defining "preferences" in cosmo with code
Author Message
 defining "preferences" in cosmo with code

Hello,
    I was wondering if it is possible to alter a user's preferences
(texture quality, renderer used, etc...) through Java, JS, or
VRMLscript. The world I'm working on looks the best using certain
settings, and I would like to assign those settings to the user's
browser every time they visit. It would be nice if I could read the
current settings as well. That way I could return the preferences when
they leave. Any thoughts?

Eric Maslowski

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~maslows3/

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 defining "preferences" in cosmo with code

Quote:
>     I was wondering if it is possible to alter a user's preferences
> (texture quality, renderer used, etc...) through Java, JS, or
> VRMLscript. The world I'm working on looks the best using certain
> settings, and I would like to assign those settings to the user's
> browser every time they visit. It would be nice if I could read the
> current settings as well. That way I could return the preferences when
> they leave. Any thoughts?

No. That's why they're called "user preferences", rather than "author
preferences".

--
Braden N. McDaniel

<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 defining "preferences" in cosmo with code
If I'm not mistaken, they are just "preferences". Not user or author. There
should be some method (other than stating on a HTML page "please set your
cosmo browser to...") to have the world start with the appearance the author
chooses. Sure, the user could then override these settings, but that is
entirely up to them. Similar to changing the text and background color of a
web page. The author defines how they want the page to look. the user can
override these settings through Netscape's "preferences" menu if they so
desire. Same idea. Define something as a "default" unless the user changes
it.

Eric

Quote:

> >     I was wondering if it is possible to alter a user's preferences
> > (texture quality, renderer used, etc...) through Java, JS, or
> > VRMLscript. The world I'm working on looks the best using certain
> > settings, and I would like to assign those settings to the user's
> > browser every time they visit. It would be nice if I could read the
> > current settings as well. That way I could return the preferences when
> > they leave. Any thoughts?

> No. That's why they're called "user preferences", rather than "author
> preferences".

> --
> Braden N. McDaniel

> <URI:http://www.endoframe.com>

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 defining "preferences" in cosmo with code

Quote:
> If I'm not mistaken, they are just "preferences". Not user or author.
There
> should be some method (other than stating on a HTML page "please set your
> cosmo browser to...") to have the world start with the appearance the
author
> chooses. Sure, the user could then override these settings, but that is
> entirely up to them. Similar to changing the text and background color of
> web page. The author defines how they want the page to look. the user can
> override these settings through Netscape's "preferences" menu if they so
> desire. Same idea. Define something as a "default" unless the user changes
> it.

Not the same idea. These kinds of user preferences in vrml browsers can
dramatically affect performance, and the user, not the author, knows what
his own machine is capable of handling respectably.

The HTML browser analog to what you're suggesting would be like forcing a
user to load images, even if he or she had turned off image loading in the
browser.

--
Braden N. McDaniel

<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>

Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 defining "preferences" in cosmo with code
Yeah that's true.  I would also like to do what Eric wants.  But I want to
force (or default) options that will help performance, is it wrong to want
to help? :)

And forget about if it is morally wrong or not, there must be a way if
someone digs deep and finds a way.  Hmm maybe a way in the HTML holding the
.wrl using Javascript or maybe embed parameters?

Quote:
>Not the same idea. These kinds of user preferences in VRML browsers can
>dramatically affect performance, and the user, not the author, knows what
>his own machine is capable of handling respectably.

>The HTML browser analog to what you're suggesting would be like forcing a
>user to load images, even if he or she had turned off image loading in the
>browser.

>--
>Braden N. McDaniel

><URI:http://www.endoframe.com>

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

2. define "variable" word

3. Redesigning "define interface"

4. defining "|" as or in Poplog Prolog

5. Lets define "pointer"

6. Lets define "pointer"

7. Naming of "defined?"

8. use defined PROTO in "Browser.createVrmlFromString"?

9. +define+unknown="'bx" chokes verilog

10. Defining "public" functions

11. "#define" and C2Ada

12. best way of defining a "timer"