Help! Slow moving problem
Author Message
 Help! Slow moving problem

I'm a newbie to VRML. I built 3D scene-20 ploygon based buildings-with
3D MAX 3 and exported the scene as VRML2. I tried to play it with
Netscape navigator with Cosmo Player Plugin 2.1, but it was too slow
and my system crashed. The WRL file size is only 266KB. I have no
problem to move the scene with Cosmo World 2.0.

Would you tell me what the problem is?

Here's the file.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thank you in advance.

Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! Slow moving problem
Make sure you make the 3D Max World in the standard max units and do NOT
work with meters.  Otherwise I don't know.

hope it helps
Steven

Quote:

> I'm a newbie to VRML. I built 3D scene-20 ploygon based buildings-with
> 3D MAX 3 and exported the scene as VRML2. I tried to play it with
> Netscape navigator with Cosmo Player Plugin 2.1, but it was too slow
> and my system crashed. The WRL file size is only 266KB. I have no
> problem to move the scene with Cosmo World 2.0.

> Would you tell me what the problem is?

> Here's the file.
> http://pages.prodigy.net/worx/vrml/chicago.wrl

> Thank you in advance.

Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! Slow moving problem

Yes, the wrl is huge in terms of visual spacing.
Try wrapping a transform around all the geometry
and setting the scale to .005 .005 .005
And use the default fieldOfView .785 in your viewpoint.

Quote:

> Make sure you make the 3D Max World in the standard max units and do NOT
> work with meters.  Otherwise I don't know.

> hope it helps
> Steven

> > I'm a newbie to VRML. I built 3D scene-20 ploygon based buildings-with
> > 3D MAX 3 and exported the scene as VRML2. I tried to play it with
> > Netscape navigator with Cosmo Player Plugin 2.1, but it was too slow
> > and my system crashed. The WRL file size is only 266KB. I have no
> > problem to move the scene with Cosmo World 2.0.

> > Would you tell me what the problem is?

> > Here's the file.
> > http://pages.prodigy.net/worx/vrml/chicago.wrl

> > Thank you in advance.

Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! Slow moving problem
Your very nifty looking cityscape loaded easily in the new Cortona on IE 4.

266 KB is a very big vrml file, in my experience, by the way.

You might try these things:

1.  Put the world inside a Collision node with the "collide" field set to
FALSE

2.  Add a NavigationInfo node to the world, and set the "speed" to a high
value, if you want people to walk or fly through the city.  (The default
speed for movement through the world is 1.0 meters per sec..  Way too slow.
Try 1000 instead, or more.)

3.  The first 3 IndexedFaceSets comprise about half the file (in lines,
maybe more in bytes).  Do you really need the river edges to be so smooth?
Can you define the streets with some long overlapping strips instead of
defining the street grid with a single IFS?  Anything that reduces the
number of edges should shrink the file size and also speed things up.

4.  Consider rebuilding the buildings with overlapping boxes instead of
Indexed face sets.  This *might* simply the optimization process for the
browser at run time

5.  Adjust the browser control panel to optimize the world for speed, and
turn off the anti-aliasing option.

6.  Change "solid FALSE" to "solid TRUE" wherever possible.  (When "solid"
if FALSE the browser has to render both sides of the IndexedFaceSet.  I
don't see *anything in your world that needs "solid FALSE": you've rendered
twice as many surfaces as you actually need.)

Actually, you made a really great model so far, and it actually moves *very*
smoothly on my dinosaur system after I raised the navigation speed and
inserted the world into a collision node.  (The choice of renderer affected
the smoothness of movement too.)  Suggestions 3 and 4 might help if you add
a lot more buildings; only one way to find out.

Quote:

>I'm a newbie to VRML. I built 3D scene-20 ploygon based buildings-with
>3D MAX 3 and exported the scene as VRML2. I tried to play it with
>Netscape navigator with Cosmo Player Plugin 2.1, but it was too slow
>and my system crashed. The WRL file size is only 266KB. I have no
>problem to move the scene with Cosmo World 2.0.

>Would you tell me what the problem is?

>Here's the file.
>http://pages.prodigy.net/worx/vrml/chicago.wrl

>Thank you in advance.

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. My browser moves too fast - Please help to slow it down

2. Moving text in canvas is sometimes slow

3. Hello, can someone help me with problem in a custom widget when moving window

4. slow, very slow

5. Move up/Move down buttons

6. Loop with Write key.vi goes slower and slower

7. SysCreateObject gets slower and slower

8. Group level move vs sub-group level move.

9. Slow file access - Slow program startup

10. Tcl getting slower and slower on HP-UX

11. moving icons when mouse moves, virus?

12. Copy vs Move Problem