FSM Encoding
Author Message
 FSM Encoding

Hello,
I am a VHDL student and search for information about encoding of finite state machines.
My question is, if one-step encoding of a 13 states moore machine reduce the combinational logic?

I hope that anyone can tell me about his experience with different encoding methods and synthesis results.
J.Schling

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FSM Encoding

Quote:

> Hello,
> I am a VHDL student and search for information
> about encoding of finite state machines.
> My question is, if one-step encoding of a 13
> states moore machine reduce the combinational logic?

A 13 state machine will require 4 D-flops with binary
encoding. Decoding a state would require a four input
gate or cell. There are three illegal states to handle.

The same machine with one-hot encoding will require
13 D-flops but no state decoding is necessary.
There are (2**13) -13 illegal states to handle

A Moore design description shows input synchronization
as part of the machine state vector.

A Mealy design description also requires input
synchronization for reliable operation, but this
synchronization is not shown on the  bubble diagram.
If you understand input synchronization and the resulting
delays, a Mealy description is more compact.

     -Mike Treseler

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FSM Encoding

Quote:

> Hello,
> I am a VHDL student and search for information about encoding of finite state machines.
> My question is, if one-step encoding of a 13 states moore machine reduce the combinational logic?

On http://www.vhdl-online.de/ you will find a VHDL-FSM tutorial.

Bye Tom!

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FSM enum encoding

2. Implicit looping, /, 'FSM's in J

3. FSm canonical in HASKELL

4. FSM's in Erlang

5. FSM function spec. proofs

6. FSM problem

7. Symbolic FSM in Verilog

8. Synopsys FSM Examples(Verilog)

9. Help: pointers on writing synthesizable FSM

10. FSM and Wait States

11. FSM init problem?

12. FSM problem faced by novice..