.

> http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/paul/vrml2pov/

> leaps to mind, but it's a bit old and the author doesn't seem to be
> improving or maintaining it.

> also,

> http://home.europa.com/~keithr/Crossroads/

> but I don't think it runs on the command line.  If neither of those is
> sufficient, see what you can find in the Web3d repository:

Actually runs in windows can read .pov and .inc files but you need to rename
the first/main .pov file to .inc as it doesn't have the extension in the
open option. Also hasn't been updated by the author.

Pov ray files are in a text based language like vrml so you could always
copy the data across by hand.

Paul Aslin
http://members.nbci.com/vrmlworld/



Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:22:18 GMT  
 Command line converter vrml97 -> POV-Ray

on 19 Apr 2001:

Quote:
>I should pointout you will need a copy of POV-Ray for some of the
>common materials used are refered to in files. For instance
>"metals.inc" etc. copy these files to the same directory.

Actually, the default installation for POVRay puts metals.inc, etc. in
the include path.

Weird -- I didn't think vrml2pov used any textures at all.  I usually
hack the file vrml2pov outputs, something like this:

#declare Kelly=union {
  mesh {
    smooth_triangle {
      <1.52778,0,0.16623>, <0.99628,0,-0.0861726>,
      <1.5242,0,0.12484>, <0.960712,0,-0.250723>,
      <1.5242,0.1,0.12484>, <0.978496,0,-0.168448>
    ...
    matrix <1,0,0,0,-0.000203673,1,0,-1,-0.000203673,0.69444,0.06044,0>
    texture { My_Texture }
  }

Quote:
}

I put that in a file called whatever.inc, and then in the main file:

#declare My_Texture=texture { Brass_Bed1 }
// Brass_Bed1 is declared somewhere else, I think ken_tex.inc,
// one of Ken Tyler's splendid contributions.  Another favorite
// color of mine is Gilles Tran's cuivre which looks *exactly*
// like a copper water pipe.  Yum!
#include "whatever.inc"
object { Kelly rotate <35,0,0> scale <10,8,3> translate <0,-2,0> }

I think you might be happier with vrml2pov than Crossroads.  Crossroads
outputs POVRay 2, which sometimes has to be hacked pretty seriously to
work in, e.g., MegaPOV.  I dimly recall that POVRay 2 lacked
smooth_triangles, for instance.

It also helps the translation immensely if you set your VRML modeler to
output IFSs as all triangles.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Never attribute to malloc that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity. - Joerg Pommnitz



Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:36:57 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. new VRML97 C++ parser (and converter into POV-Ray) now available

2. How to convert from VRML to POV-Ray?

3. POV-Ray to WLD/VRML

4. STRUVIR: HTML tutorial + POV-Ray added

5. POV 2 VRML 1.0 Converter

6. Pov-Ray to VRML Converters for OS/2 (or DOS)?

7. VRML->POV

8. LOGO-L> Re: Using Command Line Options

9. LOGO-L> Re: Using Command Line Options

10. LOGO-L> Using Command Line Options

11. Command-line arguments with scheme->c?

12. error > at the command line

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software