CAD-vrml start me up... please...
Author Message
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

Hello...

I find I am now tasked to do some work w/ vrml.
I have never done this.

May I ask if somone can start me up by doing the following?

I have a vrml file of a CAD model.
Call it: tom.vrml

OK... can someone send me a web page template (temp.html)  that, when
called, will bring
up that vrml window (with the driver wheels at the bottom) that can be
used to view the
object.

And... if you can make it such that when I click on the object...
something... anything happens:
Say, it could print out: "Tom... Read the F man page".

[Seeing this start up will help me put vrml in context to be sure this
is the way to go...]

Thank you... I kn ow this is a lot to ask...

Tom

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...
Sounds interesting; what's it worth to you, friend?

Got chewing gum, nylon stockings or travelers' checks?   The keys to papa's
Porsche?

EZ-Rates, discrete service.

Quote:

>Hello...

>I find I am now tasked to do some work w/ vrml.
>I have never done this.

>May I ask if somone can start me up by doing the following?

>I have a vrml file of a CAD model.
>Call it: tom.vrml

>OK... can someone send me a web page template (temp.html)  that, when
>called, will bring
>up that vrml window (with the driver wheels at the bottom) that can be
>used to view the
>object.

>And... if you can make it such that when I click on the object...
>something... anything happens:
>Say, it could print out: "Tom... Read the F man page".

>[Seeing this start up will help me put vrml in context to be sure this
>is the way to go...]

>Thank you... I kn ow this is a lot to ask...

>Tom

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

Quote:

> Sounds interesting; what's it worth to you, friend?

> Got chewing gum, nylon stockings or travelers' checks?   The keys to papa's
> Porsche?

> EZ-Rates, discrete service.

Bob, are you being facetious?  If so... OK.. .please tell me.

Your answer suggests that what I ask if MAJOR WORK.

If that is the case, please tell me as it will put my understanding (or lack)
of VRML in
perspective.

I asked that question cause I thought it was VERY VERY EASY and that vrml was
something
much much more.

Please let me know.

(can you suggest a book to get started to do as I describe?)
tom

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

First, you need to download the specs:
 www.vrml.org: VRML Specifications
and for more details and insights:
 The Annotated VRML97 Reference Manual
and the incontournable Bob Crispen pages where you'll find a faq, sample, tools,
links, even jokes...
 The VRMLworks
Look for example in the faq; yes, what you asked is easy so dont worry...

Sylvain Carette
VRML designer-composer

Quote:

> > Sounds interesting; what's it worth to you, friend?

> > Got chewing gum, nylon stockings or travelers' checks?   The keys to papa's
> > Porsche?

> > EZ-Rates, discrete service.

> Bob, are you being facetious?  If so... OK.. .please tell me.

> Your answer suggests that what I ask if MAJOR WORK.

> If that is the case, please tell me as it will put my understanding (or lack)
> of VRML in
> perspective.

> I asked that question cause I thought it was VERY VERY EASY and that vrml was
> something
> much much more.

> Please let me know.

> (can you suggest a book to get started to do as I describe?)
> tom

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

Might be easy, might not.

First, he wants a "web page template" - whatever that is.

Second, he want a VRML window with "driver wheels at the bottom" - maybe he'll be need to use EAI and Java for this?  Never says if the wheels are in the VRML world (at the bottom, like a heads-up display) or if he wants Java work done (and, if so, what sort of "wheel" control is involved - a custom job, Swing or what?)

Third, he wants to print things: again, Java.

All this uncertainty because... he won't surf for a few examples.

Really, what with reading the Specs. and so on as you recommend,  the project could easily require months for him to complete, with many false trails blazed and abandoned.

He should either: pay a pro the $150 an hour to do the job right (including figuring out what he thinks he wants) or he should surf for examples.  With a few of those, he can perhaps ask an intelligent question about his problem.

Really, he just wants to know if VRML is a valid, manageable solution to a vague need.  If he looks at VRML worlds on the web, he'll rapidly find out if VRML is what he want.

Of course, that will involve "effort" and "thinking."  I think he should just pay-through-the-nose and save himself a lot of cortex-wrinkling trouble.

