Direct3D rendering limitations?
Author Message
 Direct3D rendering limitations?

Greetings!  I've recently been experimenting with transparency
and the ".png" image format for texturing in VRML, and have run
across an anomaly in the rendering -- the Direct3D rendering
option on CosmoPlayer 2.1 can't seem to handle partial
transparency, but software rendering can do it just fine.
I poked around the FAQ's but couldn't find any mention of this.

  Is this a known limitation of the browser, or is my system
misconfigured in some way?  It's Windows 95 OSR2, DirectX 6.0,
Netscape 4.05, and CosmoPlayer 2.1; Hardware is a Pentium MMX,
video accelerator is Diamond Stealth S220 (Rendition Verite
chipset.)

ObContribution:  Check out my vrml four-function calculator
at < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~are494/fourcalc.wrl>.

                                -- Andrew Reid

Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Direct3D rendering limitations?
You might check the release and bug notes packed with Cosmo.

As I _recall_ both Cosmo and WorldView notes say that the _partial
transparency_ differs greatly from one video card to another.

I suggest you take a look at your hardware and try your code on other
machines with different (preferably newer) 3D-accelerator cards.

And yes, Cosmo's partial transparency works pretty well with my "generic"
(whatever that means) unaccelerated video card.

-  Bob Greer

Quote:
>Greetings!  I've recently been experimenting with transparency
>and the ".png" image format for texturing in VRML, and have run
>across an anomaly in the rendering -- the Direct3D rendering
>option on CosmoPlayer 2.1 can't seem to handle partial
>transparency, but software rendering can do it just fine.
>I poked around the FAQ's but couldn't find any mention of this.

>  Is this a known limitation of the browser, or is my system
>misconfigured in some way?  It's Windows 95 OSR2, DirectX 6.0,
>Netscape 4.05, and CosmoPlayer 2.1; Hardware is a Pentium MMX,
>video accelerator is Diamond Stealth S220 (Rendition Verite
>chipset.)

>ObContribution:  Check out my VRML four-function calculator
>at <http://pubweb.nwu.edu/~are494/fourcalc.wrl>.

> -- Andrew Reid

Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Direct3D

2. vrml to direct3d

3. FireGL and Direct3D under NT

4. Direct3d VRML Browsers

5. Erratic RDSTC with Direct3D

6. Direct3D headers for Asm

7. Direct3D, *not* OpenGL

8. Rendering HTML classes/plugins/methods

9. Live-Rendering from bryce files!

10. picture-rendering dithers like hell !!!

11. Rendering HTML?

12. HTML render - browser component (OCX or DLL) for Clarion