    First, you need to download the specs:
     www.vrml.org: VRML Specifications
    and for more details and insights:
     The Annotated VRML97 Reference Manual
    and the incontournable Bob Crispen pages where you'll find a faq, sample, tools, links, even jokes...
     The VRMLworks
    Look for example in the faq; yes, what you asked is easy so dont worry...
    Sylvain Carette
    VRML designer-composer

        > Sounds interesting; what's it worth to you, friend?
        >
        > Got chewing gum, nylon stockings or travelers' checks?   The keys to papa's
        > Porsche?
        >
        > EZ-Rates, discrete service.

        Bob, are you being facetious?  If so... OK.. .please tell me.

        Your answer suggests that what I ask if MAJOR WORK.

        If that is the case, please tell me as it will put my understanding (or lack)
        of VRML in
        perspective.

        I asked that question cause I thought it was VERY VERY EASY and that vrml was
        something
        much much more.

        Please let me know.

        (can you suggest a book to get started to do as I describe?)
        tom

Sun, 13 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

Quote:
> Hello...

> I find I am now tasked to do some work w/ vrml.
> I have never done this.

> May I ask if somone can start me up by doing the following?

> I have a vrml file of a CAD model.
> Call it: tom.vrml

> OK... can someone send me a web page template (temp.html)  that, when
> called, will bring
> up that vrml window (with the driver wheels at the bottom) that can be
> used to view the
> object.

Hi Tom,

I was in the same situation. I downloaded a demo of ACADVRML to export an
AutoCAD model to VRML. I used it to show the interior of a company building
on the web (http://www.blom.com/edu/rijnsb9.htm). That's how my interest for
VRML started. Off course, initially the building was colourless and didn't
have any interaction (not even doors or windows).
Later I saw Floppy's VRML guide and learned VRML (took me about two weeks).
Then I decided to translate my homepage to VRML... So please enter
http://huizen.dds.nl/~w-p/gyrodrom.wrl, enter the library and read Floppy's
VRML guide!

Best regards,
     Willem Bogaerts

   ____                __      ____                 _
  (_   \  ___   ___/__/ /     (  _ \ _____  ___    (_)__
   / /\ \/ _ \ / _ \_  __)    / /_) ) __  )/ _ \  / / __)
 _/ /__) )(_) ) / \ \ (_     / ____/ (_/ // / \ \/ / (_
(_______/\___/_/  /_/\__)   (_/     \____)_/  /_/_/ \__)

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...
Hello Willem,
 Where do I find this animal ACADVRML?
Thanks,
Frank Heflin

Quote:
> Hi Tom,

> I was in the same situation. I downloaded a demo of ACADVRML to export an
> AutoCAD model to VRML. I used it to show the interior of a company
building
> on the web (http://www.blom.com/edu/rijnsb9.htm). That's how my interest
for
> VRML started> Then I decided to translate my homepage to VRML... So please
enter
> http://huizen.dds.nl/~w-p/gyrodrom.wrl, enter the library and read
Floppy's
> VRML guide!

> Best regards,
>      Willem Bogaerts

>    ____                __      ____                 _
>   (_   \  ___   ___/__/ /     (  _ \ _____  ___    (_)__
>    / /\ \/ _ \ / _ \_  __)    / /_) ) __  )/ _ \  / / __)
>  _/ /__) )(_) ) / \ \ (_     / ____/ (_/ // / \ \/ / (_
> (_______/\___/_/  /_/\__)   (_/     \____)_/  /_/_/ \__)

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CAD-vrml start me up... please...

Quote:
> Hello Willem,
>  Where do I find this animal ACADVRML?
> Thanks,
> Frank Heflin

http://www.cadstudio.cz/vrmlout.htm

Best regards,
     Willem Bogaerts

   ____                __      ____                 _
  (_   \  ___   ___/__/ /     (  _ \ _____  ___    (_)__
   / /\ \/ _ \ / _ \_  __)    / /_) ) __  )/ _ \  / / __)
 _/ /__) )(_) ) / \ \ (_     / ____/ (_/ // / \ \/ / (_
(_______/\___/_/  /_/\__)   (_/     \____)_/  /_/_/ \__)

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mark-ups on VRML files??